FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

VegasGambler Jan 1, 2019 5:57 pm

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

For those playing the mailer-churning game, what's the preferred cancellation strategy? The 24 month clock seems irrelevant, so it seems to be better to wait until 6 months to try for a retention offer, and then another 6 months to try again, rather than cancel right after getting the bonus? Is there an advantage to cancelling well before the 1 year mark? As long as you can lower the credit limit, having 12+ open at once should be no problem.

NTP9766 Jan 1, 2019 6:01 pm

I close the card once I’ve met the spend and received the bonus. I see no reason at all to keep the card open to let it sit in a drawer taking up valuable CL with Citi.

bobert24 Jan 3, 2019 10:15 am

Some interesting datapoints related to chat. I had a good bit of time today that I was going to be waiting in front of the computer, so I figured it was a good time to chat.

I had a lot to do today (several old cards to close, a couple matches to request) across multiple login accounts. It took 5 chats to get 2 matches - the other 3 reps said I'd need to call in to get the match (and they all provided different numbers). I couldn't tell if it was lack of ability/rights in the system, or lack of knowledge that they could actually submit the request themselves. It did seem like some of them were from different areas/departments than others.

I also had 6 cards I needed to close. I tried 9 chats, and managed to close 4 cards. The last two cards apparently had something in the system that just would not let the reps close them. They said I'd need to call in and provide verbal confirmation, and by the time we got done, I believed them. I thought maybe it had something to do with how new the cards were, but I managed to close a newer card on one account than one I wasn't able to close on another account.

No earth-shattering news here, but just a confirmation that HUCA does often work on chat. Not every time, but it's definitely worth trying.

SeeBuyFly Jan 3, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30604601)
The last two cards apparently had something in the system that just would not let the reps close them.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30563151-post63.html

...but SM worked fine to close this card as of 12/28/18.

Happy Jan 3, 2019 1:26 pm

Were able to close a card via workaround SM end of the year and another card yesterday - both showed closed when I logged back in a few hours later.

Chat remains the best way to reduce CL as it is done thru the chat while the workaround SM would take several days.

Personally I would use SM to
1) request match (need to give a few days before hearing the outcome, 2) close account.

But I would use chat to reduce CL.

Both are painless,

bobert24 Jan 3, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30604796)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30563151-post63.html

...but SM worked fine to close this card as of 12/28/18.

You nailed it. Whether it was an offer on the account or something else that was preventing closure via chat, it wasn't a problem at all via SM. Both stubborn accounts have been closed with no question.

bobert24 Jan 3, 2019 8:54 pm

A reminder for those of us (probably a majority of us in this thread) who are pretty much locked out of any other cards (due to 5/24, etc.): AA cardholders get a 40% discount when you book hotels & cars at www.useaamiles.com . It comes out to right at 1 CPM for hotels. Not the greatest redemption value, but if you're earning AA miles faster than you can use them, and don't have the option to earn in another hotel program, it's not bad.

bigshooter Jan 3, 2019 11:35 pm

Well 3 for 3 in needing to send in W2 for a new card. I've been slowly lowering my income 5% each time (not sure if understating compared to W2 would be an issue) and still get the processing message and have to call in. Not sure what the secret sauce is to get instant approvals anymore.

On a mostly positive note, no shortage of mailers except that they are all 50/10 now. Guess they are trying to recoup losses a little bit by getting the extra $3k in fees...

Richard Berg Jan 4, 2019 1:53 am

15K match is alive & well. Haven't gotten a 20K match in a long time -- they seem to consider these 50+10 deals as "60K" for offer-comparison purposes.

Have not changed my communications strategy at all in the last year. Not seeing any reason I should, either.

Match -> SM
Reduce CL -> chat
Cancel -> phone robot

coffee18 Jan 4, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30607197)
A reminder for those of us (probably a majority of us in this thread) who are pretty much locked out of any other cards (due to 5/24, etc.): AA cardholders get a 40% discount when you book hotels & cars at www.useaamiles.com . It comes out to right at 1 CPM for hotels. Not the greatest redemption value, but if you're earning AA miles faster than you can use them, and don't have the option to earn in another hotel program, it's not bad.

I got around 1.4 CPM for the hotel I booked today. Not great, but unless I'm going international J/F, not any worse than any domestic AA flight I've booked. Additionally, the 10% miles back benefit for Citi AA, up to 10k miles a year, actually applies in www.useaamiles.com bookings, bumping the CPM higher. I think the cash rate at AA's site is higher which bumped up the supposed value, but, whatever, I got the hotel I wanted, which wasn't part of a chain, and that's all that matters.

jameswes Jan 4, 2019 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 30607844)
15K match is alive & well. Haven't gotten a 20K match in a long time -- they seem to consider these 50+10 deals as "60K" for offer-comparison purposes.

Have not changed my communications strategy at all in the last year. Not seeing any reason I should, either.

Match -> SM
Reduce CL -> chat
Cancel -> phone robot

Didn't Citi just get rid of secure messages? I can't seem to send them anymore.

Is there actually a 75K offer out there for the personal platinum card? I can't seem to find it, and I feel a little odd asking for a match if there isn't actually a 75K offer available.

mia Jan 4, 2019 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30611928)
Didn't Citi just get rid of secure messages? I can't seem to send them anymore.

Begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...read-only.html

VegasGambler Jan 5, 2019 11:51 pm

Citi AA cards: Discussion of TARGETED offers (includes mailers)

Is it wise to wait until the match request is acknowledged before meeting the minimum spend? Or does it not matter?

SLINKYTRAVEL Jan 6, 2019 4:50 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30616348)
Is it wise to wait until the match request is acknowledged before meeting the minimum spend? Or does it not matter?

i have done both numerous times and it does not seem to matter. What does matter is the length of time between opening the card and when you request (I.e. you cannot ask for a match for a card you opened 1yr ago...)

rover4618 Jan 6, 2019 8:08 am

D.P....... Approved today using a 11/15 expiration mailer .... 60K/3K