Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:40 am

This seems to be the first time Apple are doing an Apple Pay promotion (here).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
This seems to be the first time Apple are doing an Apple Pay promotion (here).
I seem to remember Wells Fargo offering cash back when Apple Pay first came out, so this promo wouldn't be the first time. (I might be wrong though.)
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
I seem to remember Wells Fargo offering cash back when Apple Pay first came out, so this promo wouldn't be the first time. (I might be wrong though.)
Which I don't think I ever got.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:54 am

I think Wells Fargo did that independently of and with no promotion from Apple.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:56 am

A coffee shop in my area had to void and recharge me for an overcharge, and the first charge now says "Refunded" in Wallet. Never seen that before on a non-Square POS. I'm not sure what POS they're using but it's not Square - it's PC-based, swipe/tap only with VX 805, and connected to an Elo touchscreen.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Nov 14, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Wells Fargo did that independently of and with no promotion from Apple.
Perhaps.

Maybe a better example is Discover--10% cash back (doubled if you took advantage of the new cardholder offer) seems like a lot for a single company to completely cover. Then again, they started looking for ways to deny giving the full amount once people realized they could buy $10K in gift cards and get the cash back.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:36 pm

Perhaps.

Maybe a better example is Discover--10% cash back (doubled if you took advantage of the new cardholder offer) seems like a lot for a single company to completely cover. Then again, they started looking for ways to deny giving the full amount once people realized they could buy $10K in gift cards and get the cash back.
IMO that was short-sighted on Discover's part. It's as if they've never heard of churning.

I just got back from Giant and I've noticed over the past week that they started to remove the contactless logo from the screen. I didn't get to try contactless the first time I saw it disappear since I was using Starbucks Card. It re-appeared on Thursday, but it disappeared today. Contactless still works, though. This happened at three different stores (in DC, VA, and MD, respectively).
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO that was short-sighted on Discover's part. It's as if they've never heard of churning.
Speaking of not knowing what churning is, Samsung Pay's new rewards program apparently stops giving you points after your 50th monthly transaction per the T&C.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:01 am

I just got back from Giant and I've noticed over the past week that they started to remove the contactless logo from the screen. I didn't get to try contactless the first time I saw it disappear since I was using Starbucks Card. It re-appeared on Thursday, but it disappeared today. Contactless still works, though. This happened at three different stores (in DC, VA, and MD, respectively).
Same with the Giant stores in PA. Contactless definitely working though.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Skymiles

It is because the contactless logo is part of the wallpaper of that screen. It looks like the terminal couldn't load the wallpaper properly.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:17 pm

Today was the first time CVS Pay was successful. It's excruciatingly slow and the app is terrible. However, I'll use it whenever I do shop at CVS, as infrequently as I do, because I take consolation in the fact they're paying card-not-present rates.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:36 pm

So I went to an Italian restaurant with Clover + FD40 they even have the Apple Pay sticker near the door so I had no issues paying with Android Pay and it even ran as No CVM. Then went down the close the gas station with ancient pumps and saw another Apple Pay stick near the front door. They have an FD130 facing the cashier but had no issues moving it so I could tap with my phone. I first tried my debit card and it asked for a pin so I pressed the green button and it canceled the transaction unlike my Arby's with the same hardware/software so I decided to just use my credit card plus it will now go on the contactless locator. But this place seems like it would be no problem to do pin cards. ^
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
So I went to an Italian restaurant with Clover + FD40 they even have the Apple Pay sticker near the door so I had no issues paying with Android Pay and it even ran as No CVM. Then went down the close the gas station with ancient pumps and saw another Apple Pay stick near the front door. They have an FD130 facing the cashier but had no issues moving it so I could tap with my phone. I first tried my debit card and it asked for a pin so I pressed the green button and it canceled the transaction unlike my Arby's with the same hardware/software so I decided to just use my credit card plus it will now go on the contactless locator. But this place seems like it would be no problem to do pin cards. ^
MC debit card? I wonder if you'd have seen different results if you tried to use a Visa debit card instead. (I've read about PIN bypass still being allowed for Visa cards over at /r/talesfromretail.)
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:48 pm

MC debit card? I wonder if you'd have seen different results if you tried to use a Visa debit card instead. (I've read about PIN bypass still being allowed for Visa cards over at /r/talesfromretail.)
Nope it was my Visa Debit card in Android Pay and I decided to switched over to MasterCard credit. When my Arby's had their FD130 the green button would not cancel the US Common Debit transaction and would instead would allow pin bypass. So either they updated it to force pin on US Debit or the configuration is just different from what Arby's had.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:18 am

A Starbucks in a hospital had FreedomPay iPP350 terminals. Swipe/tap only and contactless declined. I tried because I saw them on the locator.

The lady before me also had issues with contactless on her BMO Interac Debit MasterCard.

I also think they may be using Datacap on the backend - the reload slip shows card type as GIFTePay.

Last edited by emmanuel_t; Nov 16, 2016 at 5:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.