Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
FHS is either October(came and went) so maybe sometime in November and I got that info from the area rep so its probably coming very soon.
Might be worth trying them again in a couple of weeks then. Last time I went was a few weeks ago, so they might be still rolling it out.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:19 am

I stopped at a Phillips 66 station that has Gilbarco pumps hooked into a Verifone Commander system and I was wondering why that is. Well all of the card reading hardware is Verifone so that is why the Gilbarco pumps have Verifone hardware in them. Here is a picture of the pump: https://app.box.com/s/iqk0l0n0zsi9tleegdm1ap0ocnl4p4l8 it looks just like the Sunoco pump which I found on reddit: http://i.imgur.com/pOZa00r.jpg sans the contactless readers (Phillips 66) though and it looks a lot like Costco's new pump hardware. Contactless of course works inside the Phillips 66 but its sad that there is no ctls readers outside though. Also that Sunoco must be using a Commander System with MX915's and Contactless as well I bet so the ctls readers probably do in fact work since all stuff is Verifone.

Here is the card screen at Five Below: https://app.box.com/s/8skoib4ec5ddmbqpm0xvg18wh4dkk5l8 its got customzied icons and a different ctls logo its the one found on the cards interestingly. Here is the receipt: https://app.box.com/s/w3luniwgo5mhih4nz3vpzcbve93cy5o9 ^
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:13 am

The hallmark in the mall here renovated and their mx915s finally accept ctls
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Nacron
The hallmark in the mall here renovated and their mx915s finally accept ctls
Does Hallmark do emv chip as well as the contactless?

Also I remember someone saying that Petsmart with EMV has contactless and the location I went to did not have EMV yet so I did not attempt contactless.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: Skymiles
I stopped at a Phillips 66 station that has Gilbarco pumps hooked into a Verifone Commander system and I was wondering why that is. Well all of the card reading hardware is Verifone so that is why the Gilbarco pumps have Verifone hardware in them. Here is a picture of the pump: https://app.box.com/s/iqk0l0n0zsi9tleegdm1ap0ocnl4p4l8 it looks just like the Sunoco pump which I found on reddit: http://i.imgur.com/pOZa00r.jpg sans the contactless readers (Phillips 66) though and it looks a lot like Costco's new pump hardware. Contactless of course works inside the Phillips 66 but its sad that there is no ctls readers outside though. Also that Sunoco must be using a Commander System with MX915's and Contactless as well I bet so the ctls readers probably do in fact work since all stuff is Verifone.

Here is the card screen at Five Below: https://app.box.com/s/8skoib4ec5ddmbqpm0xvg18wh4dkk5l8 its got customzied icons and a different ctls logo its the one found on the cards interestingly. Here is the receipt: https://app.box.com/s/w3luniwgo5mhih4nz3vpzcbve93cy5o9 ^
The screen is also a lot smaller which means they did the barebones for EMV, and didn't bother with Applause TV.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does Hallmark do emv chip as well as the contactless?

Also I remember someone saying that Petsmart with EMV has contactless and the location I went to did not have EMV yet so I did not attempt contactless.
I wonder how widespread EMV is at PetSmart actually. A couple I went to around here didn't seem to have it either so it may have been too soon to add them.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:43 am

I tried to make a purchase at Sunoco inside. The cashier cancelled the transaction after I tapped my phone and changed his mind to only accepting cash. I just walked out.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I tried to make a purchase at Sunoco inside. The cashier cancelled the transaction after I tapped my phone and changed his mind to only accepting cash. I just walked out.
How are you guys running into such weird situations like these? Lol!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
It's unfortunately more common than it should be if you shop at smaller businesses. (See: the issues AllieKat and I have had with PIN preferring cards in the US.)

Speaking of which, it might be time to start using Diners Club more often again to see how well or badly places handle it. But I'm also using my AmEx pretty often as punishment for the larger retailers that refuse to enable contactless. Hmm...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:04 pm

I don't know, but I guess the awful service complements the low-fi environment of the shop. One thing's for sure, though - I don't go back to those businesses that give me issues. For example, one coffee shop told me "not to worry about it" when I was under their card minimum, but I saw on the charge slip that they charged me over a dollar extra for a fee of sorts. They can't have minimums for Debit MC anyway, so I disputed the overage (and won) when the owner didn't respond to my email and complained to MasterCard.

Back to Sunoco. The bloke in front had issues paying with his Canadian Capital One Visa. He kept swiping but the reader still didn't pick it up. It eventually worked, but I wonder what the issue was.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
You should complain to corporate for that crap, as I'm pretty sure they do accept it and maybe they will give you something for the troubles. Most gas station cashiers in my experience don't seem to bat an eye when people pay with their phones at many brands, Sinclair, Phillips 66, Conoco, Valero, and unbranded stations.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's unfortunately more common than it should be if you shop at smaller businesses. (See: the issues AllieKat and I have had with PIN preferring cards in the US.)

Speaking of which, it might be time to start using Diners Club more often again to see how well or badly places handle it. But I'm also using my AmEx pretty often as punishment for the larger retailers that refuse to enable contactless. Hmm...
I shop at tons and tons of small businesses, and never one issue as large as what alliekat goes through. Mostly I have more trouble with idiot employees at large retailers, like McDonalds.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:25 pm

You should complain to corporate for that crap, as I'm pretty sure they do accept it and maybe they will give you something for the troubles. Most gas station cashiers in my experience don't seem to bat an eye when people pay with their phones at many brands, Sinclair, Phillips 66, Conoco, Valero, and unbranded stations.
I might. I've definitely tapped at Sunoco before, and it's very unlikely they'd disable it, especially considering they're starting to put contactless readers on their pumps.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I shop at tons and tons of small businesses, and never one issue as large as what alliekat goes through. Mostly I have more trouble with idiot employees at large retailers, like McDonalds.
It's totally possible that it's gotten better around me, but after one has had their card declined three times (okay, twice, but I had to convince the third one to run it again) because it asked for a PIN and they weren't willing to give you the terminal, it becomes easier to just use chip and signature and not deal with the potential for hassle.

Kinda sucks for the people who don't have that option though.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The PIN problem I ran across is that they push enter to confirm the amount they entered, wrong in one case where they refunded the difference in cash, instead of having the customer confirm it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.