Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would put money on them raising the mileage upgrade level to be in line with other BE products.....25K each way.
I definitely think the cost will go up. Not 25k, but I could see 15k or whatever the % premium the up charge on domestic F awards on the premium routes.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
No matter who and how many times I asked, this was never possible previously. Glad there is now hope.

How far in advance of departure did they do this for you?
i requested the UG at booking (approx 3 weeks prior). after checking in i requested to be put on the airport standby (approx 18 hours before departure). on the outbound i was getting a run-around and got on the airport standby at almost exactly T-60, which turned out to be lucky because the GA processed standbys 10 minutes later.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by j.bell
i requested the UG at booking (approx 3 weeks prior). after checking in i requested to be put on the airport standby (approx 18 hours before departure). on the outbound i was getting a run-around and got on the airport standby at almost exactly T-60, which turned out to be lucky because the GA processed standbys 10 minutes later.
Well it sounds like to me you Sheena'd onto the UG list. I guess the tactic is keep calling back until you find someone incompetent.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Well it sounds like to me you Sheena'd onto the UG list. I guess the tactic is keep calling back until you find someone incompetent.
which is what i thought too at first, except that the miles were deducted. so i wasn't just placed in J.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by roknroll
Someone earlier in the thread said the bought K and used miles to request an UG, and ended up clearing at the gate. I asked about it a little further but never heard back. Perhaps there's been a change? I'm flying on Monday next week SFO-JFK on a Q fare with miles UG requested, so I'll definitely report back on that experience.
Well, I guess I won't be able to report on the gate upgrade experience of miles after all. Flying SFO – JFK on Monday morning for the 6:45AM flight, and I got an ExpertFlyer notification last night showing available seats. When I went to check further, my jaw just about hit the floor when I saw they released 7 advance upgrade seats a few days out. Definitely a nice thing to see for a Monday morning departure.

Last edited by roknroll; Apr 13, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by roknroll
Well, I guess I won't be able to report on the gate upgrade experience of miles after all. Flying SFO – JFK on Monday morning for the 6:45AM flight, and I got an ExpertFlyer notification last night showing available. When I went to check further, my job just about hit the floor when I saw they released 7 advance upgrade seats a few days out. Definitely a nice thing to see for a Monday morning departure.
I've got a BOS-JFK segment still waitlisted for an UG connecting to a BE transcon next week. I'll be sure to report back on whether it goes to the gate.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I have heard that mileage upgrades into BE have been clearing at the gate on JFK-SFO/LAX flights. Has anyone had this experience?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by GGBFlyer
I have heard that mileage upgrades into BE have been clearing at the gate on JFK-SFO/LAX flights. Has anyone had this experience?
Yes, please see the earlier posts in this thread by j.bell.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Tried to use SWU cert on SEA - JFK. Outbound, there was 4 seats available until 2 hours prior to flight. And than nothing. Not sure who got those 4 seats.

On inbound flight there was 7 seats available until 1 hour prior to departure and than it showed nothing.

I boarded with my EC seat but only to find that there was actual seats open in First.

That said, i do understand Delta, this is a long flight and people are buying First on this leg due to the distance. So it make sense to upgrade the cabin with the good seats etc.

On the other hand, i do believe they understand that loyalty becomes less. When i know there is no chance of any upgrade, I go by price so next time on this leg I am booked on Alaska (AA) flight due to $100 cheaper. Never thought I would do that as I have been 100% loyal to Delta for years.

Not the most active, but fly 200k + miles a year and million miler.

Many frequent fliers go out of their way to stay with one carrier including paying premium prices even if competitive prices are available on different carriers as well as many times purchasing M + fares due to upgrades chances etc. But if the lack of upgrades (in particular certs) are going away I think overall the net profit might be negative over time.

-ok
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I agree.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Many frequent fliers go out of their way to stay with one carrier including paying premium prices even if competitive prices are available on different carriers as well as many times purchasing M + fares due to upgrades chances etc. But if the lack of upgrades (in particular certs) are going away I think overall the net profit might be negative over time.

-ok
I agree with you (except that it won't necessarily lead to negative net profits, but a decline in revenue), and although there are people on this board who a) believe these people don't exist or b) if they do exist, they are not "good business", I think this impact will be greater than DL anticipates. But no one knows for sure what's going to happen.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
Tried to use SWU cert on SEA - JFK. Outbound, there was 4 seats available until 2 hours prior to flight. And than nothing. Not sure who got those 4 seats.

On inbound flight there was 7 seats available until 1 hour prior to departure and than it showed nothing.

I boarded with my EC seat but only to find that there was actual seats open in First.

That said, i do understand Delta, this is a long flight and people are buying First on this leg due to the distance. So it make sense to upgrade the cabin with the good seats etc.

On the other hand, i do believe they understand that loyalty becomes less. When i know there is no chance of any upgrade, I go by price so next time on this leg I am booked on Alaska (AA) flight due to $100 cheaper. Never thought I would do that as I have been 100% loyal to Delta for years.

Not the most active, but fly 200k + miles a year and million miler.

-ok
were you on the gate upgrade list?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
2344 SEA-JFK, Sun 13 Apr: I got to the gate approx 1040 for 1115 departure and saw that the one name on the "Cleared List" screen on GIDS showed "UP" ... the "Seats Remaining" screen never appeared before I boarded, and we went out with at least two empty J seats
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
2344 (SEA-JFK 1115) was 8/16 full on Monday 14Apr. I am not sure what happened, as there were j9 seats for sale - but only 8 seats physically. I suspect a sole non-rev made his or her way up.

I boarded last and didn't check GIDS for details :/

EC and the rest of the economy cabin were wide open as well... very comfy ride and amazing forward cabin crew...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by j.bell
were you on the gate upgrade list?
Not sure, not on the iPhone app list. I boarded early since I was in first non-first and wanted space for my carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.