Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Flying SFO-JFK recently, show up at the airport, not on the upgrade list. Ask the GA about the policy she confirms that DM and PMs should be on the list. Checks her computer says "you're added but not activated." Does the magic, I show #3 for 3 seats, and proceed to snag the last upgrade.

Anyone have any idea about the "activation" ?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Amex Plat, Virgin Atl, SPG Gold, National
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Please help me to understand this. If this change in policy is not announced, how do we know it exists except for FT chatter?

Yeah, there is some anecdotal evidence here on FT but it sounds like it might be available only on some flts. But if it is not DL policy -- hence not announced -- hard to blame the GA’s if they don’t enforce something that they are not told about, no?
At this point it isn't really anecdotal, at least internally.

When I called the PM line last weekend for clarification, the agent said in no uncertain terms that it is official policy. She stated that is has been in effect since June 20. Additionally, she verified with a supervisor. When I pressed the matter, she stated that she was reading right off the screen and that it was in black and white. She read to me the official policy statement. And that if anyone told me differently, like at the airport, to ask for a redcoat.

The confusion is due to Delta not publicly announcing the change.

But that appears to be a fairly common thing with Delta. Their corporate communications leave much to be desired, along with their website and IT, which could all be related...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Not for the overly-entitled that are clearly not capable of paying for the service they desire.
Or don't think it's worth the extra cost, but like to get it when it's available according to DL's policy anyway.

But some people think the extra money I spend to fly DL in order to get/keep status doesn't matter, for some reason; perhaps if I choose not to fly on a DL flight, someone will magically be created to buy the seat I didn't (but he didn't otherwise exist, because he only wanted my seat, not one of the dozen empty seats on that flight).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stencil
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard.
Once again, we see that sarcasm doesn't play on the net.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Amex Plat, Virgin Atl, SPG Gold, National
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
When will the new policy be released publicly and what will it entail? It seems the obvious is the benefit will be only to DM/PM, but what about the fare class of the ticket? What about the part of when you are added to the UG list? Will it still be at the airport, at check-in....?
Fare class does not appear to be a criteria (though I believe that award tickets are not eligible), other than for ranking in the upgrade list. For that, yes, it does matter, along with the usual factors.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
Once again, we see that sarcasm doesn't play on the net.
Well, he tried this joke twice. The first time it was silly. The second time it was just lame.

Should it "play" the third time?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Orion316
Flying SFO-JFK recently, show up at the airport, not on the upgrade list. Ask the GA about the policy she confirms that DM and PMs should be on the list. Checks her computer says "you're added but not activated." Does the magic, I show #3 for 3 seats, and proceed to snag the last upgrade.

Anyone have any idea about the "activation" ?
So if you don't ask at the gate, you may be on the list but not able to get UG? I thought the board and you don't get your UG process was a mess...
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Flew JFK-LAX today in paid J. 5 seats open 1 hour prior, guy next to me was a PM who got a gate upgrade (his slip was sitting on my console) and then 3 well behaved delta Non-revs took the other 3. 1 went out empty.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:57 am

Platinum Medallion here. I typically do NOT take nonstop flights to LAX, SFO, or SEA, because 1. I would rather fly out of LGA instead of the monster that is JFK, and 2. I like to increase my chances of getting an upgrade by going through a hub. However, due to work time constraints, I had to take JFK-SEA on July 29th. To my absolute surprise, I was upgraded to first class right as boarding started. I'm not sure how many seats were available, since I was not checking due to the fact that I did not think for a second I was eligible for an upgrade, but I thought I would post my success!

P.S. those Business Elite seats are AMAZING.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by leelee543
Platinum Medallion here. I typically do NOT take nonstop flights to LAX, SFO, or SEA, because 1. I would rather fly out of LGA instead of the monster that is JFK, and 2. I like to increase my chances of getting an upgrade by going through a hub. However, due to work time constraints, I had to take JFK-SEA on July 29th. To my absolute surprise, I was upgraded to first class right as boarding started. I'm not sure how many seats were available, since I was not checking due to the fact that I did not think for a second I was eligible for an upgrade, but I thought I would post my success!

P.S. those Business Elite seats are AMAZING.
See this thread for pertinent discussion - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...de-policy.html
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
See this thread for pertinent discussion - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...de-policy.html
I'm aware, but I wanted to post my success in this thread as an FYI.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Upgrade just came through for tomorrow using an SWU, but I'm confused as EF still shows O=0. Not complaining, just wondering how it happened.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tkey75
Upgrade just came through for tomorrow using an SWU, but I'm confused as EF still shows O=0. Not complaining, just wondering how it happened.
O became available (possibly only O=1), then you got upgraded shortly after inventory was released consuming it so it was back at zero. EF didn't see availability as its auto check occurs at various intervals so wasn't in the short period of time that O>0.

Not an unusual occurrence on routes where DL doesn't release much and if there are pax on the waitlist.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM
As an update on mileage upgrades transferring to gate list:
I just made plat, and now they are back to transferring. I had been told as a GM last month that they *would* do it but *couldn't* for a non PM/DM, because the system would under no circumstances allow anyone but a PM/DM to be added to the list at all.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its not that its mileage upgrades transferring... its that a recent policy change allows DM and PM to be placed on the upgrade list for these premium t-con flights near the departure time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.