FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

AugustWest Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am

DP: Via chat I asked to be matched to the 70K offer on a 50+10 mailer --and specifically asked for 20K extra. Letter received that I will be getting extra 10K.
Lesson learned. Don't do what I did. All the folks suggesting asking to be matched to 75K have the better approach.

NTP9766 Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 30572300)
After 12 days, I still hadn’t received any confirmation of the bonus match (mail or email), so I chatted with Citi again. The CSR checked my account and copied/pasted the text confirming the 15k match approval, then gave me an extra 1k out of the blue for good measure.

Billing cycle finally closed and I can confirm the 15k 16k bonus match posted to my AA account.

bobert24 Jan 17, 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by cb11 (Post 30662121)
How long until after creating accounts on AA did you all start receiving mailers? Applied for a regular (non-mailer) personal then regular Biz in the last month so to continue I'll need mailers.

Signed up for accounts for family members end of November.

My parents started getting them about 4 months after opening their accounts. That seems to have been the fairly standard answer around here.

Of course, you do have to recognize that Citi doesn't send out mailers every day, and possibly not even every month. They definitely have them on a schedule. So it's possible it could be a little over 4 months, if the timing is bad.

bobert24 Jan 17, 2019 7:35 am

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30659232)
Starting with our apps in October, I switched from every 33 days to every 65 day. Since then we've either been auto-approved or approved without a phone call after further processing.

We went the opposite direction, but with the same basic results. We were at one every 33 days with no auto approvals. Dropped to one every 65, and started getting auto-approved almost every time. Back up to one every 33 now, and back to no auto approvals. There definitely seems to be a timeframe below which you're gonna have to call.

fredc84 Jan 17, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by 40orFight (Post 30664415)
Took longer for me. Was more like six months, I think.

Got you beat :p 8 months for me. And that was with using the accounts on the dining rewards through AA around month 2.

AugustWest Jan 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Another DP: A new mailer today-60K for 3K! I am 2 days out from my next app and thought I was stuck with the 50+10 offer again.

walterj Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 30664366)
One. I switched from one card every 33 days to one every 65 days. It was never possible to do 2 every 33 days.

I get it. Fewer cards, but instant approval and less scrutiny. I thought you may be switching from every one card 33 days to two cards one at 65 days and a 2nd 8 days later, that some people are doing.

gmt4 Jan 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 30667419)
Another DP: A new mailer today-60K for 3K! I am 2 days out from my next app and thought I was stuck with the 50+10 offer again.

AugustWest Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

3/15. Sorry, I realize that is important data, too.

RobertHanson Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30667520)
I get it. Fewer cards, but instant approval and less scrutiny. I thought you may be switching from every one card 33 days to two cards one at 65 days and a 2nd 8 days later, that some people are doing.

If the choice is one card every 33 days, but I have to call in to get it approved, or one every 65 days with an instant approval, I'm calling every time. The calls used to take around 30 minutes, which was a real PITA, but now they only take around 3 minutes, and are of course toll free. For an extra 50k/60K/75K miles, yes, I will happily call in. Especially since due to 5/24, once in a lifetime, 2/3/4, and MAC, this is about the only card out there I can get approved any more. And happily one every 33 days keeps me at the Citi ideal of 6 HPs in 6 months.

Only one app every 65 days? What am I supposed to do those other 64 days? ;)

bobert24 Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30668114)
On my mailer from November, I did a chat request for 15K. Chat CSR said he was requesting it right then. Unlike others, did not hear from Citi about this afterwards. No letter, no email, nothing. Met the full spend, and the sign up bonus posted 6 days ago. But no courtesy bonus of any sort. Do I go back to chat and ask again? Or just let it go?

How long ago did you chat? If it was more than ~2 weeks before the statement closed & bonus posted, I'd ask again. I say 2 weeks mainly because that's the longest we've heard of it taking anyone to hear from Citi (and that includes waiting on snail mail).

RobertHanson Jan 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30668186)
How long ago did you chat? If it was more than ~2 weeks before the statement closed & bonus posted, I'd ask again. I say 2 weeks mainly because that's the longest we've heard of it taking anyone to hear from Citi (and that includes waiting on snail mail).

It was around 2 months ago. I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I didn't expect to hear back from AA. I just expected the bonus to post after I met the spend. Only lately heard that people are getting fairly quick responses to the request. Not sure what to do now, as I didn't take any screen shots, don't remember the name of the CSR, etc.

jvel Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Has anyone received a 40k/2k in 3 months with 20k/10k in 12 months mailer? I ended up applying for it today (have a few other mailers with the standard 50k/3k and 10k/6k) and received further processing required. Needed to send in utility bill for address verification, so will hopefully be approved tomorrow.

But, has anyone had any luck adjusting the spend requirement for the second bonus? I’ll gladly take the 40k miles but going for the additional 20k is a little steep.

LWT3 Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30668341)
It was around 2 months ago. I didn't think anything about it at the time, as I didn't expect to hear back from AA. I just expected the bonus to post after I met the spend. Only lately heard that people are getting fairly quick responses to the request. Not sure what to do now, as I didn't take any screen shots, don't remember the name of the CSR, etc.

Nothing to lose by trying chat again.

LWT3 Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by walterj (Post 30667520)

Yes. My reason for slowing down was 90% because of an odd experience that made me fear I was attracting too much attention from Citi and 10% because I am finding it harder to hit the minimum spend 2 x 33 days for H and W plus occasional apps for two others in our circle, The auto-approval is just a small side bonus for me. A little more than that for my wife who hates calling but does it when necessary.

My odd experience was getting a call asking not just "did you apply" but also where (which computer, home or office) did you apply from. Followed by, have you applied for anyone else. The rep noted multiple apps for different people from the same ip address. It spooked me a little. Since then the auto approvals have been a welcome change. As of now, I'm going to stick with 1 app every 65 days for me and one for my wife (and we are spaced almost a month apart, so it ends up being 1 app per month, more or less) mostly because I'm not sure how much minimum spend I can do and want to do, but I can see myself moving to a shorter wait time at least occasionally. I hate to leave points on the table by applying too slowly, and we never know when this might end.