Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by lbcnu
The only time I have failed to get on the upgrade list was when I was connecting to an international flight last month. I went through everything you have done and could not get on the upgrade list. I showed up at the airport early and got the biggest load of baloney from both the GAs and the red coat. Bottom line is that I sat in the back SFO-JFK. Nothing worked. I wish you better luck than I had.
Were your TATL and TCON flights the same flight #?

For example, TLV-JFK-SFO, MAD-JFK-SFO; when booked as a "through flight" and the same flight #, it causes problems with UGs on the domestic leg.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by shipitfish
This post will be of interest to PMs or DMs who fly JFK->LAX on PNRs where the flight number doesn't change into an international connection. For example, tomorrow, I'm on flight DAL 417 from JFK->LAX, and then the same flight number (but a different plane) LAX->SYD tomorrow....
I don't if this works on the TCONS, but I've flown a number of "direct" flights (LAX-DTW-LHR, LAX-ATL-BRU) an managed upgrades on the domestic leg (and got real miles, not great circle miles) The trick is to book it using the multiple stop option, with four separate legs (e.g., LAX-DTW, DTW-LHR, LHR-DTW, DTW-LAX)

You pay a bit more in taxes, but not much -- on the order of $5-10.

That being said, the last time I needed to do this was 2013.

Also, I don't always practice what I preach -- on my upcoming trip to DUB it first gave me a "direct" flight with 90 minute connection. I went for an earlier flight to get different flight numbers. Now a 3:30 connection but time to get dinner and some local beers.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by rwoman

For example, TLV-JFK-SFO, MAD-JFK-SFO; when booked as a "through flight" and the same flight #, it causes problems with UGs on the domestic leg.
Definitely different flight numbers. It was 414 SFO to JFK connecting to 411 JFK to DUB. On the return it was 091 DUB to JFK and then 415 JFK to SFO.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by rylan
Even though the T&C say the JFK tcons aren't allowed, its not surprising AT ALL to see them selling upgrades at the gate. Lets you know just how much your "elite" status means to Delta... they'd rather piss off elites who fly those tcons regularly and try to extract more money from them.
^
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by rwoman

I'm flying on different flight numbers on all four segments. For those who have traveled on transcon segments (i.e., LAX/SFO-JFK) and then making international connections, did you have any similar trouble getting on the UG list for the domestic portions? Did you do anything different when you called the PM/DM line to get put on the list?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
So I'm on DL 16 (LAX-JFK) this morning and continuing on (on a different flight#) to DUB.

At T-9 I notice the app now has a "Show upgrade list" link. I click it and it shows an upgrade list of 5 (for 6 seats) but I'm not on it. I tweet @DeltaAssist and they assure me I am on their list.

So this morning at about t-3h I'm still not showing on the app so I call in. When then agent tries to put me on the list it says it can't because I have to show travel docs. He checks with a supervisor and they can't see a way around it. I can't be put on the list until I get to the airport.

This may explain part of the problem folks reported with getting upgraded when continuing on to international destinations.

We'll see what they say at the airport...

Added: It took two agents and about 10 minutes but they managed to get me on the list at the check in desk. Number 5 for 6 seats...

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Jan 20, 2015 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I was upgraded on DL1162 (9:40PM departure LAX-JFK) yesterday. I landed in LAX at about T-3:30hrs -- Delta Skyclub said (oh.. you're not activated) and there I was at #2 on the list. Very quick, no explaining... very nice.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

Added: It took two agents and about 10 minutes but they managed to get me on the list at the check in desk. Number 5 for 6 seats...
Did you end up scoring the upgrade at least on the LAX-JFK route? I'm in a very similar situation next week...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bworrell
I was upgraded on DL1162 (9:40PM departure LAX-JFK) yesterday. I landed in LAX at about T-3:30hrs -- Delta Skyclub said (oh.. you're not activated) and there I was at #2 on the list. Very quick, no explaining... very nice.
This is reassuring...maybe I'll just check in with them re: activation. What fare code if you recall?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Apparently Delta Points just posted this new forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...mediately.html

Only DM can now get upgrades on JFK-LAX/SFO.

Any PMs flying this route see the change?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM/SC Member
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Apparently Delta Points just posted this new forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...mediately.html

Only DM can now get upgrades on JFK-LAX/SFO.

Any PMs flying this route see the change?
I just heard this too. And Seattle is no longer "transcon," No more flat-bed seats but medallion upgrades reinstated for all. Anyone have any confirmation?? That sucks!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkramer65
I just heard this too. And Seattle is no longer "transcon," No more flat-bed seats but medallion upgrades reinstated for all. Anyone have any confirmation?? That sucks!
Starting in June I am seeing 2 flat-bed flights in each direction. I don't know if they are going back to regular domestic first food service, or if they are going to continue with the goat cheese and the overcooked lamb chops. Do some experimenting with the booking engine, and I think you'll find plenty of flat-bed flights.

I don't know for absolutely certain if medallion upgrades are reinstated for everybody, but I cleared at the window for my flight tomorrow. I'm waiting for a GM to report getting on the upgrade list, but I'm pretty sure it's all medallions now, because it says upgrade eligible.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM/SC Member
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Starting in June I am seeing 2 flat-bed flights in each direction. I don't know if they are going back to regular domestic first food service, or if they are going to continue with the goat cheese and the overcooked lamb chops. Do some experimenting with the booking engine, and I think you'll find plenty of flat-bed flights.

I don't know for absolutely certain if medallion upgrades are reinstated for everybody, but I cleared at the window for my flight tomorrow. I'm waiting for a GM to report getting on the upgrade list, but I'm pretty sure it's all medallions now, because it says upgrade eligible.
http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...ms-medallions/

http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...eepdescending/
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, suffering Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jkramer65
I have the flat-bed 752 tomorrow (JFK-SEA), so it isn't confirmed (yet).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
You need to go to JFK tomorrow at about 3 PM and tell them you read on a blog that they have eliminated the flat-beds from the JFK-SEA route. Probably then they will take the 757-200 they are about to board and move it to parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.