Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official “I Got Upgraded” Thread: JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by cruzmeister
JFK is the armpit of Delta's network. Rude, uneducated staff and a third world service culture. I got stuck at JFK this week after a late connection from SJU. I've had better connections in Beijing. The customer service agents were dumbasses. They had no clue how to treat customers. I will avoid JFK from now on.

My 'new' connecting flight to SEA had first class seats available but was overbooked in coach. They insisted on making me standby for a seat (silver elite) while they tried to sell fc upgrades. I made as much noise as i could and i was the first to clear the standby list. But they refused to upgrade me even if my delay was Delta's fault. The customer service desk gave me 11,500 miles as compensation for their incompetence.
If you walked up to the agent with the same attitude you are exhibiting here, you're lucky you got what you got. Silver Medallion (and yes, it is "medallion" and not "elite") is nothing to brag about, certainly not to hard-working, no-nonsense JFK agents who deal with many, many more important customers than you.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM
JFK is the armpit of Delta's network. Rude, uneducated staff and a third world service culture. I got stuck at JFK this week after a late connection from SJU. I've had better connections in Beijing. The customer service agents were dumbasses. They had no clue how to treat customers. I will avoid JFK from now on.

My 'new' connecting flight to SEA had first class seats available but was overbooked in coach. They insisted on making me standby for a seat (silver elite) while they tried to sell fc upgrades. I made as much noise as i could and i was the first to clear the standby list. But they refused to upgrade me even if my delay was Delta's fault. The customer service desk gave me 11,500 miles as compensation for their incompetence.
To each his own, I suppose.

I've had the worst luck at LAX by far. Really bad Redcoats there.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: DM, MM
Medallion Upgrade Changes

Here's the response I got from Delta customer service with my online complaint on the program changes:

"Thank you for contacting us through delta.com.

I understand your disappointment with the changes to Transcontinental
Complimentary Upgrades. As a Diamond Medallion and Million Miler, we
very much care about your business and want to ensure any concerns you
may have are addressed.

The decision to make these changes to the transcontinental upgrades was
not taken lightly. A large portion of our revenue comes from selling
BusinessElite seats. In addition, the spread of fares between coach and
the premium cabin on these aircraft are typically much wider than that
of other domestic flights. As such, we don't want to push people away
from buying those seats, or from thinking of them as a more exclusive
product. If we continue to provide them as Complimentary Upgrades, our
ability to sell BusinessElite would be diminished.

I do want to let you know we are working on a product which will allow
customers to upgrade with miles on delta.com and be confirmed at the
time of ticketing. It is in the test phase right now but we hope to
roll it out more broadly over the next month. Further, as a SkyMiles
Diamond Medallion, you are able to select Global Upgrades as one of your
Choice Benefits. Global Upgrades are valid for use systemwide on
published Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X
or V class. You would be able to use them on available transcontinental
flights.

Additionally, you may wish to consider taking advantage of connecting
routes to LAX through cities such as Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas,
Portland, etc. as Complimentary Upgrades are still available on these
routes.

Lastly, it is important to have a broader picture of transcontinental
upgrades on our competitors as well- United similarly does not allow
complimentary upgrades on their flights from JFK to LAX/SFO and American
only offers upgrades to Executive Platinum members or Platinum/Gold
members when flying in the top two Economy Class fares.

We value your input and understand your concerns; I want you to know
you’ve been heard and understood. Although I realize the changes to our
policies is disappointing, I can only hope that you will find some sense
of fairness in our rationale as we make improvements to our
BusinessElite product worldwide.

We do take customer feedback seriously, and your comments will be
forwarded to our SkyMiles Leadership Team for consideration.

Mr. xxxxx, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your feedback. We very much appreciate your Diamond Medallion/1 Million
Miler status, loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of
serving you again soon."
Old May 31, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DM, MM
Delta Medallion Upgrade Changes

So based on their response, they don't believe there are competitive alternatives to TCON upgrades - no one is providing them. I'd be interested in whether others with experience on AA or UA see the same thing.

