Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM/MM

When I call back after checking into my flight, what do I need to specifically say to the CSR in terms of the correct coding as s/he transfers the upgrade request to the gate? Given that some CSRs aren't well versed on the proper protocol and codes, I want to be able to be as direct and clear as possible (i.e., walking them step by step through the process, if necessary).

Thanks, fellow FTers! You all are awesome
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
When I call back after checking into my flight, what do I need to specifically say to the CSR in terms of the correct coding as s/he transfers the upgrade request to the gate? Given that some CSRs aren't well versed on the proper protocol and codes, I want to be able to be as direct and clear as possible (i.e., walking them step by step through the process, if necessary).

Thanks, fellow FTers! You all are awesome
Just ask to have your upgrade transfered to the standby list "oh you know, IT never seems to work these days" *laughs along with agent*

You will know that it is done when you appear on the standby upgrade list on the website/app/gate information screen
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
UPDATE: I just called again and got an agent who knew what she was doing. I just checked my PNR online, and it says, "SYSTEMWIDE UPGRADE REQUESTED" under my name. Is it safe to assume that everything has been coded correctly? The CSR said that there should be two segments on my one-segment flight: segment #1 is the confirmed K-class ticket; segment #2 is a "request" where it's coded as "PA1" and "OP." I'm not sure what "PA1" means.

For those who have successfully confirmed an upgrade on these transcon flights, can I call at any point up until maybe 45-minutes prior to departure--which is when the flight goes to gate control? I will be coming in on a non-ST international flight that same day and calling will be a little bit more difficult--that is, unless I can have my partner call DL on behalf of me. Is that allowed?
Search FT for SWU upgrade codes.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by j.bell
Just ask to have your upgrade transfered to the standby list "oh you know, IT never seems to work these days" *laughs along with agent*

You will know that it is done when you appear on the standby upgrade list on the website/app/gate information screen
It would be great to get as much detail about how this is done as possible so that we can instruct phone agents, many of whom seem to be incapable of performing this step.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
It would be great to get as much detail about how this is done as possible so that we can instruct phone agents, many of whom seem to be incapable of performing this step.
Exactly ! My mileage upgrade has been showing up as SWU requested in my reservation. Still didn't clear and I wonder if I need to do anything else now that I checked in ? I am unable to pull up the upgrade list for the flight on the app and on the web it comes up but all zeroed out and says I will be able to see my place when I check in....
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:28 pm

I am also wondering since my flight is tomorrow afternoon, should I try to to get moved to the gate list today or do that in the morning. I mean, is there a way these mileage upgrades (shown as SWU-requested) can clear overnight even after check in. My flight has 7 open BE seats at the moment and 1 non-rev on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by const3
I am also wondering since my flight is tomorrow afternoon, should I try to to get moved to the gate list today or do that in the morning. I mean, is there a way these mileage upgrades (shown as SWU-requested) can clear overnight even after check in. My flight has 7 open BE seats at the moment and 1 non-rev on the upgrade list.
My experience is that you are automatically moved and since you can see the list and you aren't on it, call.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Pretty straightforward:

Last edited by j.bell; Apr 28, 2014 at 9:16 pm Reason: ugh img size
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
I just flew JFK-SFO and used a SWU (or rather didnt use it but got upgraded anyway, but more on that later). I booked the flight in M class (about 3 hours prior to departure) and called res to apply the SWU. She was very nice and told me she had to check on the new rules for the trancons. After a few minutes she said that she could indeed apply the SWU, but that biz was full. No problem, I asked her to use it so that I would be on the active standby list. She said she would take care of it and ended the call.

