Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Which is why I would never insert/tap/swipe before there's a total and I strongly urge everyone I know not to.
How do you deal with gas stations?

I know you're in the UK, I've no idea how the pumps work there, but on the Chevron contactless pumps I've used in the Bay area I tap on the reader to activate the pump, so obviously that's before the total is known.

At least on the Chevron on Shoreline Blvd in Mtn View CA you get an initial authorization for $100, which then is changed to the actual amount once you return the hose to the holder.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta

I know you're in the UK, I've no idea how the pumps work there, but on the Chevron contactless pumps I've used in the Bay area I tap on the reader to activate the pump, so obviously that's before the total is known.

At least on the Chevron on Shoreline Blvd in Mtn View CA you get an initial authorization for $100, which then is changed to the actual amount once you return the hose to the holder.
I've never bought petrol in the UK but in the US obviously they're an exception. There are exceptions where it just isn't feasible unfortunately. But I hate them. I HATE restaurants that take cards away. Etc
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Thinking about it more, I remember that at least some gas stations have placards on their pumps that warn about the pre-auth hold. Maybe using your card at a pump is effectively the same as agreeing to pay up to whatever the placard says?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:24 am

Five Below does EMV Contactless with Verifone Point with a customized swipe, tap, insert screen and the receipt says Visa Debit, AID, and IAD on it!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Thinking about it more, I remember that at least some gas stations have placards on their pumps that warn about the pre-auth hold. Maybe using your card at a pump is effectively the same as agreeing to pay up to whatever the placard says?
It's agreeing to the hold. State laws prevent them from charging you for more than the amount you received (tho these laws are at least historically often violated by gaming the system).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Five Below does EMV Contactless with Verifone Point with a customized swipe, tap, insert screen and the receipt says Visa Debit, AID, and IAD on it!
I'm guessing semi-integrated? Looks like they've had EMV for a while considering that there were two of them on the map, so I went ahead and added the remaining ones.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I feel like gas stations are a bit different than retail checkouts. I'm with AllieKat where I prefer to wait until the cashier is done scanning items and I see the total before I tap/insert/swipe. Obviously that's not an option with gas pumps.

With gas pumps though, the totaling is essentially automated. The price per gallon is programmed and displayed on the pump, as are the number of gallons dispensed, so the total charged is simple multiplication. The only way this would go wrong is if the incorrect price per gallon were programmed into the pump (which would be displayed), or if the pump were incorrectly measuring the amount of fuel dispensed. The latter would be easier to find, but, at least in my area, county authorities regularly inspect the pumps to ensure accuracy.

There's a lot more opportunity for error at a retail checkout. The most common issues I can think of are the price being incorrectly entered into the system and the cashier scanning the same item multiple times. By waiting for the transaction to be totaled before initiating payment, it gives me the opportunity to address the issues up front.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
There's a lot more opportunity for error at a retail checkout. The most common issues I can think of are the price being incorrectly entered into the system and the cashier scanning the same item multiple times. By waiting for the transaction to be totaled before initiating payment, it gives me the opportunity to address the issues up front.
Speaking of that, the cashier at Vons last night double-scanned one of my items by mistake. She realized it immediately though and voided the item. ^ I wonder how common mistakes like that are, and how often they require the customer to speak up to get them resolved.

Anyway, I insert after seeing the total there because there is no time savings whatsoever by inserting earlier, even though their system allows it. Found this out when I tried one of my PIN preferring cards and wasn't allowed to enter the PIN until after the cashier finished scanning everything. (In at least some other countries, you can supposedly enter the PIN while stuff's being rung up and only need to confirm the amount at the end.) That may be for the best though considering how badly the equipment at some retailers behaves if you insert at any point other than at the end.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:03 pm

Speaking of that, the cashier at Vons last night double-scanned one of my items by mistake. She realized it immediately though and voided the item. ^ I wonder how common mistakes like that are, and how often they require the customer to speak up to get them resolved.
I've seen that two. It's probably pretty easy to catch since it beeps each time an item is scanned, so they're probably trained to listen for the beep. If they hear two beeps after scanning one item they know something's wrong.

I once had a case though where the item was scanned, then the cashier manually entered it. I suspect she didn't realize it scanned, and I had to point out it was on the screen twice. She verified and voided the duplicate item.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:55 pm

Nice, they finally fixed it! Before, it would say tap but the reader would be off.

I'm guessing semi-integrated? Looks like they've had EMV for a while considering that there were two of them on the map, so I went ahead and added the remaining ones.
If those two are around DC, then I think I may be the one to have added them.

They show card info on the same receipt, so I'm not so sure it's semi-integrated.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Nov 2, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
If those two are around DC, then I think I may be the one to have added them.

They show card info on the same receipt, so I'm not so sure it's semi-integrated.
Subway now prints out one receipt and they seem semi-integrated, so I bet it's at least a possibility.

As for Five Below, one was in Maryland and the other (added today or yesterday) was in Missouri.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:54 pm

Subway now prints out one receipt and they seem semi-integrated, so I bet it's at least a possibility.

As for Five Below, one was in Maryland and the other (added today or yesterday) was in Missouri.
Yup, Maryland (Rockville) was me.

I haven't been to Subway in a while, so I wasn't aware they changed it back to a single receipt.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Yup, Maryland (Rockville) was me.

I haven't been to Subway in a while, so I wasn't aware they changed it back to a single receipt.
Yeah, Subway definitely isn't my first choice for sandwiches.

Interestingly, neither Jersey Mike's nor Firehouse Subs has EMV and it's been how long? I almost wonder if they're even going to bother.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:18 pm

I added the one in MO and I just randomly ended up next to one and after I paid I looked at the receipt and freaked out a bit when I saw all the EMV stuff on it. The UI looks and works very close to Big Lots so it most likely is semi-integrated but I can't confirm as they hide all of the cables going to the MX915s. But the transaction speed on ctls is like Starbucks and chip is a bit slower but not bad either. I will post a picture of the UI tomorrow as it has been a long day. But why they disabled NFC in the first place is because they were waiting on the certs for EMV Contactless.

Interestingly, neither Jersey Mike's nor Firehouse Subs has EMV and it's been how long? I almost wonder if they're even going to bother.
FHS is either October(came and went) so maybe sometime in November and I got that info from the area rep so its probably coming very soon.

Also if anyone has a Capital One MC/Visa card to add to Android Pay go ahead and add it as it now is supported. I saw this grocery store that rejected Visa Android Pay but it did not reject issuer supported MC Android Pay. so hmmm.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:02 am

I added the one in MO and I just randomly ended up next to one and after I paid I looked at the receipt and freaked out a bit when I saw all the EMV stuff on it. The UI looks and works very close to Big Lots so it most likely is semi-integrated but I can't confirm as they hide all of the cables going to the MX915s. But the transaction speed on ctls is like Starbucks and chip is a bit slower but not bad either. I will post a picture of the UI tomorrow as it has been a long day. But why they disabled NFC in the first place is because they were waiting on the certs for EMV Contactless.
Makes sense. They should've removed the "tap" prompt until they got it working, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.