Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tmiw
I took an Uber yesterday and used Apple Pay in the app. The app acknowledged the Touch ID authorization (for $0.01) extremely quickly, unlike with the Starbucks app. That might be because I wasn't charged until after the ride finished, though.

I guess the point is that it might be Starbucks IT that makes reloads slower than they should be. I'll have to see next time I use something like Panera.

BTW I can't seem to remove cards from Uber. Anyone run into that issue before?
I got a new number on my Amex card due to some possible fraud activity. Uber would not let me remove the old card number. I just added the new card number.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I got a new number on my Amex card due to some possible fraud activity. Uber would not let me remove the old card number. I just added the new card number.
Seems like a pretty big oversight on their part to not make sure that functionality works. I'll probably just use Apple Pay from now on so I don't have to add any other cards to it.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW I think the MC map updated based on the results I'm getting in their mobile app (the website is having issues so I can't confirm there). The Dollar Tree by my house is weirdly on there now despite contactless seemingly not working there. There are also a few more local places on there now that I'd like to try at some point.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was at Dollar Tree this week - no evidence of NFC which I could swear was there in the past. Samsung Pay came up as "swiped" on the receipt.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I was at Dollar Tree this week - no evidence of NFC which I could swear was there in the past. Samsung Pay came up as "swiped" on the receipt.
Do they have chip?

Which reminds me, I need to check if contactless works again at Five Below.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Do they have chip?

The one by my house does. Not sure if it's everywhere yet.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Do they have chip?

Yes, they had EMV. Tapping a Non-NFC POS with Samsung Pay utilizes the swipe feature.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Yes, they had EMV. Tapping a Non-NFC POS with Samsung Pay utilizes the swipe feature.
Understood, I was just curious if they have it.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: Skymiles
TMIW, Can you bulk add all Zia Record Exchanges in Arizona? All of them have EMV/PIN/NFC on PAX s30 PIN pads.

The dumb part is, despite the attached pen, they still insist on signing receipts. Also, a customer tried to hand over his card and then the cashier had to REACH OVER to put it into the slot. The PIN pad was fairly obvious facing you and the guy still tried to hand the card over....are people that oblivious?

They support PIN Debit AID as well.

PS: another place I can't just seem to find a new business opened up called 360 Thrift, has Vx805 PIN Pads all properly facing the customer. Apple Paid with no problem. It was tied directly into their POS.

Last edited by RedLight2015; Oct 15, 2016 at 3:37 pm
Old Oct 15, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The dumb part is, despite the attached pen, they still insist on signing receipts. Also, a customer tried to hand over his card and then the cashier had to REACH OVER to put it into the slot. The PIN pad was fairly obvious facing you and the guy still tried to hand the card over....are people that oblivious?
2. Yes, Americans are proving pretty stupid at the checkout. Like, really, really ******* stupid.

1. The PIN pad alone isn't enough, capturing and storing signatures is a mess. If most of their transactions don't need a signature, it makes sense not to bother.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Since changing out the case on my Note 4, I've had more consistent success with Android Pay.

A new location of Tender Greens opened at the Stanford Shopping center. They had the Vivo Pay readers. I didn't get the original charge slip that I signed, but it said R for entry method. I think that was covered earlier meaning RFID?

I then used Android Pay at Kate Spade. The locations I've been to recently all seem to be EMV enabled/accept contactless payments.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
TMIW, Can you bulk add all Zia Record Exchanges in Arizona? All of them have EMV/PIN/NFC on PAX s30 PIN pads.

They support PIN Debit AID as well.

PS: another place I can't just seem to find a new business opened up called 360 Thrift, has Vx805 PIN Pads all properly facing the customer. Apple Paid with no problem. It was tied directly into their POS.
Done. (There were few enough Zia locations according to their website that I just added all of them by hand.)

BTW the search box accepts addresses as well, not just business names; you'll just have to enter the business name by hand before pushing Add. I've had to do this a few times for new businesses that Google doesn't know about yet.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
The PIN pad alone isn't enough, capturing and storing signatures is a mess. If most of their transactions don't need a signature, it makes sense not to bother.
Eh, it doesn't seem to be enough of a mess for Square et al to not bother. I'd imagine storage is cheap enough these days and the signature capture technology in general mature enough that the workload wouldn't matter much either way. It's why places like McDonald's and El Pollo Loco are going with MX915s and the like when they probably could have done something smaller.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Since changing out the case on my Note 4, I've had more consistent success with Android Pay.

A new location of Tender Greens opened at the Stanford Shopping center. They had the Vivo Pay readers. I didn't get the original charge slip that I signed, but it said R for entry method. I think that was covered earlier meaning RFID?

I then used Android Pay at Kate Spade. The locations I've been to recently all seem to be EMV enabled/accept contactless payments.
I haven't been to Tender Greens in a while. Is it the same reader that Jamba Juice uses or is it a full on EMV capable one?

Re: Kate Spade, I'll see about adding the remainder as unconfirmed (and Safeway, Hy-Vee and Goodwill too).
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I haven't been to Tender Greens in a while. Is it the same reader that Jamba Juice uses or is it a full on EMV capable one?
It was integrated with the cash register. I saw the cashier doing a swipe down the side of the monitor.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was integrated with the cash register. I saw the cashier doing a swipe down the side of the monitor.
Same setup as Jamba Juice then. I wonder how many quick service places are going to skip EMV entirely because not even Quick Chip is acceptable enough for them.

BTW I'm going to the Bay Area for a work trip the last full week of this month. I don't know if I'll have time to manage it but I'll try to go to a New Leaf location and see how well contactless actually works with Quick Chip. Considering that Visa worked with them to be the first store to adopt it, I'm betting they have EMV contactless.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:29 am

Kate Spade has had contactless for a long time. Used it at an outlet store and the cashier insisted that I show her my card. Told her it was on my phone and she cancelled the transaction and said they only accept physical cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.