I don't quite get the "exclusive" nature of the cabin being enhanced by not providing upgrades. I could care less if I have a paid business class seat and the person next to me is upgraded. I never ask and don't care.

I remember when airlines had three class cabins, and I flew Narita-LAX in First. There were only two other people in the cabin, and I thought to myself "this won't last long, it's got to be losing money". Sure enough, airlines went to two cabins. It seems like we're headed back to a three cabin system, with BE like First Class of yore, EC, and base Economy. Though the EC experience is far from traditional business class.

It's a bit annoying to hear the occasional perspective that suggests DM's are looking for "something for free" with an upgrade. I don't believe it's free; it's the one benefit I expect for my loyalty, which does have an economic benefit to Delta. If you're Global Entry, you get TSA precheck which gives you a shorter security line. A SkyMiles Amex card gets you early boarding and a checked bag (though I have rarely checked a bag). The PM and DM certificate upgrades are rarely usable, as availability is very limited, or with SWU's, the full fare coach fare was about the same as the available business fare. I don't care about the food or free drinks, just the leg room and personal space in the front cabin. I pay for business on international trips, and the ONLY benefit I receive for my loyalty to one airline is the occasional domestic upgrade. That upgrade is much more desirable on longer domestic flights than short hops.

It's a "poke in the eye" to me about my loyalty to Delta if the front goes out with empty seats. If they're filling the seats with revenue paying passengers, then great for them, and none of us get an upgrade and we're happy in EC. In that case, they don't need this policy change; no upgrades are available anyway. However, there is no cost to Delta to providing that empty seat to their most loyal customers. Nor do I believe I am getting it for free. I'm purchasing it through my loyalty of working schedules to always fly Delta and not being price sensitive to my purchases during the year. I also ensure my business class purchases for international trips go to Delta. That loyalty has a benefit to Delta and a cost to me. If they don't recognize that, perhaps other airlines will.

Last edited by CaptiveFlyer; May 31, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by CaptiveFlyer
Here's the response I got from Delta customer service with my online complaint on the program changes:

"Thank you for contacting us through delta.com.

I understand your disappointment with the changes to Transcontinental
Complimentary Upgrades. As a Diamond Medallion and Million Miler, we
very much care about your business and want to ensure any concerns you
may have are addressed.

The decision to make these changes to the transcontinental upgrades was
not taken lightly. A large portion of our revenue comes from selling
BusinessElite seats. In addition, the spread of fares between coach and
the premium cabin on these aircraft are typically much wider than that
of other domestic flights. As such, we don't want to push people away
from buying those seats, or from thinking of them as a more exclusive
product. If we continue to provide them as Complimentary Upgrades, our
ability to sell BusinessElite would be diminished.

I do want to let you know we are working on a product which will allow
customers to upgrade with miles on delta.com and be confirmed at the
time of ticketing. It is in the test phase right now but we hope to
roll it out more broadly over the next month. Further, as a SkyMiles
Diamond Medallion, you are able to select Global Upgrades as one of your
Choice Benefits. Global Upgrades are valid for use systemwide on
published Economy Class fares booked in Y, B, M, S, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X
or V class. You would be able to use them on available transcontinental
flights.

Additionally, you may wish to consider taking advantage of connecting
routes to LAX through cities such as Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas,
Portland, etc. as Complimentary Upgrades are still available on these
routes.

Lastly, it is important to have a broader picture of transcontinental
upgrades on our competitors as well- United similarly does not allow
complimentary upgrades on their flights from JFK to LAX/SFO and American
only offers upgrades to Executive Platinum members or Platinum/Gold
members when flying in the top two Economy Class fares.

We value your input and understand your concerns; I want you to know
you’ve been heard and understood. Although I realize the changes to our
policies is disappointing, I can only hope that you will find some sense
of fairness in our rationale as we make improvements to our
BusinessElite product worldwide.

We do take customer feedback seriously, and your comments will be
forwarded to our SkyMiles Leadership Team for consideration.

