Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by wco81
Well there are two Safeways, both less than 5 years old and within 3-4 miles of each other in Sunnyvale, CA.

One has an EMV reader and the other one doesn't. Neither has contactless.

Since the one was just updated to the EMV reader (they just changed the pin pad, not the scanning pad and touchscreen for the self-checkouts), I gather they're done for awhile.
Are you talking about the two on El Camino? The Homestead location got changed out for EMV quickly, so it seems like they come in and do the switch overnight.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
One on El Camino and the one on Homestead.

Since they updated Homestead, you have to wonder if they're done, as far as NFC support.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I posted about New Leaf in the other thread, but given that they're using MSD contactless despite having apparently gotten assistance from Visa in getting contact EMV/Quick Chip up and running, I think it's fair to ask once again whether Visa actually cares about the US adopting EMV contactless. Thoughts?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by wco81
Well there are two Safeways, both less than 5 years old and within 3-4 miles of each other in Sunnyvale, CA.

One has an EMV reader and the other one doesn't. Neither has contactless.

Since the one was just updated to the EMV reader (they just changed the pin pad, not the scanning pad and touchscreen for the self-checkouts), I gather they're done for awhile.
They probably just replaced the PIN pad as a stop gap as something broke. The actual EMV update you'll see all the registers ripped out and replaced with touchscreens- not just self checkout- and the screens will look a little different on the PIN pad, containing Safeway's new slogan- it's just better. A few in Phoenix here literally all happened overnight. Went in one day its old stuff and next day it's all brand new and replaced with EMV enabled.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
They probably just replaced the PIN pad as a stop gap as something broke. The actual EMV update you'll see all the registers ripped out and replaced with touchscreens- not just self checkout- and the screens will look a little different on the PIN pad, containing Safeway's new slogan- it's just better. A few in Phoenix here literally all happened overnight. Went in one day its old stuff and next day it's all brand new and replaced with EMV enabled.
Still using SurePOS or did they upgrade to TCxWave?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:31 pm

CFA contactless payment is fast. One of the quickest that I've seen in store.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Still using SurePOS or did they upgrade to TCxWave?
SurePOS ACE 4690
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Using Android Pay works great in Canada (with a US Issued Card).

So far I've had EVM Contactless transactions at various merchants. I have found you have to hold the phone in a very specific way against the terminal to get it to work and have had some trouble.

One where I was able to use Android Pay and did not have an EMV Contactless transaction was Wendys; they had the same NCR POS as in the US running the same Aloha Software but had a small Canada style pinpad attached to the register which allowed tap/swipe/insert.

Another noteworthy transaction is Shell (the Shells up here are all corporate owned and use Radiant POS with the small Canada style pinpads); the first attempt with Android Pay declined and the clerk said try again, that time it approved within a second. EMV Contactless also.

Virtually every merchant up here has Contactless; big and small.

I did stop at a Chevron who had the same exact Wayne Nucleus POS as in the US and was running EMV in store and at the pump, which worked just fine. I am surprised this Wayne Nucleus supports EMV up here since in the US they were so late to have an EMV solution that a number of large Chevron operators who were on the Nucleus for decades switched over to Gilbarco registers since Gilbarco had an EVM solution sooner. However in the store at this Canada Chevron, they had a large notice that said "NO TAP." I asked and was told it freezes up.

I noticed signs in a couple stores (H Mart 590 Robson St. Vancouver specifically) stating ID is required for all swipe credit cards. I wonder how that works on a Chip and Signature card but did not test it (H Mart also had a sign that said $5 minimum on all credit cards).

Chipotle does not accept EMV at all up here and is swipe credit or cash only. Wow. Also noted the hotels I've used and rental car place swiped the card too; no EMV in sight.

No contactless at Wal Mart.

I also notice many customers using Tap cards here.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Using Android Pay works great in Canada (with a US Issued Card).

So far I've had EVM Contactless transactions at various merchants. I have found you have to hold the phone in a very specific way against the terminal to get it to work and have had some trouble.

One where I was able to use Android Pay and did not have an EMV Contactless transaction was Wendys; they had the same NCR POS as in the US running the same Aloha Software but had a small Canada style pinpad attached to the register which allowed tap/swipe/insert.

Another noteworthy transaction is Shell (the Shells up here are all corporate owned and use Radiant POS with the small Canada style pinpads); the first attempt with Android Pay declined and the clerk said try again, that time it approved within a second. EMV Contactless also.

Virtually every merchant up here has Contactless; big and small.

