FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

VegasGambler Jan 1, 19 5:57 pm

Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching)

For those playing the mailer-churning game, what's the preferred cancellation strategy? The 24 month clock seems irrelevant, so it seems to be better to wait until 6 months to try for a retention offer, and then another 6 months to try again, rather than cancel right after getting the bonus? Is there an advantage to cancelling well before the 1 year mark? As long as you can lower the credit limit, having 12+ open at once should be no problem.

NTP9766 Jan 1, 19 6:01 pm

I close the card once Iíve met the spend and received the bonus. I see no reason at all to keep the card open to let it sit in a drawer taking up valuable CL with Citi.

bobert24 Jan 3, 19 10:15 am

Some interesting datapoints related to chat. I had a good bit of time today that I was going to be waiting in front of the computer, so I figured it was a good time to chat.

I had a lot to do today (several old cards to close, a couple matches to request) across multiple login accounts. It took 5 chats to get 2 matches - the other 3 reps said I'd need to call in to get the match (and they all provided different numbers). I couldn't tell if it was lack of ability/rights in the system, or lack of knowledge that they could actually submit the request themselves. It did seem like some of them were from different areas/departments than others.

I also had 6 cards I needed to close. I tried 9 chats, and managed to close 4 cards. The last two cards apparently had something in the system that just would not let the reps close them. They said I'd need to call in and provide verbal confirmation, and by the time we got done, I believed them. I thought maybe it had something to do with how new the cards were, but I managed to close a newer card on one account than one I wasn't able to close on another account.

No earth-shattering news here, but just a confirmation that HUCA does often work on chat. Not every time, but it's definitely worth trying.

SeeBuyFly Jan 3, 19 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30604601)
The last two cards apparently had something in the system that just would not let the reps close them.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30563151-post63.html

...but SM worked fine to close this card as of 12/28/18.

Happy Jan 3, 19 1:26 pm

Were able to close a card via workaround SM end of the year and another card yesterday - both showed closed when I logged back in a few hours later.

Chat remains the best way to reduce CL as it is done thru the chat while the workaround SM would take several days.

Personally I would use SM to
1) request match (need to give a few days before hearing the outcome, 2) close account.

But I would use chat to reduce CL.

Both are painless,

bobert24 Jan 3, 19 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30604796)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30563151-post63.html

...but SM worked fine to close this card as of 12/28/18.

You nailed it. Whether it was an offer on the account or something else that was preventing closure via chat, it wasn't a problem at all via SM. Both stubborn accounts have been closed with no question.

bobert24 Jan 3, 19 8:54 pm

A reminder for those of us (probably a majority of us in this thread) who are pretty much locked out of any other cards (due to 5/24, etc.): AA cardholders get a 40% discount when you book hotels & cars at www.useaamiles.com . It comes out to right at 1 CPM for hotels. Not the greatest redemption value, but if you're earning AA miles faster than you can use them, and don't have the option to earn in another hotel program, it's not bad.

bigshooter Jan 3, 19 11:35 pm

Well 3 for 3 in needing to send in W2 for a new card. I've been slowly lowering my income 5% each time (not sure if understating compared to W2 would be an issue) and still get the processing message and have to call in. Not sure what the secret sauce is to get instant approvals anymore.

On a mostly positive note, no shortage of mailers except that they are all 50/10 now. Guess they are trying to recoup losses a little bit by getting the extra $3k in fees...

Richard Berg Jan 4, 19 1:53 am

15K match is alive & well. Haven't gotten a 20K match in a long time -- they seem to consider these 50+10 deals as "60K" for offer-comparison purposes.

Have not changed my communications strategy at all in the last year. Not seeing any reason I should, either.

Match -> SM
Reduce CL -> chat
Cancel -> phone robot

coffee18 Jan 4, 19 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30607197)
A reminder for those of us (probably a majority of us in this thread) who are pretty much locked out of any other cards (due to 5/24, etc.): AA cardholders get a 40% discount when you book hotels & cars at www.useaamiles.com . It comes out to right at 1 CPM for hotels. Not the greatest redemption value, but if you're earning AA miles faster than you can use them, and don't have the option to earn in another hotel program, it's not bad.

