Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've been looking at this document that was published a couple of years ago to see how things actually panned out regarding EMV and contactless. It seems that it didn't go exactly as predicted.

For EMV CVM preference, 12 said they were going with signature, 4 were undecided, 1 was doing PIN and 1 was going to migrate to PIN at some later date. It's probably safe to say that 16 have done signature, 1 migrating to PIN later (Discover?) and 1 doing PIN from the start (BMO?).

For contactless, 8 said they were doing contact-only, 5 dual-interface, 2 both and 2 undecided. We don't know exactly what issuers responded to the authors, but to me it sounds like nearly all have gone with contact-only (AmEx I'd count in the "both" category since contactless is opt-in with them. Citi is "both" as well due to Costco but that might have been something that was decided after publication). HSBC went with contactless for all of their cards.

Speaking of Citi, I had a bit of time with someone's Costco card and read the contactless interface with cardpeek. There are definitely some differences compared to Apple Pay. For one thing, the cardholder name is something like "VISA/CARDHOLDER". It also requested signature for CVM but I haven't experimented to see if I could get it to require PIN. Unfortunately my EMV reader broke so I couldn't read the contact interface at the time; now that I have a replacement, maybe I can do so next time.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
The Five Guys by my work finally enabled EMV. Contactless is still MSD only though.

Maybe it's safe to add the rest now?
Perhaps. The one in my neighbourhood had it enabled two weeks ago.

Also, I'm not so sure Verifone support EMV contactless with their Point software, given all merchants I've been to that use Point and contactless have MSD-only.

----

My local Rite Aid seems to have upgraded the register to an NCR tablet-esque thing like Whole Foods. They only have the cashier-facing unit, though, and still have the keyboard. Their PIN pads are still slow.

I was also in Whole Foods yesterday and got a glimpse of the bar's POS setup whilst walking to the salad bar. The terminal is fixed on the cashier's side and there's no customer-facing screen. I wonder if PIN would be an issue in that scenario or if they have PIN disabled.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Oct 18, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Also, I'm not so sure Verifone support EMV contactless with their Point software, given all merchants I've been to that use Point and contactless have MSD-only.
IIRC using Pointe doesn't imply that it's semi-integrated, so stores would still need to get certified for EMV contactless. If that's the case (and the places that have enabled contact EMV already are being grandfathered), that means that most enabling EMV from here on out will likely not have contactless at all--at least right away.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Perhaps. The one in my neighbourhood had it enabled two weeks ago.

----

My local Rite Aid seems to have upgraded the register to an NCR tablet-esque thing like Whole Foods. They only have the cashier-facing unit, though, and still have the keyboard. Their PIN pads are still slow.

I was also in Whole Foods yesterday and got a glimpse of the bar's POS setup whilst walking to the salad bar. The terminal is fixed on the cashier's side and there's no customer-facing screen. I wonder if PIN would be an issue in that scenario or if they have PIN disabled.
Just looks like a tablet, really just a fancy monitor for their existing slow windows garbage.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Just looks like a tablet, really just a fancy monitor for their existing slow windows garbage.
Garbage is correct. I thought that was the actual POS like with other merchants.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:09 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Was at a Five Guys in Reno, NV tonight and there wasn't even a Pinpad let alone EMV and Contactless.

Also now requires signature on all credit card transactions (the Radiant POS is printing a signature line on all). It is also showing on the receipt (S) along with the "Card Num" line which it did not used to show. The S means Swiped; at Circle K who uses the same Radiant software if you tap a card that shows as R for RFID.

Struggling location, so may explain the lack of upgrading.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone was curious about what a Verifone Pointe receipt looks like (Apple Pay was used here):

Also, apparently Rubio's prints out two receipts but I was never getting the second one until now.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Was at a Five Guys in Reno, NV tonight and there wasn't even a Pinpad let alone EMV and Contactless.

Also now requires signature on all credit card transactions (the Radiant POS is printing a signature line on all). It is also showing on the receipt (S) along with the "Card Num" line which it did not used to show. The S means Swiped; at Circle K who uses the same Radiant software if you tap a card that shows as R for RFID.

Struggling location, so may explain the lack of upgrading.
I heard that the Five Guys franchises got it first while the corporate locations are getting it later.

In case anyone was curious about what a Verifone Pointe receipt looks like (Apple Pay was used here):

Also, apparently Rubio's prints out two receipts but I was never getting the second one until now.
What does Ctround even mean as Big Lots has that as well. That second receipt is quite interesting also I wonder if Fuddruckers is using Verifone Point now?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:06 am

For you Apple Pay users, there is a free iPhone app called "Pay Finders" which will show you all merchants who accept Apple Pay near your current location. I think it is crowd-sourced information, so if you discover one that is not on there, you can add it.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Appleman
For you Apple Pay users, there is a free iPhone app called "Pay Finders" which will show you all merchants who accept Apple Pay near your current location. I think it is crowd-sourced information, so if you discover one that is not on there, you can add it.
It's not the best app as far as UI but I've tried it before.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by scibot
I heard that the Five Guys franchises got it first while the corporate locations are getting it later.

What does Ctround even mean as Big Lots has that as well. That second receipt is quite interesting also I wonder if Fuddruckers is using Verifone Point now?
Ctroutd is a unique number that ties the credit transactions to one POS transaction. If there's a refund, an added tip transaction, or a void or whatever, they'll have different approval codes and network retrieval codes, but the same CTroutD number.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
It's not the best app as far as UI but I've tried it before.
Yep. It only lets you search around your current location, too, not anywhere else.

Lately I've been searching for "Apple Pay" in Maps. That seems to work fairly well, though doesn't return results as extensive as MC's map/app.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Sunnyvale, CA Safeway finally has EMV.

Some kind of Verifone with the sign that says swipe or "slide" the card.

I tried my iPhone 6S Plus, no dice. So no contactless or at least Apple Pay support.

Inserted my Amex Everyday card.

All that wait and they don't even get contactless.

Morons.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
All that wait and they don't even get contactless.
Speaking of that, I saw an interesting thread on reddit yesterday from someone selling merchant services. According to him, there's "no difference" in fees for debit cards regardless of how they're run, so he's been recommending his clients to not get PIN pads for their countertop terminals. NFC/contactless isn't a consideration either because "barely anyone uses it".

Anyway, I'm sure that'll all be a nice consolation when his clients end up inadvertently running a non-regulated debit card as credit and have to pay significantly more than expected.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Speaking of that, I saw an interesting thread on reddit yesterday from someone selling merchant services. According to him, there's "no difference" in fees for debit cards regardless of how they're run, so he's been recommending his clients to not get PIN pads for their countertop terminals. NFC/contactless isn't a consideration either because "barely anyone uses it".

Anyway, I'm sure that'll all be a nice consolation when his clients end up inadvertently running a non-regulated debit card as credit and have to pay significantly more than expected.
Ugh. I sell it with PIN pads and you get jerks like this. If I saw him on the subway platform I'd deck him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.