Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I'll go with option #1. A $695.00 K fare +25K miles still isn't a bad deal to get confirmed into J.
Assuming that inventory does open up. We know you can't buy up at the gate, and there are posts here of people still not clearing until the gate on SWU's, so in those cases a mileage UG would be sitting in the back.

And starting 2015 that K fare is technically costing more miles since you will only earn 7645 RDM's instead of 10K back as a DM and even worse (6255) as a PM .
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:59 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
What would your choice be on JFK to LAX RT:

1 A Delta K fare for $695.00 +25K miles with upgrade inventory available or,

2 A Jetblue Mint fare for $1200.00 RT and no miles/points required.

I'll go with option #1. A $695.00 K fare +25K miles still isn't a bad deal to get confirmed into J. Your also saving $500 over the jetblue fare plus your getting a much better experience and a direct aisle access seat. Sucks to burn the miles. Another way to do this is this: Buy a DL H fare which is about the same amount as a MINT ticket. Your skymiles earning will net you about 15,600 miles, almost enough to cover the cost of the upgrade.
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Assuming that inventory does open up. We know you can't buy up at the gate, and there are posts here of people still not clearing until the gate on SWU's, so in those cases a mileage UG would be sitting in the back.

And starting 2015 that K fare is technically costing more miles since you will only earn 7645 RDM's instead of 10K back as a DM and even worse (6255) as a PM .
That would be my concern, since unlike an SWU, Gate Agents are not required to clear mileage upgrades at the gate (day of departure).

This is a major annoyance; and makes mileage upgrades quite risky. Considering that KLM will clear a mileage upgrade in AMS (day of departure, at the lounge or transfer desk); it's unacceptable, IMO, that Delta can't figure out how to do this, at minimum for Medallions.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Your also saving $500 over the jetblue fare
Well using 25K for a $500 savings is not what I would call a great deal @ 2cpm, just average at best, although certainly better than PWM.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Well using 25K for a $500 savings is not what I would call a great deal @ 2cpm, just average at best, although certainly better than PWM.
Its not a great deal but at least its an option that allows you to fly up front with DL. Paying $1200 for the JB MINT experience is not an option. Thats to much loot to pay for a 5 1/2 hour flight.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
That would be my concern, since unlike an SWU, Gate Agents are not required to clear mileage upgrades at the gate (day of departure).

This is a major annoyance; and makes mileage upgrades quite risky. Considering that KLM will clear a mileage upgrade in AMS (day of departure, at the lounge or transfer desk); it's unacceptable, IMO, that Delta can't figure out how to do this, at minimum for Medallions.
I have a JFK-SFO tomorrow in K that I have a mileage upgrade in for. All agents have assured me that if there is space, it will clear at the gate. Going to be sure to get there early to talk to the GA and club agents. The 10am (serviced by 76W) looks very very open in front (J9, only a handful of seats taken), and my flight (DL432) is J8. Will let you all know how it goes... For the flights I needed, K was the lowest fair available so I wasn't standing to lose much.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by j.bell
I have a JFK-SFO tomorrow in K that I have a mileage upgrade in for. All agents have assured me that if there is space, it will clear at the gate. Going to be sure to get there early to talk to the GA and club agents. The 10am (serviced by 76W) looks very very open in front (J9, only a handful of seats taken), and my flight (DL432) is J8. Will let you all know how it goes... For the flights I needed, K was the lowest fair available so I wasn't standing to lose much.
It's my understanding tickets upgraded with miles require UG space opening in advance and are not processed at the gate.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by rwoman
It's my understanding tickets upgraded with miles require UG space opening in advance and are not processed at the gate.
mine too (from int'l experience), which is why i was so surprised when the phone agent who put me on the wait list for it said that for TCON they will do it at the gate (a seemingly reasonable and appropriate policy! gasp!)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
mine too (from int'l experience), which is why i was so surprised when the phone agent who put me on the wait list for it said that for TCON they will do it at the gate (a seemingly reasonable and appropriate policy! gasp!)
Definitely provide feedback on what happens. Unfortunately, we know phone agents have been mistaken before...

Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Someone earlier in the thread said the bought K and used miles to request an UG, and ended up clearing at the gate. I asked about it a little further but never heard back. Perhaps there's been a change? I'm flying on Monday next week SFO-JFK on a Q fare with miles UG requested, so I'll definitely report back on that experience.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
They're wrong.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Unfortunately, we know phone agents have been mistaken before...

I'm batting less than 50% lately with phone agents!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by stencil
So I'm #3 on UG list for DL 2362 LAX-JFK using K+miles. 5 minutes ago there were 8 open seats in J. Suddenly there are 3, 1 hour from departure. Interesting.
Originally Posted by stencil
I did end up clearing. For what it's worth, so did about 5 non-revs.
From earlier in the thread...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jason2380102
Flew JFK to LAX today - Business class was 1/8 full (of that, half non-rev). Absolutely teed off passengers in Economy comfort, some quotes:

- I'm a Diamond and this is the first time I've had to fly Economy on this route - ....
- This is disgusting that they have those seats empty.

However, was amazed that people actually seemed to be surprised by this.

Here's an idea - is there something like a flyer we can print out, and in it:

a) Tell people how to complain on Delta.com
b) Give them some ideas of how to switch via status math to another airline
c) Also give them some idea of the looming mileage program changes of Delta, should they need to be convinced what a crappy airline it is?

I thought I would find a bunch of guys like you on-board, but it's amazing that the general mass of FFs don't know that much about what's going on - and we need to get those guys informed/protesting to affect any changes....
Just create, print and distribute it yourself. Post it here and others on the route may participate.

I prefer to think of this as the revenge of KingOfVegas. Remember that poster who flew non-rev with his FA girlfriend and bragged about benefiting from Shena and taunted the paying customers? And I remarked that his presence was good for the forum because it reminds us how DL really views their customers. And verily, it came to pass. And these won't be the last routes to lose complimentary UGs.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Please do report back on this. And, if you have the chance and the GA is not too busy....if they do end up processing it at the gate, it would be great to ask the GA exactly what the policy is for processing mileage upgrades at the gate, and even what the process is for them to do it.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A $695.00 K fare +25K miles still isn't a bad deal to get confirmed into J.
True, but for people who fly this route all the time, weekly, etc, this could end up burning too many miles to make this workable longterm plan. For the occasional trip it's fine, but if you fly weekly this would be over 1 million miles a year--at a time when miles are about to become more valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.