I got around 1.4 CPM for the hotel I booked today. Not great, but unless I'm going international J/F, not any worse than any domestic AA flight I've booked. Additionally, the 10% miles back benefit for Citi AA, up to 10k miles a year, actually applies in www.useaamiles.com bookings, bumping the CPM higher. I think the cash rate at AA's site is higher which bumped up the supposed value, but, whatever, I got the hotel I wanted, which wasn't part of a chain, and that's all that matters.

jameswes Jan 4, 19 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 30607844)
15K match is alive & well. Haven't gotten a 20K match in a long time -- they seem to consider these 50+10 deals as "60K" for offer-comparison purposes.

Have not changed my communications strategy at all in the last year. Not seeing any reason I should, either.

Match -> SM
Reduce CL -> chat
Cancel -> phone robot

Didn't Citi just get rid of secure messages? I can't seem to send them anymore.

Is there actually a 75K offer out there for the personal platinum card? I can't seem to find it, and I feel a little odd asking for a match if there isn't actually a 75K offer available.

mia Jan 4, 19 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 30611928)
Didn't Citi just get rid of secure messages? I can't seem to send them anymore.

Begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...read-only.html

VegasGambler Jan 5, 19 11:51 pm

Citi AA cards: Discussion of TARGETED offers (includes mailers)

Is it wise to wait until the match request is acknowledged before meeting the minimum spend? Or does it not matter?

SLINKYTRAVEL Jan 6, 19 4:50 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30616348)
Is it wise to wait until the match request is acknowledged before meeting the minimum spend? Or does it not matter?

i have done both numerous times and it does not seem to matter. What does matter is the length of time between opening the card and when you request (I.e. you cannot ask for a match for a card you opened 1yr ago...)

rover4618 Jan 6, 19 8:08 am

D.P....... Approved today using a 11/15 expiration mailer .... 60K/3K

callmedtop Jan 6, 19 8:56 am

Interesting data point today. Called reconsidation for an app, and per usual the agent put me on hold while she processed. As I was on hold I received a call from a 210 area code number, which I sent to voicemail. The agent then got back on the phone and said that she needed additional time to process, which may take anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of days.

I then checked my voicemail, and it was the excat same agent who had literally put me on hold to call my phone and leave me a voicemail. She said she was calling from Citi verification and that I needed to call in to provide a 4-digit security code. So, I called, and was approved in 2 minutes.

Pretty funny that this woman put me on hold to only call my phone and leave me a message as if I wasn’t on the other line with her. Very bizarre.

canyoncar Jan 6, 19 9:03 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop (Post 30617471)
Interesting data point today. Called reconsidation for an app, and per usual the agent put me on hold while she processed. As I was on hold I received a call from a 210 area code number, which I sent to voicemail. The agent then got back on the phone and said that she needed additional time to process, which may take anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of days.

I then checked my voicemail, and it was the excat same agent who had literally put me on hold to call my phone and leave me a voicemail. She said she was calling from Citi verification and that I needed to call in to provide a 4-digit security code. So, I called, and was approved in 2 minutes.

Pretty funny that this woman put me on hold to only call my phone and leave me a message as if I wasnít on the other line with her. Very bizarre.

I've had the same exact thing happen. they called both my Goog Voice number and a relative's cell phone(!!) to give a pin number, both phone numbers which I never provided to them. I figure they're getting the phone numbers from some sort of public records company
Of course the relative knew it was for me, since I received a text later saying "uhh i got a voicemail from citi?" :D

desikid Jan 6, 19 12:42 pm

I have 2 Citi AA world MC already and have one mailer in hand for 60K/3K . If I apply, will I be approved & eligible for bonus? My last bonus miles were more than 24 mo. back
T&C on mailer says: If you are existing Cit/Aadvantage cardmember, you are not eligible for this offer on your existing account..

I am not sure about the "existing account" wording.. Is it referring to citi card account? If so, then when I apply for new card, I will get new card number which will make it new account anyway.. Or does it refer to "Aadvantage mileage account" ?

Can anyone help please?

flyer4512 Jan 6, 19 3:13 pm

DP..wife applied/approved today using 11/15 mailer 60K. Had to verify code via text and answer a few questions. Last AA apps were 12/4/18 and 9/25/18. Will use chat for 15 K match when card arrives as chat math worked for her last card

rrgg Jan 6, 19 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Berg (Post 30619717)
I saw that DoC post back in Nov, but had no trouble with SM in recent days. It's right back where it always was: account page -> help & support -> contact us -> secure message center.

