Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well time will tell to see if DL's bet is right to take this away. From the reports thus far it seems like BE is more full of NRSA's vs elites purchasing J. Not sure how that is "too good to give away." But admittedly this is anecdotal and we'll see what happens over time.
I'm pretty certain that DL runs well over a 50% paid load factor of the business class cabin on these premium transcon routes. Your statement that BE is more full of nonrevs than paid J passengers would have to be inaccurate. I've flown four transcons up front since the change and they have all been very full (1-3 empty seats going to the gate) with the exception of one Saturday flight that had only 10 occupied BE seats (of 26) and went out with 9 empty. I would agree with the statement up thread that there must be a lot more medallions on a flight than nonrevs.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Well with new Premium SDC, you can SDC to any other flight as long as they're J1. Even with a mileage upgrade/SWU
Does anyone know if this is really true? Via Twitter and phone they won't do a SDC to another flight without OU inventory open.

I'm booked for JFK-SEA tomorrow using K+SWU and want to SDC to a flight in the afternoon. Currently there is 3(J).
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Response from DLAssist
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen mixed results. Previously with SDC you needed the RP/OP inventory (not OU, that is medallion upgrade inventory) on the flight you're changing to. The wording seems to imply you can SDC as long as there is F/J available if you're on a paid or instrument upgrade now, but that doesn't really make sense to me.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sky303
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: There are pretty objectively less nonrevs on almost any given flight than medallions, especially medallion heavy routes like the JFK BE TCONs.....
Going forward there will be no "free" upgrades of paying passengers. Next to you will be one of 3 - 1) an FC paid passenger (be it FAP fare or SWU or gate sold upgrade), 2) an empty seat or 3) a Delta employee. You will no longer have the pleasure of a DM on a L fare with a complimentary upgrade.

And that is a big bonus for Delta's employees and a big bummer for the DM on an L fare.

If you fly any amount at all of TATL in J, you will have experienced this concept already. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the party bus atmosphere that occurs with more frequency than you might guess, which is especially challenging when I'm going to work, and they are going to play.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NYCsoundguy
Does anyone know if this is really true? Via Twitter and phone they won't do a SDC to another flight without OU inventory open.

I'm booked for JFK-SEA tomorrow using K+SWU and want to SDC to a flight in the afternoon. Currently there is 3(J).
Well after two phone calls and multiple twitter requests, I was able to finally get a SDC done. Normal Delta.... Keep trying till you get it done. Guess it wasn't coded properly.... shocking

Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I would agree with the statement up thread that there must be a lot more medallions on a flight than nonrevs.
And based on the empty seats in EC, I'd say that the more appropraite statement would have been "There WERE more medallions on these flights than nonrevs now".

BTW The domestic F equipment really is salt in the wound though...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
How much money is DL pissing away by have medallions stay in the EC seats?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Originally Posted by const3
Thanks. Will try from the airport and report.
Last attempt to have the mileage upgrade moved to the gate was successful yesterday. Twitted to delta assist that the gate agent is unable to see my upgrade and they moved it 5 min later and my upgrade cleared 5 min after that. Great service on the flight for what it's worth....
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by const3
Last attempt to have the mileage upgrade moved to the gate was successful yesterday. Twitted to delta assist that the gate agent is unable to see my upgrade and they moved it 5 min later and my upgrade cleared 5 min after that. Great service on the flight for what it's worth....
Can you copy paste the verbiage used with DL Assist? I'm about to do this SEA-ATL-MSY tomorrow and SEA-JFK next week, so want to ensure I'm using the right lingo!

Also, when did you make the request... How far ahead of departure?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:46 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by Playsmart
How much money is DL pissing away by have medallions stay in the EC seats?
Right this is actually true
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Right this is actually true
Really?! Are you in DL Revenue Management?

So instead of pissing away $59 on an EC upgrade, they should piss away $1400 on a BE upgrade? That makes more business sense?

The analysis on here is laughable. The only people making a stink are those unwilling or UNABLE to pay for the service they desire. Not a very strong argument "I want it, but can't afford it....give me more incentives" .

Last edited by bubbashow; Apr 30, 2014 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mother-
And based on the empty seats in EC, I'd say that the more appropraite statement would have been "There WERE more medallions on these flights than nonrevs now".

BTW The domestic F equipment really is salt in the wound though...
I must have been traveling at really peak times because I didn't notice any empty seats in EC on my recent flights except the 76Z on a Saturday but YMMV. I'd imagine DL is doing just fine but maybe you have the inside scoop and should be in charge.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I must have been traveling at really peak times because I didn't notice any empty seats in EC on my recent flights except the 76Z on a Saturday but YMMV. I'd imagine DL is doing just fine but maybe you have the inside scoop and should be in charge.
Hey GYE.... Do you recall if seats CDE in Rows 16 and 17 were economy comfort seats on the 76Z version1? In the past (and reflected on this general seat map dl.com: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....smt-gold.html) the middle seats of Rows 16 and 17 were normal economy seating. But the past couple of weeks, all of the live seat maps for 76Z v1 (book a flight-view seats, or if you are booked on the 76Z v1 equipment then in the Change Seats from your booking) are showing these seats as purchasable economy comfort. Have you been on a 76Z v1 recently? And did you notice whether they have changed CDE on 16/17 to Economy Comfort? Do you have any travel coming up soon on a 76Z v1?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by NWA_Junkie
Hey GYE.... Do you recall if seats CDE in Rows 16 and 17 were economy comfort seats on the 76Z version1? In the past (and reflected on this general seat map dl.com: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....smt-gold.html) the middle seats of Rows 16 and 17 were normal economy seating. But the past couple of weeks, all of the live seat maps for 76Z v1 (book a flight-view seats, or if you are booked on the 76Z v1 equipment then in the Change Seats from your booking) are showing these seats as purchasable economy comfort. Have you been on a 76Z v1 recently? And did you notice whether they have changed CDE on 16/17 to Economy Comfort? Do you have any travel coming up soon on a 76Z v1?
I've flown on a couple 76Z v1 however I haven't done it in coach. I believe row 16 and 17 CDE are not EC seats though unless they recently went through some adjustment. There are only 29 seats in EC on the 76Zs which would make it seem odd if v1 had 35 seats in EC and v2 had 29 seats - would be a nightmare if they swapped equipment from one 76Z to another. So I'm not sure why DL is marketing it as EC if they haven't done any mod recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.