Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by terryb99
I replied that was great, because my buddy said I could not get an upgrade on the JFK-SEA flight. He said that you can when they are full, and they were a few seats short.
Sounds like the flight was oversold in coach. You never know, JFK transcon "op-ups" might happen more frequently over the summer due to the higher number of leisure travelers, kids out of school, etc.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there were about 8 OpUp beneficiaries of the oversell on 1542 (SEA-JFK redeye) when I last flew it about a month ago ... of course it was a 26F 757, and there were still nearly a dozen empty seats up front
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:43 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by mother-
So it seems that Elites are adapting to the new normal- either you use/attempt to use an instrument to upgrade, or you don't fly the flight.
not exactly..... looks like upgrades are back, (well, sort of) for Diamonds and Platinum Medallions.

This is not an “official” policy change, but Delta is now offering occasional comp upgrades to its specially outfitted and serviced Business Elite cabins flying between New York JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle.
“Delta is handling this on a case by base basis,” Delta spokesperson Anthony Black told TravelSkills. “While the policy has not changed, we have now begun to award our top medallion customers upgrades on those flights during slower travel periods or as the operation permits.”
Today, I showed up and in the Sky Club, the agent asked me if I knew I was on the upgrade list. I said, no, I didn’t understand. She said it just started two days ago, likely due to so many complaints since those upgrades went away. From what I understand, the upgrades started June 20. Only diamonds and platinums are eligible, and only on paid fares (no upgrades for golds or silvers, and no upgrades on mileage tickets.) Nothing shows yet on the Delta website. Apparently, if you qualify, you’re placed on the upgrade standby list six hours before departure. I don’t know anything more about it than that, and I can’t find any info on the web about it
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
not exactly..... looks like upgrades are back, (well, sort of) for Diamonds and Platinum Medallions.
Another reason I'll make DM again. I often prefer going via JFK...might be a masochistic, but I like having the opportunity to have Shake Shack on my way home (even though it's in London now). Of course the VS Clubhouse on the way back to LHR is always nice as well.

Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by rwoman
Another reason I'll make DM again. I often prefer going via JFK...might be a masochistic, but I like having the opportunity to have Shake Shack on my way home (even though it's in London now). Of course the VS Clubhouse on the way back to LHR is always nice as well.
Well, Diamond is the only worthwhile status now, IMHO. (for a family of two Diamonds that's 8 Global Upgrades!)

Ironically, looks like I'll easily qualify for Diamond this year; and the SO (who is usually the "lock") is lagging since cancellations of her J trips AMS-NBO-AMS, AMS-ICN-NRT-AMS, and AMS-MEX-AMS. But, I have a feeling, her travels will pick up next quarter. (and they better, since it's not really so great for our relationship when she is around so much..... )

Funny, about this upgrade program. Since "strange things," have been happening for me recently ex-AMS and ex-BOS on Delta. I'm not complaining; but let's say, I "think" Delta is really starting to "wake up" to the HVC concept.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
If they bring this back for DM/PM that would be nice - but why not separate DM and PM more? I mean I don't really care because as a DM I would clear before a PM, but this would better emulate AA in their EXP complimentary UG's only.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
If they bring this back for DM/PM that would be nice - but why not separate DM and PM more? I mean I don't really care because as a DM I would clear before a PM, but this would better emulate AA in their EXP complimentary UG's only.
The point is well taken.

Heck, why not make Diamond more and more "special." Then, at least, people can complain about SkyMiles but at least admit that "top tier" is "really" "top tier."

A simple differentiation (from Platinum) like Diamond Medallions get Global Upgrades and TransCon upgrades would be a strong selling point. I "think" you just need to modify the AMEX waiver program and MQD requirements. Perhaps, AMEX waiver at $50K or MQD requirement of $25K for Diamond Medallion. I hardly think Delta is going to offer (more and more) "special perks" to Diamond Medallions with the current relatively low qualification requirements.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
The point is well taken.

Heck, why not make Diamond more and more "special." Then, at least, people can complain about SkyMiles but at least admit that "top tier" is "really" "top tier."

A simple differentiation (from Platinum) like Diamond Medallions get Global Upgrades and TransCon upgrades would be a strong selling point. I "think" you just need to modify the AMEX waiver program and MQD requirements. Perhaps, AMEX waiver at $50K or MQD requirement of $25K for Diamond Medallion. I hardly think Delta is going to offer (more and more) "special perks" to Diamond Medallions with the current relatively low qualification requirements.
Low? DL's qualification is the highest in the US for its top tier status. AA only requires 100k miles vs. DL's 125k AND $12,500 MQD (for those without the AMEX waiver). Not really seeing how that's a relatively low qualification requirement???
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Low? DL's qualification is the highest in the US for its top tier status. AA only requires 100k miles vs. DL's 125k AND $12,500 MQD (for those without the AMEX waiver). Not really seeing how that's a relatively low qualification requirement???
I value the 4 Global Upgrades at around $4,000+/- (which is a very conservative estimate, IMO). If people (Diamond Medallions) want more Global Upgrades (and other perks), the relative "cost" of achieving Diamond has to be in line with the reward.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to start giving out 6-8 Global Upgrades, and other "special" Diamond Medallion perks, $12,500 in yearly spend is too low (and potentially possible to "game," true... not an easy game... but, if you were to spend $12,500 in yearly flying and reap 8 upgrades worth $8K+++ + some RDMs + domestic upgrades + a few other "special perks," I'd say it would probably be worth your while....)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
I wouldn't say I was wrong so much as that Delta came to the same conclusion that I did... And as the non-sycophants have been saying since it was announced- the no UG policy was a dumb business move.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:54 pm

The point is well taken.

Not so fast...

-------
“Delta is handling this on a case by base basis,” Delta spokesperson Anthony Black told TravelSkills. “While the policy has not changed, we have now begun to award our top medallion customers upgrades on those flights during slower travel periods or as the operation permits.” Which means the horror and frustration of being seated in coach when there are empty seats up front is now less likely. But not completely UN-likely.
-------

As long as this doesn't become official change, setting foot on TCON is silly when UA, AA, and even B6 have affordable premium class options.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Some of us make DM by Feb/Mar so yeah, i think the DM qualification is too low. I agree with Baccarat MQD should be at least $25k.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Not so fast...

-------
“Delta is handling this on a case by base basis,” Delta spokesperson Anthony Black told TravelSkills. “While the policy has not changed, we have now begun to award our top medallion customers upgrades on those flights during slower travel periods or as the operation permits.” Which means the horror and frustration of being seated in coach when there are empty seats up front is now less likely. But not completely UN-likely.
-------

As long as this doesn't become official change, setting foot on TCON is silly when UA, AA, and even B6 have affordable premium class options.
And this is the problem, it's not clear. It's obviously many PM/DM's have gone elsewhere, but who is going to book a tcon on DL with a chance to sit in J?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dean1121
Some of us make DM by Feb/Mar so yeah, i think the DM qualification is too low. I agree with Baccarat MQD should be at least $25k.
I assume that's because either A). You roll over a lot miles or B). You fly a lot of J TATL/TPAC flights. It's funny to see international posters (Baccarat) say the MQD should be higher when MQDs means nothing to them anyways. It comes across as one wanting to limit DM's for their own benefit.

Last edited by clr4t8koff; Jul 3, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mnredfox
And this is the problem, it's not clear. It's obviously many PM/DM's have gone elsewhere, but who is going to book a tcon on DL with a chance to sit in J?
I would, because I'd book on DL anyway (though it would affect my choice of direct/connection SFO/OAK etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.