Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
.... and those paying enough will have their desired cabin and seat.
Yes, on AA or B6, some of them. The ones buying BE on Delta now are the same ones buying it before, but Delta pushed some of them out when they raised the price up so much. It's only because of the price increase that I upgraded last year as much as I did.

The no-upgrade policy won't bring in more paying passengers, because paying passengers don't care about defining other people as Untermenschen and don't spend their time worrying about whether Untermenschen are in the same cabin with them. They care about the experience, and the Delta experience on transcons isn't worth the price for a lot of people that have the cash to pay for it but don't feel the value they get is worth it. Thus the empty seats.
Old May 1, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
All NS LAX to JFK flights, when checked the day before, seem to be sold out in J.
Today's remaining JFK to LAX NS are J7, J2, J1, J5. Tomorrow's are J9, J9, J2, J9, J9, J4, J8, J9.

In the other direction, today's are all J0, tomorrow's are J8, J6, J6, J9, J5, J1, J4, J7.

So it does not appear they're selling out (and if they did, upgrade possibility wouldn't matter, anyway).
Old May 1, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
agreed that its been only two months, not nearly long enough. So, in your opinion, how much time will go by before Delta 'reverses course' on this?
Since this is a relatively slow-to-show-results process, I'd give at least 6 months before Delta decides to make changes (and then, a full reversal might not be the case anyway).

...and trains the DM that he/she can expect a $1400 seat for $249, thus assuring that this "elite"-level flyer will never spend what is required to sit up front.

btw...I thought the argument on here was that all the DM were leaving anyway? If that is the case, we don't need to worry about that argument.
In my world, "expect" does not mean "maybe 1/3 of the time". Even though I'm fully eligible for upgrades traveling, say, NYC-MSP, I mostly don't get them; I certainly don't expect them.

If it's sufficiently important to me to sit up front then I'd pay for it rather than roll the dice and probably lose.

And "all the DM were leaving anyway" is your strawman, not an argument made by any real person. Some DM are leaving, in whole or in part.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
Originally Posted by doubleA
Quote:

Originally Posted by const3

Last attempt to have the mileage upgrade moved to the gate was successful yesterday. Twitted to delta assist that the gate agent is unable to see my upgrade and they moved it 5 min later and my upgrade cleared 5 min after that. Great service on the flight for what it's worth....

Can you copy paste the verbiage used with DL Assist? I'm about to do this SEA-ATL-MSY tomorrow and SEA-JFK next week, so want to ensure I'm using the right lingo!

Also, when did you make the request... How far ahead of departure?
I just said I am at the gate and the agent is unable to see my upgrade request "can you transfer it here so she can clear". This was about 90 min to departure. They responded 5 min later that I was all set and I saw myself on the list. I am not sure it would work on sea-atl, isn't that a normal complementary elite upgrade ? You would be on the list anyway.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
Today's remaining JFK to LAX NS are J7, J2, J1, J5. Tomorrow's are J9, J9, J2, J9, J9, J4, J8, J9.

In the other direction, today's are all J0, tomorrow's are J8, J6, J6, J9, J5, J1, J4, J7.

So it does not appear they're selling out (and if they did, upgrade possibility wouldn't matter, anyway).
...are you aware of how much walk up there is on this route? I mean, I know you are bummed because you can't freeload a five course meal (and by this point WE REALLY GET IT - DL doesn't know HOW IMPORTANT your low rev butt is in their seat), but come on...there is a LOT of high revenue activity on this route.
Old May 1, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The no-upgrade policy won't bring in more paying passengers, because paying passengers don't care about defining other people as Untermenschen and don't spend their time worrying about whether Untermenschen are in the same cabin with them.
It may not bring in more people paying J prices, but it may bring in more money via upgrades.

I've already bought up to K and used (old) SWUs 4 times when I would have bought X or V instead. 3 of the 4 times confirmed at booking, the fourth cleared at the gate. So far the UG lists I've seen have had around 2 people on them on average, so if DL went from giving BE away to K+SWU or K+mileage buy-ups, they're ahead.

I actually have no problem with this. My issue is that K+miles works out to be about the same price as B6, except B6 will confirm me in advance on any flight whereas DL has very limited inventory for UG. Once the 50% RDM reduction comes into play next year, DL will have no advantage to me in carrier selection.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by bennos
It may not bring in more people paying J prices, but it may bring in more money via upgrades.

I've already bought up to K and used (old) SWUs 4 times when I would have bought X or V instead. 3 of the 4 times confirmed at booking, the fourth cleared at the gate. So far the UG lists I've seen have had around 2 people on them on average, so if DL went from giving BE away to K+SWU or K+mileage buy-ups, they're ahead.

