FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

84fiero Dec 20, 19 7:21 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31859528)
Because AA miles are worth less ... way less .... and getting more invested in the AA mileage game may be more for patsies who fail to consider the opportunity cost from not avoiding (further?) investment in the AA mileage game via AA credit cards?

I have not submitted an AA credit card for my AA account for at least quite some time and then some ;) , but any and all of the current AA card offers I receive are and will be trashed by me.

The ham-fisted way that AA has handled this, including not allowing anyone the chance for a rebuttal or anything (as they've apparently often, though not always, done with other account investigations) is a negative for me even if I'm not directly impacted. Not that dynamic award pricing, other AAdvantage changes the past few years, and other issues haven't already diminished AA miles' value and utility for me - this is just another brick in the wall.

slappychasez Dec 20, 19 7:28 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 31860078)
The ham-fisted way that AA has handled this, including not allowing anyone the chance for a rebuttal or anything (as they've apparently often, though not always, done with other account investigations) is a negative for me even if I'm not directly impacted. Not that dynamic award pricing, other AAdvantage changes the past few years, and other issues haven't already diminished AA miles' value and utility for me - this is just another brick in the wall.

Also in strong agreement here. I am canning AA and will no longer be flying them, for a variety of reasons. The question is now, UA or DL.

richarddd Dec 20, 19 7:32 am

AA is winning the PR war: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31860015-post428.html

egypteys Dec 20, 19 8:02 am

Since this last wave of closures has anyone (who hasnt been closed down) attempted to book an award flight, even a short/cheap one, just to see if it will go through or get cancelled?
Thank you.

egypteys Dec 20, 19 8:13 am

Originally Posted by slappychasez (Post 31860097)
Also in strong agreement here. I am canning AA and will no longer be flying them, for a variety of reasons. The question is now, UA or DL.

Is there a forum or even a way to churn DL CC's?

hurnik Dec 20, 19 8:27 am

Originally Posted by egypteys (Post 31860231)

Yes and No, IMO.
If you get a targetted offer (DoC routinely posts when the "waves" come out), they don't contain the lifetime restrictions. Personally I've never received one (you input your skymiles #, name, and I think something else and it tells you if you're eligible or not). Gee, amazing that they actually check/enforce (unlike apparently Citi).

Theoretically (I shouldn't say this it's been proven it works) if you wait 7 years (maybe over 7) you can get another DL Amex card (that you don't currently have) and get another SUB since apparently "lifetime" in Amex-land means like 7 years. Like: 8 years ago you had the Delta Amex Gold and cancelled it back then. 7.whatever years later you re-apply for Delta Amex Gold and can get the SUB.

Now, is that wise, given the current state of affairs? IMO, probably not. I don't think DL would get you, but Amex might (and claw back the miles and shutdown your Amex accounts). Although it would seem even in that case, DL probably keeps your account open (albeit minus some miles maybe).

humbled_thoughts Dec 20, 19 8:42 am

Originally Posted by egypteys (Post 31860231)

Yes there's a way to do so.

You're only restricted by Amex 5 credit card rule. That's how Amex protects DL from excessive churning.

84fiero Dec 20, 19 8:59 am

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 31860277)
Yes and No, IMO.
If you get a targetted offer (DoC routinely posts when the "waves" come out), they don't contain the lifetime restrictions. Personally I've never received one (you input your skymiles #, name, and I think something else and it tells you if you're eligible or not). Gee, amazing that they actually check/enforce (unlike apparently Citi).

Theoretically (I shouldn't say this it's been proven it works) if you wait 7 years (maybe over 7) you can get another DL Amex card (that you don't currently have) and get another SUB since apparently "lifetime" in Amex-land means like 7 years. Like: 8 years ago you had the Delta Amex Gold and cancelled it back then. 7.whatever years later you re-apply for Delta Amex Gold and can get the SUB.

Now, is that wise, given the current state of affairs? IMO, probably not. I don't think DL would get you, but Amex might (and claw back the miles and shutdown your Amex accounts). Although it would seem even in that case, DL probably keeps your account open (albeit minus some miles maybe).

Plus you have a number of cards earning Amex Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards, that transfer to DL and UA, respectively (a little more planning with Chase as you need to have certain cards open to do transfers to partners, but not hard to do). So plenty of earning opportunities for those two FFPs without even repeating any one card. Though there are other transfer partners for both MR and UR that may be more worthwhile than DL/UA to consider, depending on your situation and goals.

hurnik Dec 20, 19 9:05 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero (Post 31860386)
Plus you have a number of cards earning Amex Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards, that transfer to DL and UA, respectively (a little more planning with Chase as you need to have certain cards open to do transfers to partners, but not hard to do). So plenty of earning opportunities for those two FFPs without even repeating any one card. Though there are other transfer partners for both MR and UR that may be more worthwhile than DL/UA to consider, depending on your situation and goals.

Yes, totally forgot about MR. Although personally I'd rather use MR on other programs. Skypesos aren't a "good" return, IMO unless you want to fly domestic economy (I live at an airport where there's never any cheap Skymiles flights and their Flash deals are never out of my home aiport either.)

UR on the other hand, is easily churnable (I wouldn't chance any self-referral CIP at this point either), although with UA dynamic pricing, probably better off with other programs, BUT you get more UR on a SUB than UA MP for the same spend, IMO.

Good points about the MR/UR options. Always good to have flexibility, IMO.

walterj Dec 20, 19 3:13 pm

Anyone who needs to close their platinum cards, I recently had a few to close; I found that by calling later in the evening ca 10 pm EST, I have been getting the automated close account, no talking to a human.

mia Dec 20, 19 5:59 pm

Moderator action

Discussion continues here, for now:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...ec-2019-a.html