Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...are you aware of how much walk up there is on this route? I mean, I know you are bummed because you can't freeload a five course meal (and by this point WE REALLY GET IT - DL doesn't know HOW IMPORTANT your low rev butt is in their seat), but come on...there is a LOT of high revenue activity on this route.
No, I'm not aware of how much walkup there is on that route; but I am aware of the claim to which I was responding, that J was already sold out for the following day. EF didn't think so.

But you have to make it all about me, when I haven't even flown that route in years. It can't be purely about the facts for you; what does that say about your argument?
Old May 5, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ProfessAW
Out of the blue on DL 1262 on 5/3, I scan my boarding pass at the gate at the agent prints out a tiny receipt and says "you have a new seat". Upgraded to BE lie-flat from a cheap paid V connecting from SJC. Didn't ask for for the upgrade and the cabin was full. I was happy
Nice! Wonder if Y was oversold and you got an OpUp?

Originally Posted by MAH4546
And with amongst the lowest fares in the market, even after improved service, Delta still isn't capturing that market, especially with all of Hollywood in bed with American.
Touché. Delta appears to be losing in the market and pushing away medallions - be interested to see come next year how this worked out for them. Hope they have a backup plan.

Last edited by clr4t8koff; May 5, 2014 at 5:48 am
Old May 5, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post

And with amongst the lowest fares in the market, even after improved service, Delta still isn't capturing that market, especially with all of Hollywood in bed with American.

Touché. Delta appears to be losing in the market and pushing away medallions - be interested to see come next year how this worked out for them. Hope they have a backup plan.

So...the logic on here....agree with an unverifiable claim with affirmation and it becomes fact? LOL......I hope you have a backup plan if you want free BE.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by sethb
Since this is a relatively slow-to-show-results process, I'd give at least 6 months before Delta decides to make changes (and then, a full reversal might not be the case anyway
IMO, being able to use RPUs would be a fair tradeoff.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Nice! Wonder if Y was oversold and you got an OpUp?

So on the first half of your post, DL sells the cabin out, but on the second half, they're not capturing the market?
Old May 5, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by misterbean
So on the first half of your post, DL sells the cabin out, but on the second half, they're not capturing the market?
Thought I was the only one that caught that. LOL
Old May 5, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
They didn't sell the cabin out; they did an upgrade to an (obviously) unsold seat. We don't know how many other upgrades there had been. I was upgraded from a V or X or something on 11 March, and Y was not sold out.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
They didn't sell the cabin out; they did an upgrade to an (obviously) unsold seat. We don't know how many other upgrades there had been. I was upgraded from a V or X or something on 11 March, and Y was not sold out.
Thank you. Some people aren't smart enough to comprehend that.

Furthermore, the post I commented on was referring to DL being the cheapest in the JFK-LAX market and not capturing the high-end market, to which I agreed and then commented. I have no doubt DL is selling out the Y cabin with their fares. The BE cabin seems to be struggling according to loads posted by others.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Thought I was the only one that caught that. LOL
Apparently you and misterbean were the only two that didn't catch it....nice try though.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:14 am

BOSavi8tr in the house.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
BOSavi8tr in the house.
+1
Old May 5, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Cool Crapshow

So let me tell you about DL182 SEA-JFK last Friday...

Total .... show. Ended up on a ratty dirty 75M/N 22F aircraft without AVOD or power at the seats (deadly combo on a TCON without advanced warning). Total domestic F soft service- mini pillows/ red blankets, no amenity kits, no noise canceling headphones, 1 course "chicken or pasta", no nuts...

Cabin was nearly full, was showing 15 seats taken a few hours earlier, and sitting in row 3 the FA initially skipped 3 of the people ahead of me and the two next to me when asking meal preference.

While I was underwhelmed getting home hours later and a few hundred dollars/12.5k miles poorer, those non-medallion J buyers that Delta really wants were livid... Winning.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Write to DL and complain... they are pushing that as being 'premium' service and charging a premium price for it. Unacceptable to use POS equipment and not then even have the BE amenities or service.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Angry

Originally Posted by rylan
Write to DL and complain... they are pushing that as being 'premium' service and charging a premium price for it. Unacceptable to use POS equipment and not then even have the BE amenities or service.
Oh trust me...

I also just boarded 442 JFK-SEA and they pulled the exact same ..... Except the flight crew got them to get us the duvets.

Anyone want pics of the non revs who somehow have pillows that paying pax don't? :/

Edit: They got more pillows, but the ovens were malfunctioning, and they didn't cater the snack basket (or the burger patties for Y, apparently). The cabin had about 16 people in it, about 6 were space positive or non-rev employees. They seemed to give each paying pax traveling alone an isle with empty window seat next to them. I can only assume any medallion in EC was as mad as we were. I had the opportunity to re-watch the same VHS tape of Monument Men I saw on the way east on Friday, as we democratically voted on which VHS tape to play and none of the other paying passengers had seen it, and no one particularly wanted to see Spider-Man. Again the flight crew was great.

Last edited by mother-; May 6, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old May 6, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So seems like the JFK-SEA route is the black sheep of the "premium" tcon service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.