Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I assume that's because either A). You roll over a lot miles or B). You fly a lot of J TATL/TPAC flights. It's funny to see international posters (Baccarat) say the MQD should be higher when MQDs means nothing to them anyways. It comes across as one wanting to limit DM's for their own benefit.
TCONS/TPAC/TATL
I do em all. In the last 12 months SM has been going in the right direction. Hope it will continue.
TTH (thin the you know what)
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by dean1121
TCONS/TPAC/TATL
I do em all. In the last 12 months SM has been going in the right direction. Hope it will continue.
TTH (thin the you know what)
Just wanting to feel more special? You only take flights that officially don't allow upgrades- in what way could other elites possibly harm you?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:28 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by dean1121
Some of us make DM by Feb/Mar so yeah, i think the DM qualification is too low. I agree with Baccarat MQD should be at least $25k.
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I assume that's because either A). You roll over a lot miles or B). You fly a lot of J TATL/TPAC flights. It's funny to see international posters (Baccarat) say the MQD should be higher when MQDs means nothing to them anyways. It comes across as one wanting to limit DM's for their own benefit.
I have no issue with MQDs. I actually think, it's only fair for international (foreign address) folks to be held to the same MQD requirements. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, Delta would have to be able to properly calculate these MQDs.

I purchase almost 100% of my ex-AMS transatlantic tickets at delta.com. But, when you purchase at delta.com with a foreign (Netherlands) credit card (AMEX) it is NOT ticketed as 006, but instead ticketing is completed in 24-48 hours via KLM (074 ticketing). So, while it's super odd, my Delta reservations eventual produce a KLM ticketing confirmation via email.

I'm pretty certain Delta gives foreign Medallions a waiver, because they have no ability (from an IT standpoint) to properly credit the MQDs.

Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sethb
I would, because I'd book on DL anyway (though it would affect my choice of direct/connection SFO/OAK etc.)
Ok, let's say you need to go from SFO-JFK. Would you book SFO-JFK knowing that your best seat gauranteed at booking might be only an EC seat? Or would you book say OAK-SLC-JFK knowing you could get an UG to F?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Ok, let's say you need to go from SFO-JFK. Would you book SFO-JFK knowing that your best seat gauranteed at booking might be only an EC seat? Or would you book say OAK-SLC-JFK knowing you could get an UG to F?
As a 100k+/yr flyer I'd probably just take AA and go for a comp upgrade
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Depends on the timing more than anything. There were times I wanted to leave as late at night as possible, so whichever had the later flight out. Other times, I wanted to get some sleep on a redeye, so the nonstop was a better option (using binaural beats recordings, I have no problem sleeping on planes).

And I buy well in advance, so it's unlikely that I'd know I could get an upgrade at the time of purchase.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mother-
Just wanting to feel more special? You only take flights that officially don't allow upgrades- in what way could other elites possibly harm you?
+1

Bueller? Bueller?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Against my better judgement, I booked an LAX-JFK Q fare for 7/18 and wait listed with miles. I gave 90% of my transcon business to AA following the change, but Delta's flight time worked better and the price was right for the upgradable fare.

I had twitter process the UG request and also asked if the request would transfer to the gate if it does not clear in advance. The twitter response was that it is not possible… :roll eyes:

However, I have been studying O/OP inventory on expert flyer for the past couple of days and noticed something very interesting. Delta seems to consistently be releasing inventory 3 days in advance (i.e. wednesday for saturday flights, and so on).

This is very similar to how AA handles their "C" upgrade inventory. A few seats available for bookings far out, and then more released 3-4 days out.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes...
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by lax555
Against my better judgement, I booked an LAX-JFK Q fare for 7/18 and wait listed with miles. I gave 90% of my transcon business to AA following the change, but Delta's flight time worked better and the price was right for the upgradable fare.

I had twitter process the UG request and also asked if the request would transfer to the gate if it does not clear in advance. The twitter response was that it is not possible… :roll eyes:

However, I have been studying O/OP inventory on expert flyer for the past couple of days and noticed something very interesting. Delta seems to consistently be releasing inventory 3 days in advance (i.e. wednesday for saturday flights, and so on).

This is very similar to how AA handles their "C" upgrade inventory. A few seats available for bookings far out, and then more released 3-4 days out.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes...
Slick observation. This could be very useful....
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM
Mileage upgrade at gate no more?

Wanted to post an update on this. JFK-SFO today my mileage ug did not clear in advance. 5x phone agents and twitter confirmed at T-16hrs that they could not add me to the airport standby list. The checkin agent was very nice and spent 30 mins trying to get me on it but said that they have again changed the rules, and the system is saying that I am not eligible for an upgrade and can't add me. Help desk confirmed it. Will see what ends up happening but wanted to mention that however seamless (not very) this once was, it definitely isn't anymore.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by j.bell
Wanted to post an update on this. JFK-SFO today my mileage ug did not clear in advance. 5x phone agents and twitter confirmed at T-16hrs that they could not add me to the airport standby list. The checkin agent was very nice and spent 30 mins trying to get me on it but said that they have again changed the rules, and the system is saying that I am not eligible for an upgrade and can't add me. Help desk confirmed it. Will see what ends up happening but wanted to mention that however seamless (not very) this once was, it definitely isn't anymore.
mileage upgrade were never supposed to transfer to the airport standby list; who told you that? Only certificate supported requests transfer to the airport list. Now I am aware there are cases where someone was able to make it happen, but it is clearly not SOP.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM
I had it happen to me twice and had it explained to me by an airport ticketing agent that it was previously allowed for a short time.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Well, it seems DL is allocating more upgrade space on its Trans-Con routes. I am waiting for Regional Upgraded Certificates to be useable on trans-con flights.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Considering asking for Compensation

This is a serious post:

Just like a spouse that is a pain in the a$$ (PITA) at times, I figured I would give in to DL on the 'enhanced' changes it made with upgrading on the prem transcons and buy more expensive tickets. I have to much invested in Delta to give AA or UA a shot. JetBlue isn't even a consideration (LOL).

So, to get to the meat of the story... I bought a K fare ticket and used 12.5K to upgrade to Business on SEA - JFK. Now that comp upgrades are slowly coming back online for DM/PM's, I am seriously contemplating requesting my miles back or some other form of compensation for DL forcing me to buy a K fare + miles. I think its a valid complaint and worth a shot. Comments?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mother-
As a 100k+/yr flyer I'd probably just take AA and go for a comp upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.