FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

gmt4 Jul 9, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by atomicfront (Post 31285102)
Who waits 24 months between apps. i have been doing one every couple of months.

RobertHanson Jul 9, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer (Post 31285026)

I’d be a lot more confident it’d be the second answer if they haven’t made so many changes to the applications lately. The 24 to 48 month restriction, the killing of the 75k match, etc

It really seems like the Citi Card division is going through all sorts of changes lately

Which of these is not like the others?
Cutting most of the benefits of the card
Not giving out "courtesy" bonus miles from an app
Removing SM from the website
Changing app exclusion from 24 months to 48 months
Not sending out mailers

Actually, they all seem to be of the same sort of change. If Citi were to start sending out mailers again, that would be the one that doesn't seem to fit...

Maybe Citi will send out updated mailers again, but I'm not holding my breath while I wait to find out. :p

RobertHanson Jul 9, 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by atomicfront (Post 31285091)
If they don't send out mailers or e-mails how are they going generate new customers? They can't advertise on the airplane or at the airport as only Barclay is going to do that. If they stopped sending out mailers I am sure American Airlines profits will fall dramatically. More likely the mailers will include the 24 or 48 month language when they come back. Or maybe tied to a name.

If the new "mailers include the 24 or 48 month language when they come back...I am sure American Airlines profits will fall dramatically"

Because AA has stated in their quarterly conference call that they lose money on tickets, and lose money on cargo, and only make a profit on sales of miles. And I can't imagine that many people actually buy miles when AA puts them on "sale". Most of the miles have to be sold to the banks, somewhat to cover miles from spend, but especially from sign up bonuses. So it may be that the reason we have been getting mailers is pressure from AA on the banks to buy more miles, and mailers that don't fit the official T/Cs of Citi bonuses would be the only way to take care of that. Still, following the reasoning of my previous post, I think Citi is at least intending to stop the mailers. What will happen when AA complains about their much lower purchase of miles is yet to be seen.

RobertHanson Jul 9, 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 31282873)
MO payment does not immediately increase the available credit limit once it has been a couple MOs payments already. Each MO payment is considered by Citi system as a NEW bank account, and if there are too many MO payments, then the update on the Payment Due would be delayed significantly, can be as long as 10 days. I learned about this at least 3 or 4 years ago when an account behaving like this - I ended up calling Citi and demanded to talk to a supervisor (no churning at the time). The supervisor explained the above, and manually overrode the system. Next round when similar things happened, I was no longer surprised and just let the system work its course.

You do know that even an MO being "cash out", i.e. thru the check clearing process, it can still be reversed by the bank, right? Citi system has this built in risk control mechanism that would hold the MO payment over certain period, BEFORE it is counted as you have paid, i.e. no longer owe. For as much MS to meet MSR you have claimed, it is surprising that you have not had such issue until now.

Just find a bank / credit union to deposit your MOs then pay either with a push or a pull method - never have any issue on such. Although with how things go now this may not be any need.

Appreciate that, but something else is going on. Looked at my online statement today, and the lower part that lists the charges and payments, resulting in a "running balance", is correct. It shows each charge and payment correctly, and shows a final balance of @$1K due. Then at the top of the page, it shows a "balance due" of $1,500. DW wife has the same thing, the running balance shows @ $3K spent, and @$3K paid, with no balance due. Then at the top of the page, there is the same "amount due" of $1,000.

At least my payments are posted correctly. I'm not going to call Citi at this point, I imagine sooner or later they will fix this on their own.

sethMCOflyer Jul 9, 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 31286001)
Which of these is not like the others?
Cutting most of the benefits of the card
Not giving out "courtesy" bonus miles from an app
Removing SM from the website
Changing app exclusion from 24 months to 48 months
Not sending out mailers

I guess I need to clarify, I don't think they'll send out mailers as they have been without any minimum time limit. I, and I think 99% of the rest of posters in this thread, could care less about mailers with restrictions on the bonus.

oneworld82 Jul 9, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi if anyone has a mailer to share please DM me!

audifan27 Jul 9, 2019 8:21 pm

Anyone know what time of day mailers expire? I’m going to be cutting it real close..

I have a mailer with a 5/15 expiration date and my 2nd to last application was on 5/14. 7/14 would put me at 61 days after my last application, but also 60 days after the printed expiration date on the mailer.

flyer4512 Jul 9, 2019 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by audifan27 (Post 31287392)
Anyone know what time of day mailers expire? I’m going to be cutting it real close..

I have a mailer with a 5/15 expiration date and my 2nd to last application was on 5/14. 7/14 would put me at 61 days after my last application, but also 60 days after the printed expiration date on the mailer.

My wife is using our last 5/15 mailer on 7/13. Her 2nd to last app was 5/4.

I guess you don't have much of a choice ( 61 days) but to wait until 7/15, GL

ninim2200 Jul 10, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by audifan27 (Post 31287392)

I don't believe the mailer will work past 7/14, you might have to take a shot at applying at 61 days, i have used 63 days countless times and it was fine, only few times i used 61 days but it has been a while since i have done that, i would personally try it and not let it go to waste.

ninim2200 Jul 10, 2019 5:51 am

Delete

gumercindo Jul 10, 2019 6:11 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 31288421)
I don't believe the mailer will work past 7/14, you might have to take a shot at applying at 61 days, i have used 63 days countless times and it was fine, only few times i used 61 days but it has been a while since i have done that, i would personally try it and not let it go to waste.

yeah, I wouldn’t risk it either.

ia there any arguemwnt to support applying on a weekend day vs Friday afternoon vs Monday morning?

MaxVO Jul 10, 2019 6:30 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31288544)

yeah, I wouldn’t risk it either.

ia there any arguemwnt to support applying on a weekend day vs Friday afternoon vs Monday morning?

Do not apply Sunday night, i.e. midnight to 10 am. Citi usually does computer maintenance during that time, and online features might misbehave. Outside of that window, weekend is fine.

Robl Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am

I discovered I had an oddly dated 5/2/19 mailer which didn't work of course. Just successfully used my last 5/15 mailer with instant approval. Now just 1 June 15 mailer left then will have to move on to business mailers.

LWT3 Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am

On the desirability of AA miles vs others, a WSJ article discussing AA's performance

This isn’t the first time the airline has struggled with on-time arrivals and cancellations compared with competitors. In the annual Middle Seat scorecard of airline operational performance, American has ranked last or next-to-last in 10 of the past 11 years.
Subscription required, but here is a link to the full article.

WSJ - AA

But even with poor performance, it's hard to argue with free.

bobert24 Jul 10, 2019 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 31289494)
Subscription required, but here is a link to the full article.

WSJ - AA

But even with poor performance, it's hard to argue with free.

Yeah, there are definitely other airlines whose miles I would like to have just as much if not more. We just have to figure out how to get their credit card partners to give us a few million of them.