Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
Very unlikely due to the challenges of deploying a fully integrated system with Interac (It's not impossible, (Wal-Mart did it) but for many merchants it is not worth the cost).

Even prior to EMV in Canada, many merchants who had fully-integrated credit card processing had a semi-integrated or stand-alone setup for Interac, and just moved to that model for EMV. Almost no PCI compliance or EMV certification costs.

It's also important to point out that 'semi-integrated' does not always mean at a hardware level. In many instances, it is essentially a middle-ware software layer running on a different system that is not part of the POS and interfaces through an API.
Are the requirements stricter with Interac compared with Visa/MC?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Living in a fairly large city I guess has its perks. So I went to a Paradise Bakery which now has Mx925s but behind a glass faux countertop that is stupidly high!!!
Never seen anything like that at Panera (which owns Paradise Bakery). Panera has had customer-facing MX925 for a while now for Apple Pay; haven't seen EMV there yet.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Never seen anything like that at Panera (which owns Paradise Bakery). Panera has had customer-facing MX925 for a while now for Apple Pay; haven't seen EMV there yet.
All of the paneras are normal. Paradise is the only one that has this weird setup.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I almost had an all contactless today today. 1) Lunch at work's cafeteria 2) Zara at Valley Fair Mall 3) A vendor at the food court. For 3 I opted for EMV since the FirstData Clover terminal was down on the cashier's side, and I spotted it too late to try a contactless payment.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
All of the paneras are normal. Paradise is the only one that has this weird setup.
Panera has been shutting down the Pardise bakeries here. Don't think it's a strategic part of their business any longer.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I almost had an all contactless today today. 1) Lunch at work's cafeteria 2) Zara at Valley Fair Mall 3) A vendor at the food court. For 3 I opted for EMV since the FirstData Clover terminal was down on the cashier's side, and I spotted it too late to try a contactless payment.
New place for lunch today. Not only do they have their FD40s on the cashier side, they don't even bother trying to insert cards and just swipe them on the screen instead. No idea why that's still allowed by Clover.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
New place for lunch today. Not only do they have their FD40s on the cashier side, they don't even bother trying to insert cards and just swipe them on the screen instead. No idea why that's still allowed by Clover.
It's a massive flaw in the Clover setup where basically the screen and the FD-40 are treated as two separate terminals. Obviously if they're using the screen they don't care about the liability shift.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Because they don't know any better. And the card swipe doesn't communicate with the FD 40 as it's ran on a separate app. What they need to do is disable the on screen swipes when an FD40 is detected.

It's unfortunate with clover nobody comes out to install it, they just ship it out in a box and the owner pretty much guesses how the thing goes back together.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:54 pm

Speaking of Paradise Bakery, Panera managed to break Amex contactless. I hear the angry three beeps just like the remove card prompt when I tap my phone. Here's to the second company that broke it, Ahold being the first. My other Amex tap issues have been with merchants not taking it altogether.

On the other hand, you can now leave a tip on your card at Panera.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
It's a massive flaw in the Clover setup where basically the screen and the FD-40 are treated as two separate terminals. Obviously if they're using the screen they don't care about the liability shift.
I suppose they may have gotten them just for contactless, but I also didn't see any Apple Pay stickers anywhere. Maybe I'll go back and see if they'll let me attempt it.

Because they don't know any better. And the card swipe doesn't communicate with the FD 40 as it's ran on a separate app. What they need to do is disable the on screen swipes when an FD40 is detected.

It's unfortunate with clover nobody comes out to install it, they just ship it out in a box and the owner pretty much guesses how the thing goes back together.
Here's how to set up the FD40 according to them. In short: install some app on the Clover Station and then plug the FD40 in. Nothing about positioning or anything like that, though I imagine people would ignore that advice anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:39 am

I went to a KFC/LJS last night and used Android Pay with no issues, but I saw more than one people with issues when swiping their cards. Plenty of card read errors because they swiped before the pinpad is ready. It also said to confirm the amount for swiped cards only but not ctls, which makes it faster for ctls users. ^ No CTLS enabled at the brand new Wells Fargo ATM they said by the end of the year 40% would have contactless enabled but I haven't seen one with ctls enabled yet.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
I went to a KFC/LJS last night and used Android Pay with no issues, but I saw more than one people with issues when swiping their cards. Plenty of card read errors because they swiped before the pinpad is ready. It also said to confirm the amount for swiped cards only but not ctls, which makes it faster for ctls users. ^ No CTLS enabled at the brand new Wells Fargo ATM they said by the end of the year 40% would have contactless enabled but I haven't seen one with ctls enabled yet.
If not having a confirmation prompt is supposedly bad practice for EMV/swipe, why isn't it bad practice for contactless too?

Also, the WF down the street does have the hardware but I have no idea whether it's working or not. Maybe it's time to go check again and see.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:20 am

If not having a confirmation prompt is supposedly bad practice for EMV/swipe, why isn't it bad practice for contactless too?

Also, the WF down the street does have the hardware but I have no idea whether it's working or not. Maybe it's time to go check again and see.
Contactless tap SHOULDN'T be possible before you see the amount so it is unnecessary as long as that's setup properly.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Contactless tap SHOULDN'T be possible before you see the amount so it is unnecessary as long as that's setup properly.
Except that merchants can accept a tap before the final amount is known (even with EMV contactless, though I haven't seen that yet).

Anyway, I think it might actually be against typically accepted practice in the US to have a confirmation screen at all. Gas pumps don't, for instance (they just pre-auth for $100 or whatever and adjust it downward later as needed). Nor do restaurants. I also don't really remember seeing such screens all that often outside of those two categories either.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:54 am

Except that merchants can accept a tap before the final amount is known (even with EMV contactless, though I haven't seen that yet).

Anyway, I think it might actually be against typically accepted practice in the US to have a confirmation screen at all. Gas pumps don't, for instance (they just pre-auth for $100 or whatever and adjust it downward later as needed). Nor do restaurants. I also don't really remember seeing such screens all that often outside of those two categories either.
Which is why I would never insert/tap/swipe before there's a total and I strongly urge everyone I know not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.