Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Does Hallmark do emv chip as well as the contactless?

Also I remember someone saying that Petsmart with EMV has contactless and the location I went to did not have EMV yet so I did not attempt contactless.
They didn't have a sign blocking the slot of the MX915 so I assume they accept EMV cards, my Android Pay Visa went thought fine
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Nacron
They didn't have a sign blocking the slot of the MX915 so I assume they accept EMV cards
I don't think this is a reasonable assumption to make. Sure, a lot of places have added signs to block the slots, but not everyone has. I've even heard of managers telling employees to remove handmade signs.

The only way to be sure is to either perform an EMV transaction yourself or to observe someone else doing it. Most of the time seeing "insert" on the screen tells you the chip reader works, but as we know from Safeway even that's not for sure (I've seen insert prompts on terminals without EMV slots there).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
As a follow up to this, I was able to use Android Pay to pay for the MAX ticket with a Chase Sapphire Reserve today.
This page says nothing about a specific kind of contactless. It says that the fare machines accept contactless payment. There must be another factor in play.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw
Are the requirements stricter with Interac compared with Visa/MC?
In short, yes. While Interac is more akin to a US PIN Debit network in that it is 'online' instead 'offline', their security requirements in terms of encryption, key management, and message authentication far exceed that of the credit card companies and the US debit networks. Interac also some very unique requirements into even little details such as the wording of prompts on the terminal screen.

Additionally, the acquirer bears a large portion of the liability for the terminals that are used for Interac transactions and the applications being used. This has led to most not wanting equipment other than what they own and control to be used and making the leasing of equipment the more favourable option.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
This page says nothing about a specific kind of contactless. It says that the fare machines accept contactless payment. There must be another factor in play.
The fare machined clearly showed the Masterpass only for an NFC indication. I specifically looked for ))) and similar others.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Skymiles
My local circle K got brand new gas pumps...with NFC READERS...THAT WORK!! The receipt says (R) I'm guessing stands for RFID.

The color screen seems so wasted as this station doesn't use tv or anything. Just says "Fueling..." while getting gas.

This Verifone installation looks a lot better than Arco's!! Also I believe we will only see Verifone on brand new Gilbarco pumps from this point on, NFC being optional of course, but this is due to a brand new partnership with Verifone and Gilbarco.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
My local circle K got brand new gas pumps...with NFC READERS...THAT WORK!! The receipt says (R) I'm guessing stands for RFID.

The color screen seems so wasted as this station doesn't use tv or anything. Just says "Fueling..." while getting gas.

This Verifone installation looks a lot better than Arco's!! Also I believe we will only see Verifone on brand new Gilbarco pumps from this point on, NFC being optional of course, but this is due to a brand new partnership with Verifone and Gilbarco.
What pos does Circle K actually use inside the c-store? I'm not near one so I can't check one out and I've been wondering for a bit of time. Also maybe I'll finally see a contactless reader a a pump for the first time. Also can the Verifone card stuff be combined with both Gilbarco Passport and Verifone Commander systems?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The fare machined clearly showed the Masterpass only for an NFC indication. I specifically looked for ))) and similar others.
Well, contactless is contactless. It may be promoting Masterpass but there's no way for the reader to differentiate between, say, Apple Pay and Masterpass.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:06 pm

Where is this located?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Where is this located?
Phoenix, AZ, in uptown. Pretty nice station inside and out. Inside has had NFC for years but the new terminals are unlabeled now on Mx915s., but still works.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Gas stations are kinda confusing here. Just the other day for instance I went to a Mobil with a Circle K store--no contactless at either, though the outside pumps looked like they were upgraded with EMV capable equipment (including that huge screen posted above). I've also seen a 7-Eleven with Chevron pumps before; that one had EMV inside of course.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:11 am

Sheetz also using the same hardware as Circle K/ARCO/Sunoco: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwYL5PgWgAASbLv.jpg:large it does in fact work according to the person on Twitter and I wonder when they will support it inside as well? I also wonder who else will use that same hardware next?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:25 am

Sheetz also using the same hardware as Circle K/ARCO/Sunoco: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwYL5PgWgAASbLv.jpg:large it does in fact work according to the person on Twitter and I wonder when they will support it inside as well? I also wonder who else will use that same hardware next?
IIRC they use MX8xx inside. When they upgrade to MX915, contactless will probably roll around.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:52 am

Sheetz used to have contactless readers at the pump when its credit cards did. After they discontinued the cards, the contactless readers stopped working (you can still see the labels on a bunch of the older pumps). Glad they are bringing it back.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
IIRC they use MX8xx inside. When they upgrade to MX915, contactless will probably roll around.
Ah yeah they use Radiant for the pos system. I just saw a picture from August and it looks like some Sheetz may be already using MX915's and someone higher up already confirmed support for both months ago but the support is finally showing up. ^

Another chain that uses Radiant called Break Time and only uses MX860's although I've seen two locations that have the external ctls readers and its at like one register each store which they are never on. Contactless does in fact work though used it once. They won't seem to upgrade to MX915's it seems but they did just open a brand new location so I will have to check them out and maybe they installed MX915's in the new location with nfc at the pumps? QuikTrip and KwikTrip yeah said the same way but are two different companies both seem to use Radiant with NFC enabled.

So yesterday I finally used Android Pay at Little Caesars Pizza and damn the VX520 with EMV+NFC enabled is so speedy, as it seemed much faster than the MSD only VX520 although MSD is quite fast as it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.