Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Did the receipt mention anything else? CDCVM typically makes the receipt say "Device Verified" or similar.
Exactly. That's no signature signature, not CDCVM
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
May I ask which credit card you used?
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa.

Did the receipt mention anything else? CDCVM typically makes the receipt say "Device Verified" or similar.
My copy of the receipt doesn't seem to? It has "VISA", "Contactless", card # (12 *s then last 4 of device card #), "**/**". Below the amount it says "APPROVED", "VISA", "AID: A0000000031010" and "TVR: 00 00 00 00 00".

Unfortunately I don't remember what other differences there may have been on the merchant receipt. The only reason I saw it was that she handed it to me to sign, which was when I saw that it said No Signature Required. Seemed like she hadn't seen that before either.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Exactly. That's no signature signature, not CDCVM
Not sure what you mean. That they just hadn't set a limit for contactless payments without signature?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
Not sure what you mean. That they just hadn't set a limit for contactless payments without signature?
Either that, or the terminal configuration is wrong. Well, either way it's wrong. "No signature required" is generally intended to indicate signature CVM was used but signature was waived. Though I have seen it for PIN transactions on some merchant terminals in the US, and as I type that - it makes me realise that's what it was. Probably the SAME merchant terminal, in fact.

Because that makes far more sense than 6k signature free. Either is a misconfiguration, really. It should say "Verified by cardholder device" or similar, just as PIN should have said "Verified by PIN"... "No signature required" is meant for when signature CVM is used.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
My copy of the receipt doesn't seem to? It has "VISA", "Contactless", card # (12 *s then last 4 of device card #), "**/**". Below the amount it says "APPROVED", "VISA", "AID: A0000000031010" and "TVR: 00 00 00 00 00".
I'm going to guess that the terminal was an Ingenico one just from the above. I think Verifone shows "Waved" or "Proximity" instead of "Contactless" on the receipt.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Either that, or the terminal configuration is wrong. Well, either way it's wrong. "No signature required" is generally intended to indicate signature CVM was used but signature was waived. Though I have seen it for PIN transactions on some merchant terminals in the US, and as I type that - it makes me realise that's what it was. Probably the SAME merchant terminal, in fact.

Because that makes far more sense than 6k signature free. Either is a misconfiguration, really. It should say "Verified by cardholder device" or similar, just as PIN should have said "Verified by PIN"... "No signature required" is meant for when signature CVM is used.
It's very possible that some terminals don't show any indication of CDCVM on the receipt. First Data's non-Clover ones don't, IIRC--not that I've noticed anyway. There might also be some weird issuer directed CVM thing going on too, like how Walmart seems to occasionally waive signature for purchases over $50 with EMV.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:51 pm

So my local Goodwill has finally enabled the EMV on their iSC250's and they use Radiant hardware. They also switched to NCR Counterpoint software with NFC enabled. ^ But the registers are so old that they show a signature thing on the screen but it doesn't capture the signature so you have to still sign a piece of paper. I've seen that same system at a different Goodwill division with NFC too so that may be their corporate pos system. NCR with EMV almost always seems to support NFC as well, with Retalix and Counterpoint having both that I have seen.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:05 am

It means the terminal floor limit and CVM limit are wrong configured (very large values).
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lyolik
It means the terminal floor limit and CVM limit are wrong configured (very large values).
TVR isn't used for Visa contactless.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
So my local Goodwill has finally enabled the EMV on their iSC250's and they use Radiant hardware. They also switched to NCR Counterpoint software with NFC enabled. ^ But the registers are so old that they show a signature thing on the screen but it doesn't capture the signature so you have to still sign a piece of paper. I've seen that same system at a different Goodwill division with NFC too so that may be their corporate pos system. NCR with EMV almost always seems to support NFC as well, with Retalix and Counterpoint having both that I have seen.
Ours is still Microsoft RMS, I wonder if they'll ever change to something different.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have a trip to Iceland coming up next year, so was pleased to run across this very encouraging report (assuming Android and Samsung Pay work equally well):

http://blog.nxp.com/security/it-may-...actless-is-hot

He doesn't mention having to sign anywhere, though the limit seems to be 4200 ISK (roughly $35). Note the gas pump photo, those have traditionally been a bane for U. S. cards, showing well over that.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have a trip to Iceland coming up next year, so was pleased to run across this very encouraging report (assuming Android and Samsung Pay work equally well):

http://blog.nxp.com/security/it-may-...actless-is-hot

He doesn't mention having to sign anywhere, though the limit seems to be 4200 ISK (roughly $35). Note the gas pump photo, those have traditionally been a bane for U. S. cards, showing well over that.
Sounds a lot like what the US may end up being (where contactless cards aren't a thing, but other devices are). Unlike Iceland, though, a minority of businesses in the US may keep contactless disabled for various reasons.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Goodwill DC process cards standalone on customer-facing FD130s and they've never complained about me using contactless. Their tills are NCR, the same as B&N and JCPenney.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Goodwill DC process cards standalone on customer-facing FD130s and they've never complained about me using contactless. Their tills are NCR, the same as B&N and JCPenney.
I wonder if the FD130s are supposed to be temporary and the iSC250s are supposed to be the long-term solution going forward.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa.

Unfortunately I don't remember what other differences there may have been on the merchant receipt. The only reason I saw it was that she handed it to me to sign, which was when I saw that it said No Signature Required. Seemed like she hadn't seen that before either.

Some terminals in Canada say NO PIN or Signature is required for this transaction instead of verified by device.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took an Uber yesterday and used Apple Pay in the app. The app acknowledged the Touch ID authorization (for $0.01) extremely quickly, unlike with the Starbucks app. That might be because I wasn't charged until after the ride finished, though.

I guess the point is that it might be Starbucks IT that makes reloads slower than they should be. I'll have to see next time I use something like Panera.

BTW I can't seem to remove cards from Uber. Anyone run into that issue before?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:10 pm

I took an Uber yesterday and used Apple Pay in the app. The app acknowledged the Touch ID authorization (for $0.01) extremely quickly, unlike with the Starbucks app. That might be because I wasn't charged until after the ride finished, though.

I guess the point is that it might be Starbucks IT that makes reloads slower than they should be. I'll have to see next time I use something like Panera.

BTW I can't seem to remove cards from Uber. Anyone run into that issue before?
I primarily use Lyft but last I used Uber they pinged my card (Capital One 360 in Apple Pay) for $2 before charging the full amount. With that being said, Lyft's Apple Pay implementation is terrible. I called a ride three weeks ago using Siri and I never got the authorisation prompt. Surprise surprise, it declined and I had to add my card back to the app. This has happened a few times in the past within the app itself.

As far as Starbucks are concerned, their Apple Pay authorisation speed seems fine most of the time. However, I once was double-charged when I cancelled a seemingly unresponsive authorisation and attempted a charge again. My only complaint overall is that they don't tell me what card I used to top-up in the email receipt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.