That doesnít work. It shows existing messages but you canít send a new one or reply. Thatís what people are complaining about.

rover4618 Jan 6, 19 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 30619768)
That doesnít work. It shows existing messages but you canít send a new one or reply. Thatís what people are complaining about.

I can and did sent one 2 days ago got answer today.

AndyGator87 Jan 7, 19 12:00 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30616348)

Did not matter for me. I did a simple match request over chat, she said it would be passed on. I had already met minimum spend, but the statement hadn't closed/posted. 4 days later, statement posts and miles are 75,000 instead of 60,000.

jiaogulan Jan 7, 19 8:25 am

Originally Posted by geclub1 (Post 30593652)
Yep. Asked for 20K, given 15K.

Asked for 20K. Was told to wait for the letter. Been expecting 15K. Letter comes, states I will get 10K. :rolleyes:

On the normal 50K/10K offer we are all getting now.

bobert24 Jan 7, 19 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30622133)
Asked for 20K. Was told to wait for the letter. Been expecting 15K. Letter comes, states I will get 10K. :rolleyes:

On the normal 50K/10K offer we are all getting now.

Wow. This makes no sense at all.

Actually, reading your original report, did you ask for 20k, or did you ask to be matched to 70k? If you asked for 20k, this makes no sense. If you asked to be matched to 70k, that's exactly what they did, since your 50k/3k + 10k/10k offer has a maximum bonus of 60k.

NTP9766 Jan 7, 19 12:46 pm

One thing I always do is specify exactly how many miles I'm trying to get. I always write out "15k miles" to be sure.

phant0m Jan 7, 19 3:54 pm

I denied for an AA card about a month and a half after getting one. I wonder if it's cause they gave me such a huge limit on the one before..I have another mailer to try in Feb.

AugustWest Jan 7, 19 4:04 pm

HUCA worked with the Chat people for a match. First person was clueless and gave me a number to an unrelated office. Second person was great and said she'd forward my request immediately. Asked for 20K (on a 50+10 offer), so we'll see what I get. I sure do miss SM.

bigboy61 Jan 7, 19 4:26 pm

We just got the letter in the mail from Citi regarding the bonus match I requested. They only give us 5k miles on the 50k + 10k offer. Disappointed... I guess they just gave us 5k to make the maximum bonus 65k.

desikid Jan 7, 19 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 30619200)
DP..wife applied/approved today using 11/15 mailer 60K. Had to verify code via text and answer a few questions. Last AA apps were 12/4/18 and 9/25/18. Will use chat for 15 K match when card arrives as chat math worked for her last card

Where to see if mailer has 24 mo. language or not? I have 2 mailers and want to ensure I do get bonus if approved...

cyberkarl Jan 7, 19 5:22 pm

Recently got the Exec card with the 60k bonus on $6k spend. Chat w/Citi requesting additional 15k was successful--got the letter in the mail today.

jiaogulan Jan 7, 19 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 30623387)
Wow. This makes no sense at all.

Actually, reading your original report, did you ask for 20k, or did you ask to be matched to 70k? If you asked for 20k, this makes no sense. If you asked to be matched to 70k, that's exactly what they did, since your 50k/3k + 10k/10k offer has a maximum bonus of 60k.

I used this line posted by another user here, edited very slightly from 15,000 to 20,000: "Hi, Would you as a one time courtesy provide a match of +20,000 AA miles to match the higher offer that is available at 70,000 miles?"

Seems my flaw was not foreseeing they would see 70,000 and then split the difference between 60,000 as my max, not the 50,000. In retrospect, I can see why they would do this. Oh well, first world problems.

jiaogulan Jan 7, 19 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30624776)
I used this line posted by another user here, edited very slightly from 15,000 to 20,000: "Hi, Would you as a one time courtesy provide a match of +20,000 AA miles to match the higher offer that is available at 70,000 miles?"

Seems my flaw was not foreseeing they would see 70,000 and then split the difference between 60,000 as my max, not the 50,000. In retrospect, I can see why they would do this. Oh well, first world problems.

