FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

NTP9766 Jan 12, 19 5:07 am

I am certainly not going to be doing the second half of that spend. Not worth it to me.

LWT3 Jan 12, 19 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 30643714)
Are you guys doing the 2nd half of the bonus?

No way.

Originally Posted by jedaero (Post 30640963)
I have 3 Citi AA Plats as of now. Should I cancel or PC?

It's all personal preference. Some people cancel shortly after receiving the bonus. Some people keep the cards open for a year and then cancel. Neither course of action has had any benefits or drawbacks with Citi, provided Citi sees you as being well below whatever total credit limit they think you can handle. So if you keep cards open, you should always reduce the CL to the minimum on any card you don't intend to use going forward.

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30643465)
I just received a 60K/$3K email offer despite recently getting the card. Any experience in getting Citi to lower the minimum spend (I used a 60K/$4K code) to the latest offer? Or should I just focus on getting matched to 75K (haven't received a response to my SM, so may repeat the request in chat soon)?

I've never seen a post on that, but I think there is zero chance of success with trying to lower the spend. CSRs can't change the terms of an offer. They can grant additional points as a courtesy to match a higher offer.

canyoncar Jan 12, 19 10:29 am

What is the consensus on whether Business CLs count towards total CL exposure or not?
The reason I ask is because I opened a business account recently and I received an unusually large (for me) credit limit.

Happy Jan 12, 19 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 30643714)
Are you guys doing the 2nd half of the bonus? 13,000 AA miles for $3K spend seems borderline -- when you have a huge balance from this church, the value of a marginal mile is pretty low. Meanwhile, opportunity costs (basic cash-back cards) have risen now that BoA's at 2.625%.

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30644778)
I am certainly not going to be doing the second half of that spend. Not worth it to me.

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30644922)
No way.

That probably very well be the reason last time Citi tried this and eventually reverted back to the 60K/$3K and 65K/$4K offer after sending out the worse offers for a couple months.
This is the 2nd round of such test if not the 3rd round, that would meet the same failure. :)

NTP9766 Jan 12, 19 2:36 pm

In that case, it's our duty to close the card after the initial bonus, never even attempting to make that spend!

jiaogulan Jan 12, 19 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30646408)
In that case, it's our duty to close the card after the initial bonus, never even attempting to make that spend!

Yep. If I haven't done MS by now, I am not gonna suddenly ramp it up just for this.

tmiw Jan 12, 19 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30644922)
I've never seen a post on that, but I think there is zero chance of success with trying to lower the spend. CSRs can't change the terms of an offer. They can grant additional points as a courtesy to match a higher offer.

Figured as much. I just did a chat request for an additional 15K and the guy I talked to put in the request, so we'll see what happens. ^

RobertHanson Jan 12, 19 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30646749)
Figured as much. I just did a chat request for an additional 15K and the guy I talked to put in the request, so we'll see what happens. ^

Please update your results. I'm curious if you end up with 65K miles without doing the extra spend. Likewise, anyone who does the extra spend and also requests the courtesy bonus, let us know if you end up with 75K miles.

TIA

tmiw Jan 12, 19 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30646862)
Please update your results. I'm curious if you end up with 65K miles without doing the extra spend. Likewise, anyone who does the extra spend and also requests the courtesy bonus, let us know if you end up with 75K miles.

TIA

My expectation is that I'll need to spend all $4K to get 60-75K; my initial offer wasn't split into two parts as what others have gotten and I didn't ask for a reduction in minimum spend. I'll update when I get the bonus in any case.

Saturn Jan 13, 19 12:08 am

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 30641268)
Just got my denial letter. Was correct, too much credit extended. As soon as I pay my card off, I'll lower it and apply for the next.

I would at least call recon and ask whether they would overturn the decision if they moved credit from that other card.

Saturn Jan 13, 19 12:19 am

Originally Posted by jedaero (Post 30640963)
I have 3 Citi AA Plats as of now. Should I cancel or PC?

I got 1 AA card in June (large CL) - bonus received
1 AA in July 2018 (lowered CL to $2k) - bonus received
1 AA last month, Dec 2018 - working on MSR

Should I cancel my first 2 other cards?
- if so, when?
- can I cancel the cards within 30 days of the AF posting?

My first tendency is to keep the account alive as a no AF card and with a lower CL. You will have to keep it for a year before Citi allows that. You could already lower the limit on your oldest card now to cushion the impact of reduced credit on your score. PC requires calling them. If the fee posts before the downgrade is complete it doesn't hurt to tell them about removing it. While the typical rep will offer downgrade to MileUp card you can convert to something actually useful. My first choice would be Dividend. Second is DoubleCash. For TYP ATT Access would be useful. If you keep churning Plats you probably will prefer cancelling them which can be done before the first year is up.

PETERPNYC Jan 13, 19 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 30647788)
I would at least call recon and ask whether they would overturn the decision if they moved credit from that other card.

And if they deny that HUCA . I feel quite confident it will be Citiís pleasure to have you as a customer AGAIN.

IkeEsq Jan 13, 19 6:01 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30643465)
I just received a 60K/$3K email offer despite recently getting the card. Any experience in getting Citi to lower the minimum spend (I used a 60K/$4K code) to the latest offer? Or should I just focus on getting matched to 75K (haven't received a response to my SM, so may repeat the request in chat soon)?

They will not change the offer you signed up under. They only add miles as a courtesy to match a better offer. This is like waiving the annual fee, they give you a credit instead.

Also note that the email offer is probably subject to the 24-month rule, in case you were planning on using it.

canyoncar Jan 13, 19 10:28 am

Chatted in to reduce cash advance line, the rep asked "would you also like to decrease the credit access line?" :D

Happy Jan 13, 19 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by canyoncar (Post 30649235)
Chatted in to reduce cash advance line, the rep asked "would you also like to decrease the credit access line?" :D

I have the exact opposite. Chatted to lower credit line to 2K and the rep said would you also like to lower your cash advance line right now is at 4K? I dont think the 4K cash advance would work if the CL is down to 2K! Goes to tell you chat reps (most likely located overseas) are very mechanical when going about their jobs...