FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

fredc84 Jun 28, 2019 6:20 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 31247663)
In my case I also get cards for my dad and there was a short period where I had closed all of his AA cards and the emailer showed up.

I'm talking maybe 6 weeks tops that he had no AA cards ( other citi cards that he uses often remained open) as he just got another AA card on 6/12 and the emailer showed up 6/6.

My only guess is Citi really wanted him to get a AA card again (lol) and I'm also guessing that he won't receive any more email offers now that he has a open AA card.

If people who made the fake extra accounts for mailers have access to the email address they used to set up the account perhaps there are some emailers waiting. In my case I don't remember what email addresses I gave for those accounts

UPDATE, closed my dads only open AA card 4/20, emailer arrived 6/6

The 2 folks who get mailers in our household have email accounts on gmx.com (free) that I check periodically. They get (have gotten) physical mailers but no emailers.

flyer4512 Jun 28, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by fredc84 (Post 31248465)
The 2 folks who get mailers in our household have email accounts on gmx.com (free) that I check periodically. They get (have gotten) physical mailers but no emailers.

Who knows how Citi thinks, maybe they send the emailers after people who had the AA card cancel their AA card or in the case here, all AA cards.

Of course maybe people with open AA cards are also getting the emailers, I just took a guess as to why my dad received his.

My dads emailer was in his spam box

calmasahinducow Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by GH83 (Post 31245196)
A lot of the tightening up by issuers is due to the economy performing well. Promotions became very generous during/after the financial crisis a decade ago. Another recession (inevitable someday) and I bet things will ease up again across the board (though for the record I am not rooting for another financial crisis!). Citi seems to have been the last holdout...

Yeah, this isn't going to happen. Same stupid logic that the people in /r/churning believe. It's pretty obvious that the banks have wisened up to the game and can easily identify customers that are not profitable. Going after unprofitable customers as a potential loss leader isn't something that will ever occur in consumer banking again due to the now widespread popularity of this hobby.

azcoyote Jun 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 31245074)
Last night I got an approval email on a new AA Platinum card. Only problem is, I hadn't applied for one. Then I realized the last 4 digits were from a card I had opened in March. But the email definitely said it was considered open as of "today, 6/26". I've already met the minimum spend and gotten the bonus on this card, so that doesn't quite seem accurate. This morning my wife got one for a card she had opened in May. It said open as of "today, 6/27."

Anybody else experiencing this new example of Citi's IT being great?

Y

catsfroggy1 Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey (Post 31247469)
how did you guys get email (no 24 mo language) AA offers to begin with?
is it only associated with recently-created AA accounts?

i don't know I created a new account and this is my second card I have gotten with e-mails with no 24 month language from that account.

venkallu Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm

I applied for SO yesterday and got the usual 7-10 day message with the applicationid and also an email. The weired thing I got an approval in the eveing and it had the last 4 digits of the previous card that she was approved last month but when I go to the application status page it still shows as still processing. Not sure what's going on. Will call Citi this weekend to check on the status.

audifan27 Jun 28, 2019 2:31 pm

I applied with a 9-digit email early on 6/26 and got the 7-10 day message. Usually I'll get a call the next day to verify some info and they approve the application. However, I haven't heard anything yet.

Should I call Citi to verify info or do I have to wait for them to contact me first?

Edit: I should’ve read the FAQ more carefully (step 7 under how mailers work). I called recon and they approved he application.

jiaogulan Jun 28, 2019 2:34 pm

Suggestion: isn't the number from Doctor of Credit as the Citi (personal) recon line way better?

Personal: 800-695-5171 8am-Midnight everyday

The one listed on the FAQ here is pretty goofy. Automated prompts that do not work properly. The one above puts you straight to a human, easy process. Just give them the app id and go.

mia Jun 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan (Post 31250013)
Suggestion....

Thank you. Please edit the Wiki to add this number, and mention how it differs from the other.

HolyTiger Jun 28, 2019 5:28 pm

P2 received the normal 7-10 day message Tuesday. Called in to do the normal phone verification but this time the rep said “your application is in the hands of our outbound underwriting department and they have not yet reached a decision on approval. Please check back in a few days.”

thats new to me

RobertHanson Jun 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by calmasahinducow (Post 31249558)
Yeah, this isn't going to happen. Same stupid logic that the people in /r/churning believe. It's pretty obvious that the banks have wisened up to the game and can easily identify customers that are not profitable. Going after unprofitable customers as a potential loss leader isn't something that will ever occur in consumer banking again due to the now widespread popularity of this hobby.

Yes and no. One department at Citi is concerned with P/L. But the marketing department is rewarded by how many new accounts they open. The former sets a once in 24 month policy. The latter send out mailers with no conditions. Its a tug of war, and up to now the marketing wing has been winning. Right now the P/L department seems to have the upper hand. Next week....?