I actually have no problem with this. My issue is that K+miles works out to be about the same price as B6, except B6 will confirm me in advance on any flight whereas DL has very limited inventory for UG. Once the 50% RDM reduction comes into play next year, DL will have no advantage to me in carrier selection.
DL K fares on JFK to LAX are running around $820.00 for the few random dates I checked in Sept/Oct. That will net you approx 10660 skymiles. Almost enough for a one way redemption into J. I have to decide if the jetblue MINT deal is better. Thing is, the whole Delta JFK experience tilts my decision making towards DL's K fares. I absolutely love the new sky terrace in T4. I usually get to the AP several hours ahead of time and spend just about all of it on the terrace, enjoying the drink, food and the planes landing and taking off. Call me old school but I absolutely get a huge thrill out of that...it relaxes me.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
DL K fares on JFK to LAX are running around $820.00 for the few random dates I checked in Sept/Oct. That will net you approx 10660 skymiles. Almost enough for a one way redemption into J. I have to decide if the jetblue MINT deal is better. Thing is, the whole Delta JFK experience tilts my decision making towards DL's K fares. I absolutely love the new sky terrace in T4. I usually get to the AP several hours ahead of time and spend just about all of it on the terrace, enjoying the drink, food and the planes landing and taking off. Call me old school but I absolutely get a huge thrill out of that...it relaxes me.
I go to Wingtips and spend the time eating decent food and drinking decent drinks, and watching planes landing and taking off, and generally pop into the Skyclub for a shower. I miscalculated last time and Skyclub showers were full and I didn't have enough time. I was telling this to a friend, saying Wingtips has OK showers and Skyclub has great showers - she said, what's wrong with an OK shower. A fair point.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Not to stray too far of topic - I'm right there with you and most people don't understand how cathartic it is to watch planes land and take off unless you're an enthusiast like us. While the SkyDeck is an awesome amenity and I can't wait to try it now that the restrictions on SkyClub entrance have started, the problem is that the Northeast isn't exactly known for its great outdoor weather. The SkyDeck's shelf-life each year is about 3.5 months. I'll definitely take it, but I'd rather DL invest in other amenities like more substantial food, than to build decks which are more limited use novelty items. Just my opinion....

Last edited by clr4t8koff; May 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old May 1, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I must have been traveling at really peak times because I didn't notice any empty seats in EC on my recent flights except the 76Z on a Saturday but YMMV. I'd imagine DL is doing just fine but maybe you have the inside scoop and should be in charge.
You must have, or you're on acid.

And thank you for recognizing my brilliance, it warms the cockles of my heart.

Thing is, the whole Delta JFK experience tilts my decision making towards DL's K fares. I absolutely love the new sky terrace in T4. I usually get to the AP several hours ahead of time and spend just about all of it on the terrace, enjoying the drink, food and the planes landing and taking off. Call me old school but I absolutely get a huge thrill out of that...it relaxes me.
Perhaps you spend hours sitting in the SkyClub to gather or regain your strength for the Long Walk

But being serious, I, and most of the people I know, are massively turned off by the debacle of flying in/out of T4
-If you don't get PreCheck, security is a nightmare
-It's an ungodly long walk to the new gates
-The travelators are too narrow to pass a standing person, so I hope you're not in a rush.
-It's an ungodly long walk to get out of the terminal from ANY gate

I've actually started using LeGarbage to avoid it when I'm doing carry-on travel... The long connector to B9 is a breeze compared to doing T4, and their lounge has none of the faults of the SkyClub
Old May 2, 2014, 1:23 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I'd love to know where you're finding these $249 fares. I just did a Matrix search for 0-4 nights for May, June, July, Aug, Sept and Oct. for DL and the cheapest flight I could find was $520 on July 4th.
I've never found a $249 fare, but I have booked this trip for $315 RT a few times. Delta hates customers like me. I got PM from mostly business travel and then I spend the least amount of money possible for personal flights. My reaction towards this new policy is that it sucks, but it's life.

Also switching jobs soon so I'll rarely fly any airline anymore.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DM/3MM
...are you aware of how much walk up there is on this route? I mean, I know you are bummed because you can't freeload a five course meal (and by this point WE REALLY GET IT - DL doesn't know HOW IMPORTANT your low rev butt is in their seat), but come on...there is a LOT of high revenue activity on this route.
Why do so many of your posts have a loud and angry tone? Is there a sadness or unhappiness in your life? It seems like you are overcompensating for something.

The tone of many of your posts, as well as some of those who agree and disagree with you, encourage me to not participate/contribute to this forum. And I can't be alone.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, AA GLD, Hyatt PLT, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Starbucks Gold
LAX-JFK medallion upgrade

Out of the blue on DL 1262 on 5/3, I scan my boarding pass at the gate at the agent prints out a tiny receipt and says "you have a new seat". Upgraded to BE lie-flat from a cheap paid V connecting from SJC. Didn't ask for for the upgrade and the cabin was full. I was happy
Old May 4, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
And with amongst the lowest fares in the market, even after improved service, Delta still isn't capturing that market, especially with all of Hollywood in bed with American.
Old May 4, 2014, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Why do so many of your posts have a loud and angry tone? Is there a sadness or unhappiness in your life? It seems like you are overcompensating for something.

The tone of many of your posts, as well as some of those who agree and disagree with you, encourage me to not participate/contribute to this forum. And I can't be alone.
I hope you will stick around. Most of us are not like this user and several others who follow his technique of trying to get you to subscribe to their point of view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.