I checked a few minutes later and there was not another segment showing the waitlisted biz class, and when I went the airport, they told me it was not in the system. I was told that they could not do it since it was less than 3 hours to dept. I asked for a supervisor and explained again that i had been told by res the info would be put in the system to use the SWU. I reminded the Supervisor that the 3 hour cutoff is not to use the the SWU, but if you are waitlisted and it has not cleared at 3 hours, you are transferred to the airport standby list. They called a help desk and were able to sort it out and put me on the upgrade list. Funny thing is, they used UP3, which is normal medallion upgrade code. They did not use UP2B, which is PM using SWU. Not a problem as I was the only upgrade request and I ended up getting the upgrade. I just checked Delta and the SWU is still there.

I have used my SWUs this year and I have to say that in general the agents have done a much better job in knowing either how to do it at the airport or the right person to call to get it done.

As a reminder, the proper upgrade codes for SWU or any of the other new upgrade coupons are: For DM, UP2A, for PM UP2B.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by sushi lover
I just flew JFK-SFO and used a SWU (or rather didnt use it but got upgraded anyway, but more on that later). I booked the flight in M class (about 3 hours prior to departure) and called res to apply the SWU. She was very nice and told me she had to check on the new rules for the trancons. After a few minutes she said that she could indeed apply the SWU, but that biz was full. No problem, I asked her to use it so that I would be on the active standby list. She said she would take care of it and ended the call.

I checked a few minutes later and there was not another segment showing the waitlisted biz class, and when I went the airport, they told me it was not in the system. I was told that they could not do it since it was less than 3 hours to dept. I asked for a supervisor and explained again that i had been told by res the info would be put in the system to use the SWU. I reminded the Supervisor that the 3 hour cutoff is not to use the the SWU, but if you are waitlisted and it has not cleared at 3 hours, you are transferred to the airport standby list. They called a help desk and were able to sort it out and put me on the upgrade list. Funny thing is, they used UP3, which is normal medallion upgrade code. They did not use UP2B, which is PM using SWU. Not a problem as I was the only upgrade request and I ended up getting the upgrade. I just checked Delta and the SWU is still there.

I have used my SWUs this year and I have to say that in general the agents have done a much better job in knowing either how to do it at the airport or the right person to call to get it done.

As a reminder, the proper upgrade codes for SWU or any of the other new upgrade coupons are: For DM, UP2A, for PM UP2B.
when did you fly? I had a similar situation and the SWU did get clsoed about a week later, to my disappointment
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
I am just curious to know how many SWU everyone has left. It isn't even may Yet so will the second half of the year be miserable for everyone?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:00 am

Pretty straightforward:
Thanks. I am trying the twitter route. So far two elite line reps told me that mileage upgrades can not be done at the gate and they can't do anything if they don't clear 24 hours prior to the flight....Both took a while seemingly to look for a way to do it...
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:13 am

Pretty straightforward:
and this is what I got from Delta Assist. Seems that the official line is still no mileage upgrades at the gate:

Me: Could you transfer by stby mlg upgrade to the gate list for my flight this afternoon. Confirmation# _____. Thank you.

Delta Assist: Thank you for your patience. While I see that you are wait-listed for your mileage upgrade, it will not be visible to you on the... 1/2

...standby list. If it becomes available you will be immediately notified. Thanks for choosing Delta and have a great day! *RB 2/2
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by const3
and this is what I got from Delta Assist. Seems that the official line is still no mileage upgrades at the gate:

Me: Could you transfer by stby mlg upgrade to the gate list for my flight this afternoon. Confirmation# _____. Thank you.

Delta Assist: Thank you for your patience. While I see that you are wait-listed for your mileage upgrade, it will not be visible to you on the... 1/2

...standby list. If it becomes available you will be immediately notified. Thanks for choosing Delta and have a great day! *RB 2/2
*shrug* i had been told by the GA on my outbound at JFK that either the in-concourse service desk could do it or the GM line could. then i went to the service desk and they said that the GM line could do it. then the GM line did it immediately. i guess maybe it's still really unclear which way the policy goes? reply back to them and say that you are at the gate and the GA says you are not on the list?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Seems more like some agents are unaware of the fact that policy dictates no mileage upgrades go to the gate, and some people have just been getting lucky. Reverse shena?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.