I did stop at a Chevron who had the same exact Wayne Nucleus POS as in the US and was running EMV in store and at the pump, which worked just fine. I am surprised this Wayne Nucleus supports EMV up here since in the US they were so late to have an EMV solution that a number of large Chevron operators who were on the Nucleus for decades switched over to Gilbarco registers since Gilbarco had an EVM solution sooner. However in the store at this Canada Chevron, they had a large notice that said "NO TAP." I asked and was told it freezes up.

I noticed signs in a couple stores (H Mart 590 Robson St. Vancouver specifically) stating ID is required for all swipe credit cards. I wonder how that works on a Chip and Signature card but did not test it (H Mart also had a sign that said $5 minimum on all credit cards).

Chipotle does not accept EMV at all up here and is swipe credit or cash only. Wow. Also noted the hotels I've used and rental car place swiped the card too; no EMV in sight.

No contactless at Wal Mart.

I also notice many customers using Tap cards here.
I surprised with Wendy's up there and Chipotle especially. Chipotle seemed anti EMV even in Canada and well, that shows it, swipe even in a full EMV country!

Hotels and Rental cars is normal to not have EMV, even internationally, as most hotel POS is made in the US, and doesn't support it..go figure lol

No contactless at Walmart doesn't surprise me at all as all stores domestic and international all communicate to home office in Bentonville, AR
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Two years ago I went to Hong Kong and stayed at a Marriott affiliate and a Hilton affiliate and both had EMV at the front desks (stand alone terminals and DCC was attempted by them).

I had a small restaurant up here in Canada attempt DCC; since they handed me the pinpad to do the whole transaction, I was able to see everything. I like this since on the screen it gave me the option to decline and processed per my instructions. I also liked inputting the tip amount so that was automatically printed on the receipt so the only thing handwritten was signature.

Not sure why US restaurants are so against this system. What is it with the US? Why so against doing what works in other places? Hardly any PINs. Few Contactless/Tap cards...

Wal Mart Canada required signature for a less than $5 transaction. Paper signature slip. Their Ingenico pinpads did not even had signature pens attached. Also this Wal mart which had its grand opening today had new Toshiba/IBM 4680s with traditional keyboards (not touchscreen)... was surprised to see that. The new coal colored version of the keyboards so clearly new and not used from elsewhere.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:35 pm

Two years ago I went to Hong Kong and stayed at a Marriott affiliate and a Hilton affiliate and both had EMV at the front desks (stand alone terminals and DCC was attempted by them).

I had a small restaurant up here in Canada attempt DCC; since they handed me the pinpad to do the whole transaction, I was able to see everything. I like this since on the screen it gave me the option to decline and processed per my instructions. I also liked inputting the tip amount so that was automatically printed on the receipt so the only thing handwritten was signature.

Not sure why US restaurants are so against this system. What is it with the US? Why so against doing what works in other places? Hardly any PINs. Few Contactless/Tap cards...

Wal Mart Canada required signature for a less than $5 transaction. Paper signature slip. Their Ingenico pinpads did not even had signature pens attached. Also this Wal mart which had its grand opening today had new Toshiba/IBM 4680s with traditional keyboards (not touchscreen)... was surprised to see that. The new coal colored version of the keyboards so clearly new and not used from elsewhere.
Standalone terminals are definitely a different story but none have integrated yet from what I can tell.

As for Walmart, it seems lack of touch screen is standard issue outside of the US. Reasoning, I'm definitely unsure. And signature pens not attached, guess they felt they didn't need it. Can you go by and sneak a picture of the Walmart Canada setup? Is the UI on the PIN pad the same as the US? I used to work for WM, and haven't seen the Canadian setup since the old i6500 Ingenicos.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:41 pm

It also looks like Walmart Canada uses IBM self checkout instead of NCR! I've been keeping up with Walmart on Reddit and it seems like IBM SCO may roll out here in the US soon too, judging by the RAP buttons that appeared on Walmart registers.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Culture, most likely. It's why countries like Germany still predominantly use cash.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we transition from signature to PIN before contactless finally becomes a widespread thing on cards. And that the latter only happens because Americans start to have problems using their cards overseas again.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Efficiency issue, IMHO

American restaurateurs want to get the transaction over with ASAP. Drop off the slip, let them add a written tip, scrawl and we'll reconcile it later vs. having the server have to wait at the table while all that's going on!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On that note, I also wouldn't be surprised either if the current liability shift (and future ones) are banned eventually. What a mess this whole transition has been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.