Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:06 pm

Apparently some Costco gas pumps have the same ctls readers as Arco stations: https://twitter.com/jordangreene/sta...47965615710209 it doesn't work yet but that is quite interesting that they even have them at any pumps.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Apparently some Costco gas pumps have the same ctls readers as Arco stations: https://twitter.com/jordangreene/sta...47965615710209 it doesn't work yet but that is quite interesting that they even have them at any pumps.
Nice equipment actually. Looks like it's due to that new Gilbarco + Verifone partnership!

I wonder what the Wayne ones will look like for the newish pumps.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Ugh. I sell it with PIN pads and you get jerks like this. If I saw him on the subway platform I'd deck him!
The thing is, he'd have a point--if Durbin applied to all debit cards. However, there are a whole lot of even mid-sized credit unions and banks that don't have anywhere close to $10 billion in assets, meaning that his advice is unnecessarily costing his clients money. (And I doubt they're large enough to negotiate deals that are anywhere close to what Walmart et al have, either.)

On that note, he also hates the VX520 despite it being one of the less expensive options (supposedly ~$150 each). Ironically it's probably also one of the better options if you want to keep your clients' customers happy (and thus your clients happy) thanks to its EMV speed.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
The thing is, he'd have a point--if Durbin applied to all debit cards. However, there are a whole lot of even mid-sized credit unions and banks that don't have anywhere close to $10 billion in assets, meaning that his advice is unnecessarily costing his clients money. (And I doubt they're large enough to negotiate deals that are anywhere close to what Walmart et al have, either.)

On that note, he also hates the VX520 despite it being one of the less expensive options (supposedly ~$150 each). Ironically it's probably also one of the better options if you want to keep your clients' customers happy (and thus your clients happy) thanks to its EMV speed.
Oddly, he might be totally correct for whoever he's peddling. If merchants aren't on interchange+ pricing, there may be no fee difference at all.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Oddly, he might be totally correct for whoever he's peddling. If merchants aren't on interchange+ pricing, there may be no fee difference at all.
It was interchange plus, with the "plus" being a flat per-transaction fee. If I'm remembering correctly, anyway.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:00 pm

He is choosing to not do PIN pads because it costs him more money when providing complementary equipment. I love the Vx520, it's robust, and rarely gives us problems. This guy just wants to make a quick buck, and saving money with PIN pads as it does cost more money. A VX520, actually costs us about $200 plus the Vx805 which is about another $150....the merchant would generally have to pony up the $150, and it's a hard sell, considering they offer "free terminals", which is why he got lazy.

There's a reason all my clients have some sort of Pin Pad with contactless.

And yes, PIN debit is also a lot lower. Durbin or not, the fee statements prove it.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
He is choosing to not do PIN pads because it costs him more money when providing complementary equipment. I love the Vx520, it's robust, and rarely gives us problems. This guy just wants to make a quick buck, and saving money with PIN pads as it does cost more money. A VX520, actually costs us about $200 plus the Vx805 which is about another $150....the merchant would generally have to pony up the $150, and it's a hard sell, considering they offer "free terminals", which is why he got lazy.

There's a reason all my clients have some sort of Pin Pad with contactless.

And yes, PIN debit is also a lot lower. Durbin or not, the fee statements prove it.
The free terminal thing always seems to have a massive catch. Except if you used Square pre-EMV, of course.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:12 am

Arco in norther CA just got new EMV readers at the pump and the islands covered with a piece of cardboard that tells people to pay at the pump, exactly the same as the ones in Southern CA. No contactless! What gives? Why did all of souther ca get them but not us? Garbage!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Arco in norther CA just got new EMV readers at the pump and the islands covered with a piece of cardboard that tells people to pay at the pump, exactly the same as the ones in Southern CA. No contactless! What gives? Why did all of souther ca get them but not us? Garbage!
I think both were installed at different times down here. That might be the case in Northern California as well.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:53 am

I think both were installed at different times down here. That might be the case in Northern California as well.
Hmmmm, I sure hope so!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:09 am

Harris Teeter's new stores in my area don't have contactless enabled. I went to three different ones in Bethesda, Falls Church, and Vienna, and they all have MX915s. Contactless disabled and new logos on the terminals. At legacy stores, some MX915s work, some don't, and all MX860s with the contactless attachment work. I don't see Kroger sorting this out anytime soon.

TLDR: Certain stores and certain lanes.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Here in Arizona, the contactless readers came weeks after the EMV readers were installed.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Dunkin Donuts have recently all changed to MX915s. Most of the ones I go to don't have EMV enabled (there's a dangler stuck in the slot telling customers to slide their cards). However, I did stop at a Dunkin Donuts in New Hampshire a few weeks ago that used the EMV slot.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I noticed earlier in the week that the contactless symbol was on the Ingenico iPP 320 terminals at the cafeteria at work. I was a bit reluctant to try until I saw a colleague pay with Apple Pay on Tuesday. On Wednesday I used my phone, and the cashier said, "Oh, I love it when people pay the cool way! " No issues with Android Pay on my phone. ^

I also used it for the first time at Subway today, and I think it was my first EMV contactless payment:

Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I noticed earlier in the week that the contactless symbol was on the Ingenico iPP 320 terminals at the cafeteria at work. I was a bit reluctant to try until I saw a colleague pay with Apple Pay on Tuesday. On Wednesday I used my phone, and the cashier said, "Oh, I love it when people pay the cool way! " No issues with Android Pay on my phone. ^

I also used it for the first time at Subway today, and I think it was my first EMV contactless payment:

They include the EMV info on one receipt now? Nice. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.