FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

SeeBuyFly May 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31104737)
...they need cardholders with high FICO scores -and- they need other cardholders who pay interest. We are the high FICO component.

The problem is, we are not "holding" the cards issued. We are steadily canceling them. So they can only list us as holding one or two cards per person at any given time, yet they've given us >10 cards per person per year.

Robl May 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Keep in mind that Citi pays much less than a penny a mile. I think many years ago someone posted they only paid .3 cents a mile or something like that. Remember a lot like product rebates many miles are never cashed in.

mia May 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 31104907)
....We are steadily canceling them.....

Some people posting here hold the cards for a full year, see discussion earlier in the thread. In any event, by the time you cancel the card its associated credit line has been sold, and the security will deal with this in a way that is analogous to early repayment of a securitized mortgage.

mia May 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31104820)
Chase has an extensive domestic branch network....
Citi operates branches in many countries, but their USA retail presence is spotty......

To finish my thought, Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have extensive branch networks to create new card accounts. Citi does not. Mailers are tools they use to generate volume. American Express also has no branch network. They use targeted offers which explicitly waive their anti-churning rules.

muji May 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by asdfghjk (Post 31104510)
Has anyone been able to close a card using chat recently?

I have; about 2 weeks ago.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31054600-post943.html

coffee18 May 15, 2019 7:01 pm

I did this morning on an account chat told me to call in a week ago.

PresskittJon May 15, 2019 9:18 pm

My funny Citi don't care story from today:

Called in since my app was processing. My phone dropped the call 3 minutes in. They called back, I listened to half the message and then deleted it.

Called back 2 hours later. The guy asked if I had received the prior voicemail....could I listen to it...no sorry. I think they left a verification code but I was too lazy to listen to the entire message. My phone dropped this call 4 minutes in. Rep called me back and said verification complete and I was approved super fast. He apparently didn't want the call to drop.

"I'm glad we were able to get this taken care of for you. I know you know the routine here since you've had.....a.....couple......of these. You have already found out you'll receive the card in 7-10 days......"

It was hilarious. I made it difficult for them and they still gave me my 13th card in 14 months.

StartinSanDiego May 16, 2019 9:16 am

My only conclusion: Wow.

flyer4512 May 16, 2019 7:59 pm

I'm sure some here remember that years ago Citi let the same constant churn go with the Hilton card, 40K points ( and other similar offers 50, 60 K) for spending $1000. It was actually better than the current AA churn for some as you didn't need mailers.

Eventually the public links had language where you could not get the bonus again but for over a year there were links posted on this website that allowed you to keep churning.

Then one day it all ended, enjoy the AA churn while it lasts.

slappychasez May 17, 2019 10:28 am

Just was approved for my 4th Citi AA card this year. Applied on day 66 after my 2nd card of the year. Still looks to be going strong!

bigshooter May 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by slappychasez (Post 31111555)
Just was approved for my 4th Citi AA card this year. Applied on day 66 after my 2nd card of the year. Still looks to be going strong!

Wish it was going strong for me... I'm out of mailers after the one I was just approved for last Monday. :(

I did go back and realize it's my 13th card though... probably bad luck and my mailers are being delivered to my neighbor or something.

Carl Christensen May 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Updated

flyer4512 May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen (Post 31112806)

i churned aa during this time as I was able to churn Amex Hilton (and still sitting on 2.2mill after burning through 3mill in the last year).

it hurts my heart to think about the citi aa churn ending. You are completely correct that in can, but I’m in denial trying to think it won’t.

Having earned close to 10 million Aa miles in the last few years and burned through that almost as fast as we earn it (only sitting on 1.5 million currently having burned 1 million in the last few months alone), many of us will face a reckoning in lifestyle if the last great churn ends.

I didn't realize AMEX had a churn like that for Hilton, I was hitting the Citi Hilton Signature card.

BTW, there is a 75K HH Amex offer going around without the lifetime language, I just picked one up for my wife, $1K spend

Flygirl98 May 18, 2019 7:05 am

Good Morning Everyone! I finished spend on card from a targeted mailer on the day before last day of my cycle. The charges posted last day of cycle and appeared on statement (so required $4,000 spend was met). No bonus miles posted. I have the letter from citi bank confirming bonus when I received card. Is this normal? Will I receive next month?

Flygirl98 May 18, 2019 7:17 am

Just answered my own question! I had a return and didn't realize it was still included in my "purchases" (and then credited with my payments)! Ok, I guess I'll be getting bonus next month! Cheers!