Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Nacron
Kate Spade has had contactless for a long time. Used it at an outlet store and the cashier insisted that I show her my card. Told her it was on my phone and she cancelled the transaction and said they only accept physical cards
I would have asked for her shift. That's stupid and she can't just come up with her own policies on the fly.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:11 am

Swatch (UK) on Oxford Street also doesn't allow Apple Pay despite having contactless terminals. I was so tempted to just walk, but they were super friendly and said it was chain policy. Said corporate told them it's insecure so they're not to allow contactless for transactions over £30 (this limit applies only to physical cards).
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I would have asked for her shift. That's stupid and she can't just come up with her own policies on the fly.
Yeah, I didn't have any issue using a contactless payment, but I do wonder about situations like returns. Some merchants are adamant that you return the purchase to the same card number, but I wouldn't have that physical card to show them if I had used Android Pay. For instance, I was returning something for Mrs. Majuki at Zara once, and they wouldn't accept my AmEx with the last two numbers being different on the card even though it was the same account. Luckily she was elsewhere in the store to synchronize the card numbers.

It's sort of like the mindless obsession most Asian airlines have over showing the physical card used to make the booking. There are stories here on FlyerTalk of people getting turned away at check-in due to lack of having the card. What ends up happening if your card is lost or replaced, so the number changes?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've made a return using Android Pay at Kohls. It wasn't any big deal, just showed them the last 4 digits on the virtual card in the app.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
No contactless at Hilton

I tried tapping my AMEX card today at check-in, nothing - insert and sign on the ISC250.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Yeah, I didn't have any issue using a contactless payment, but I do wonder about situations like returns. Some merchants are adamant that you return the purchase to the same card number, but I wouldn't have that physical card to show them if I had used Android Pay. For instance, I was returning something for Mrs. Majuki at Zara once, and they wouldn't accept my AmEx with the last two numbers being different on the card even though it was the same account. Luckily she was elsewhere in the store to synchronize the card numbers.

It's sort of like the mindless obsession most Asian airlines have over showing the physical card used to make the booking. There are stories here on FlyerTalk of people getting turned away at check-in due to lack of having the card. What ends up happening if your card is lost or replaced, so the number changes?
The merchant account policies tend to require a refund to the same card, but most shops don't care as long as nothing funky is going on. If they really care that much, then they should configure their system to push the refund automatically (like Apple and Best Buy do).

That's a stupid policy. ID verification should suffice (and would be the best way if they actually use AVS).
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by cjw2001
I've made a return using Android Pay at Kohls. It wasn't any big deal, just showed them the last 4 digits on the virtual card in the app.
I was once asked for my last four for a Visa *purchase* at Dunkin. It declined. I tried an Amex and no problem. It was odd.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by cjw2001
I've done a return at Petco using Apple Pay. When I was instructed to swipe, I just tapped my phone and it went through just fine.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I saw someone use Samsung Pay at McDonald's just now and I'm not sure I'm impressed by the speed vs. Apple Pay. It seemed to take a while for the phone to figure out whether to use MST or NFC (she put it against the side of the MX915). The iPhone, on the other hand, seemed to recognize it near instantly, but I typically double tap the Home button while telling the cashier my order too.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
She probably didn't realize they had NFC. Samsung Pay is usually the same speed as Android Pay ... if you put the phone in the right place!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
She probably didn't realize they had NFC. Samsung Pay is usually the same speed as Android Pay ... if you put the phone in the right place!
I don't know if this has changed, but I remember Samsung not even mentioning anything about NFC in their marketing materials/video guides. Combined with only half of stores supporting NFC (at best), it seems to make sense to stick the phone next to/on the swiper by default. Still, the NFC field should be strong enough at the magstripe reader for the phone to try to use it.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I returned to my local Panera Bread. With the new case (no magnet), I had no problem using Android Pay. ^
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Five Guys by my work finally enabled EMV. Contactless is still MSD only though.

Maybe it's safe to add the rest now?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Got glass from a shop and I pulled my card out, they properly handed me the FD35 and said the customer has to insert all chip cards himself, after having it on their side of the counter.

Good start, but still why even keep it on their side of the counter to begin with? They said it "keeps it neater"...ha!

At least Apple Pay isn't a problem. Neither are PIN cards.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:26 am

Swatch's head of retail responded to me. He told me that they didn't actually have CDCVM working on their standalone terminal (so if they had let me try it it wouldn't have worked), but that due to my feedback he applied to their bank to ask for it to be enabled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.