Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Lyolik
CDCVM can be used with MSD contactless also.
Source? The contactless specs for the Visa kernel (haven't checked the others) indicate that CVM processing is only done for EMV contactless.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:20 pm

So I went to a local Coffeehouse with the ShopKeep iPad and the Ingenico iCMP and it said 'Swipe or Tap Card' with the ctls logo(no EMV) so I tried twice with my Visa Debit card and it somehow declined 3 times even though I only tapped twice and it shows 3 transactions as declined in the list now. So I switched to my grandfathered Cap One card and it worked fine, so what in the heck is that about? I then went to The Container Store in the same mall and saw someone select Credit with a swipe card(no EMV yet) and they had to sign for it, I then used Android Pay Visa without any issue there and did not have to select Credit or have to sign for it, haha(How it should be!). ^ I then went to Trader Joe's and it worked perfect there as well so it has to be there configuration and I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience with ShopKeep + iCMP? Here is the decline on the Android Pay list: https://app.box.com/s/sx4sn9sgmpcpcq6j33ic923vsjf1suhy
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm at SAN waiting for a flight. The Jack In The Box in T1 does EMV but it doesn't look like they do contactless. (Insert or Swipe Card message with a Manual softkey in the lower right of the VX805.)

Since this is a work trip I used my Citi corporate card for the purchase. It was the first time using EMV on that card so the transaction ran as no CVM. Unfortunately the cashier threw out the second receipt. cardpeek now shows "2" for PIN Try Counter so I expect to have to enter the PIN for the corporate card for future purchases.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Source? The contactless specs for the Visa kernel (haven't checked the others) indicate that CVM processing is only done for EMV contactless.
Visa (Kernel 3) absolutely does not support it for MSD. As well, the latest version of Kernel 3 has removed MSD support.

MasterCard (Kernel 2) can support it in a limited fashion for MSD by informing the phone it can support it, and then if the transaction is above the 'mobile' CVM limit, and the phone asserts that it has performed CVM, it will compute the CVC3 with a different offset to assert to the issuer that CVM was performed by the phone.

American Express (Kernel 4) can support it as MSD transactions mostly use EMV functionality and then create pseudo mag-stripe information to send to the host. This requires the terminal and card to indicate that they both support Contactless Mobile and CVM Processing

I highly doubt most US terminals that do not support EMV mode to be properly configured to support mobile transactions for MasterCard and Amex.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:20 am

Starbucks US does not support contactless (Apple Pay) Discover. "Use chip reader". Chip worked fine.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Starbucks US does not support contactless (Apple Pay) Discover. "Use chip reader". Chip worked fine.
Capital One Wallet(MC) does the same thing while Android Pay Visa works fine there as EMV Contactless. Exactly why Capital One needs to just support Android Pay as their dumb app fails to work at some places such as Trader Joe's, Starbucks and Runza.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
While I'm waiting for my cold nitro to settle (such a hipster am I!) thought I'd post that when I got out my AMEX card to pay, the coffee shop manager reached for it so that he could insert it. I said No politely and tapped it myself on the Apple Pay NFC pad. He was astonished, "I had no idea there were cards that can do that!" I explained that AMEX is opt-in.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
While I'm waiting for my cold nitro to settle (such a hipster am I!) thought I'd post that when I got out my AMEX card to pay, the coffee shop manager reached for it so that he could insert it. I said No politely and tapped it myself on the Apple Pay NFC pad. He was astonished, "I had no idea there were cards that can do that!" I explained that AMEX is opt-in.
Two questions.

1) Why was he reaching for your card to insert it, regardless of NFC availability?

2) How was that cold nitro thing?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Two questions.

1) Why was he reaching for your card to insert it, regardless of NFC availability?

Probably a Square card reader where the chip slot faces the cashier but the NFC reader faces you.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Two questions.

As above, the slot is clerk-facing.

The nitro I found nasty ... not the iced coffee I was hoping for!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
That is odd so what what card did you use there as when I used my Visa card there it worked perfectly fine although that was months ago. But yeah they could have borked the contactless although you'd expect them to stop tweaking the config once EMV is enabled but companies can't stop messing with stuff. Your NFC antenna could be failing or a case could be blocking the signal from working.
I stopped again yesterday. Same issue, chip card not accepted. It is my Wells Fargo credit card. Same card works through Samsung Pay.

Soon as you tap, you hear the alarm.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:04 pm

Stopped at Subway. I took the case off, just in case but Android Pay worked fine.

Receipt says Contactless EMV
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Safeway where?

Some of us are stuck with Safeways which are still on magnetic strip.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by wco81
Safeway where?

Some of us are stuck with Safeways which are still on magnetic strip.
Keep checking them. There's been instances where the change literally happened overnight. The update comes along with brand new registers as a whole. Not just a new card reader.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well there are two Safeways, both less than 5 years old and within 3-4 miles of each other in Sunnyvale, CA.

One has an EMV reader and the other one doesn't. Neither has contactless.

Since the one was just updated to the EMV reader (they just changed the pin pad, not the scanning pad and touchscreen for the self-checkouts), I gather they're done for awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.