Turned my frown upside down and just got another 50K/3K approved tonight, and I'll match it out better this time. ;) The reason I am posting though is because the agent who did the text message and address confirmation for approval, made a comment that "you're a great customer and I see you know the drill" when talking about how long it will take me to get the card, and for the first time ever (for me at least) she said on the call "you'll get 50,000 miles after spending $3,000". Nice to get an extra confirmation of the bonus haha, not that I've ever had any issues.

jiaogulan Jan 7, 19 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 30624776)

I figured it would take 2 seconds to chat and ask, so I asked for 5,000 more stating "I found a new offer that mentions 75,000, as opposed to the original 70,000 one I saw" and they will grant my wish hopefully.

"I reviewed your account in this case I will go ahead and raise a dispute from your side for additional 5000 reward points.
Monika
at 20:20, Jan 7:
Upon review and approval when rewards will be awarded you should see 75000 points in your reward account."

flyer4512 Jan 7, 19 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by desikid (Post 30624504)
Where to see if mailer has 24 mo. language or not? I have 2 mailers and want to ensure I do get bonus if approved...

Read the WIKI

flyer4512 Jan 7, 19 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by bigboy61 (Post 30624425)
We just got the letter in the mail from Citi regarding the bonus match I requested. They only give us 5k miles on the 50k + 10k offer. Disappointed... I guess they just gave us 5k to make the maximum bonus 65k.

How many miles did you ask for ? Hopefully this is an isolated incident but 55K is still a good deal over and over and................

fredc84 Jan 7, 19 8:28 pm

DP1: Applied for SO for 60K/$3K bonus. Instant approval. After receipt and activation, requested match to 75K. Interestingly, at first the chat person read my initial post and tried to tell me I needed to call, but I could tell they didn't know what they were talking about so I went ahead and put in the standard blurb about getting the courtesy 15K and would they please forward my request to the correct department. Once they read that, they said they would. Two days ago, we got a postal letter saying we would get the 15K.

DP2: I seem to be in the same boat as NTP9766...no matter what I try I always get told I have to call in to some special number. For the match on my latest card (same time frame as SO) I ended up using the directions up thread that actually led me to a page that allowed me to send an SM (Can't send them from the normal page.) I have not seen any response (online or snail mail) to that request.

9Benua Jan 8, 19 7:21 am

I applied using the code for 60k/3k spend, yet when I got the approval letter yesterday, it's for the 50k/3k spend. Is this the new normal now?

bigshooter Jan 8, 19 8:30 am

Originally Posted by 9Benua (Post 30626886)
I applied using the code for 60k/3k spend, yet when I got the approval letter yesterday, it's for the 50k/3k spend. Is this the new normal now?

Are you sure it said 60k/$3k, or did it just say 60k in big letters? All of mine show 60k as the offer, but in the description they have been 50k/3k + 10k/3k.

Happy Jan 8, 19 10:38 am

We need to collect DPs on the matches granted to the new 50K+10K offers.

Reading the past several pages, it seems the amounts ranging from 15K to 10K to 5K only. It also seems to depend on the amount of initial requests.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30593652-post3296.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30607844-post3333.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624425-post3376.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30622133-post3365.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30624876-post3381.html

My gut feeling is if you request a match to the 50+10, with only 15K, you would get it without drama as the reps could see the offer as a 60K. But if you are asking for a 20K based on the 50K, the outcomes have been either a 15K, 10K or worse, a 5K, probably being result of poor math done by the persons who granted the courtesy pts.
Given some of us also are confused by the 50+10 being 60K offer, it is entirely possible the Citi reps see those 50+10 being a 60K offer so only 15K max can be granted. We have not have a single positive DP on 20K asked, 20K granted.

RobertHanson Jan 8, 19 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 30624294)
I denied for an AA card about a month and a half after getting one. I wonder if it's cause they gave me such a huge limit on the one before..I have another mailer to try in Feb.

Best Policy:
Make the min spnd as quickly as possible.
Pay that off as soon as possible.
Then immediately lower the CL on the card to $2K.

Because, yes, if you are applying every 33 days, and allow the CLs to pile up, eventually Citi will be loathe to grant you more cards with additional CLs attached.