Mr. xxxxx, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your feedback. We very much appreciate your Diamond Medallion/1 Million
Miler status, loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of
serving you again soon."
Wow. This is the lengthiest, most substantial, and most thoughtful response to an online complaint that I have ever seen from DL.

Will be eagerly awaiting the addition of mileage upgrade award functionality to delta.com.
Old May 31, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SkyTeam Elite Plus

Apart from being offensive, the part in bold is hilariously inaccurate. The service and hospitality in some of these 'third world' countries is far superior to that in the US.

Seeing how entitled you act as a Silver Medallion, I shudder to think what you would be like as a DM..
Old May 31, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
It's a "poke in the eye" to me about my loyalty to Delta if the front goes out with empty seats. If they're filling the seats with revenue paying passengers, then great for them, and none of us get an upgrade and we're happy in EC. In that case, they don't need this policy change; no upgrades are available anyway. However, there is no cost to Delta to providing that empty seat to their most loyal customers. Nor do I believe I am getting it for free. I'm purchasing it through my loyalty of working schedules to always fly Delta and not being price sensitive to my purchases during the year. I also ensure my business class purchases for international trips go to Delta. That loyalty has a benefit to Delta and a cost to me. If they don't recognize that, perhaps other airlines will.
Right, look elsewhere. You can, as I understand it. My route is JFK-SEA and everybody else is expensive. Delta is CHEAP for my route most of the time, so I'm pretty much stuck. From reading here, LAX and SFO passengers have more choices.

The upgrades give a benefit to Delta too. Most of the time nobody is going to buy all those seats; they are overpriced. Moving elites into the empty seats in front moves them OUT of the seats they are occupying, allowing the seats to be sold if there is demand. AND, what I have noticed now is that we tend to leave late because people can't get their bags in the overheads and have to gate check. If Delta wasn't so concerned with maintaining the "exclusive" experience that nobody cares about, some passengers would be in the front, vacating their space in the back and allowing that space to be occupied, and avoiding aggravating people who don't have space for their bags. And getting the flight out on time.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; May 31, 2014 at 4:41 pm
Old May 31, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
PARTICULARLY when they downgrade some of those SEA flights to domestic 22/24/26F 757s ...
Old May 31, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Sure enough, airlines went to two cabins. It seems like we're headed back to a three cabin system, with BE like First Class of yore, EC, and base Economy. Though the EC experience is far from traditional business class.
International Premium Economy (which DL does not offer) fills that gap in a way that EC doesn't. To me, EC is still coach.

What I'd like to see on the TCONs is a domestic F-style seat (basically premium economy) offered above Y/EC and below J, whether open for upgrades or just priced more affordably than J. What I expect to happen instead is to move to B6, which prices their new J product competitively to DL K+Miles, but without the availability games.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Is it true for AA you have to be in the top two Y fares to get free UG as EXP? I didn't think that was the case...
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Is it true for AA you have to be in the top two Y fares to get free UG as EXP? I didn't think that was the case...
No, not for EXPs. Yes for AA PLT/GLD I believe.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by lamont2718
No, not for EXPs. Yes for AA PLT/GLD I believe.
Not true. EXP is free. PLT and GLD can use upgrade "stickers". Only non-status passengers need to buy Y or B for an upgrade opportunity.

Basically AA doesn't differentiate and let's us upgrade on the transcontinental into Business.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
What are the odds on it not being 12,500 miles in each direction? (I already know it won't work with the corporate OTA...)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The upgrades give a benefit to Delta too. Most of the time nobody is going to buy all those seats; they are overpriced. Moving elites into the empty seats in front moves them OUT of the seats they are occupying, allowing the seats to be sold if there is demand.
DL is quite willing to oversell Y and op-up if that's the way demand works out.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by sethb
DL is quite willing to oversell Y and op-up if that's the way demand works out.
Yep - Reinstating Medallion upgrades won't do anything to sell more tickets in Y. Op-ups occur regularly on the most popular flight times on the transcon routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.