RobertHanson Jun 28, 2019 7:12 pm

I don't think it's obvious at all. If you spent a total of $200 on ccs last year, but only have 2 ccs you got 5 years ago, Chase will give you 5 cards, assuming you time your apps properly.

But if you are a CEO of a major corporation, and spent a combined $500K last year on the 5 ccs you got in the past 23 months, they won't give you anything.

The first one is "profitable", and the second one is "not".

Seriously?
:rolleyes:

IkeEsq Jun 29, 2019 6:44 am

Common logic does not seem to apply to Citi. I have had as many as 5 or more identical cards. How is that logical? What bank would legitimately give you five identical cards at the same time? What logical explanation is there for having a 24-month rule and then printing millions of mailers that bypass that restriction and mailing them to people who have not had a card in the last 24 months and therefore do not need to bypass the rule?

The reasons for making such illogical decisions include lousy IT, laziness, and (as RobertHanson points out) competing incentives/priorities for different Citi departments. In addition, how Citi makes money may not be as obvious as "Customer A got 68,000 miles, which cost us $68 on this card and only spent $3000, generating $60 in transactions fees so s/he is unprofitable."

Back in 2011, when AA went from all miles counting to only BIS (butt-in-seat) miles counting, frequent paid-travelers acted very superior about how they earned their miles and people who got most of their miles through signup bonus didn't deserve the same perks because they were not as profitable, blah, blah. Turns out, airlines don't make money off flights, they make money off of frequent flier miles. Rental car companies don't make money off of rentals, they make money off of reselling cars. Costco does not make money off of selling stuff, they make money off of membership fees.

Citi needs certain metrics in order to maintain their profitable relationship with AA, which is one of the few travel partners with cards issued by different banks. I don't know exactly what they need to do, and I would guess that most of the people on this board do not either, we can merely speculate.

I doubt Citi has simply woken up suddenly. Over the past 3 years that mailers have been the only real way to churn Citi AA cards, they have made a number of adjustments and changes that seem to be geared toward managing the number of cards from mailers: Non-reusable mailers; MAC; and 'Fraud'-freezing, to name a few.

To me it is obvious that this across-the-board disappearance of mailers is not 'normal' or accidental. In the two years that I have been tracking all mailers we receive on two accounts, there has never been a gap longer than one month.

StartinSanDiego Jun 29, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 31251638)
Citi needs certain metrics in order to maintain their profitable relationship with AA, which is one of the few travel partners with cards issued by different banks. I don't know exactly what they need to do, and I would guess that most of the people on this board do not either, we can merely speculate.

I doubt Citi has simply woken up suddenly. Over the past 3 years that mailers have been the only real way to churn Citi AA cards, they have made a number of adjustments and changes that seem to be geared toward managing the number of cards from mailers: Non-reusable mailers; MAC; and 'Fraud'-freezing, to name a few.

To me it is obvious that this across-the-board disappearance of mailers is not 'normal' or accidental. In the two years that I have been tracking all mailers we receive on two accounts, there has never been a gap longer than one month.

There's been a shift in marketing, without a doubt. It does seem that the On Board AA miles card, pushed by FA's, is the Barclays. It used to be the Citi Cards, but now only Barclays.

A key component of Citi's marketing dept has been mailers, we've been getting them for more than a decade. There were the long ago days they filled the circular file (oh, the regrets I have, but that's another story...) More recently, the 12 digit mailers disappeared. One would think the 12 digit mailers would have completely replaced the 9 digit mailers, but, no, just the opposite happened. About 10 or so months ago, our mailers trailed off, and only one person in our household continued to get personal & business mailers until a few months ago, then, nothing. This person has actually flown AA recently and has no AA/Citibank credit card of any sort. We kept it that way when we noticed that he was the only one in the household getting mailers. I think the recent flight bookings kept him at the top of the marketing algorithms. Another household member, who has also flown AA recently, gets the very occasional business mailer (and holds AA personal cards). We haven't seen one of those in a while, either. Our mailers are all now either used or expired. The mailbox has no gifts for us. Emailed offers are 10K AA miles for the MileUp card only. Will it come to that? I hope not. Our drought is in full force. Maybe I need to send the kids on another AA flight just to see if they'll get mailers after that.

mia Jun 29, 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego (Post 31251820)
....On Board AA miles card, pushed by FA's, is the Barclays. It used to be the Citi Cards, but now only Barclays.

This reflects the contracts that AA agreed when they decided to keep both Barclays and Citi as co-brand card issuers. Each issuer has some reserved marketing territory where the other cannot intrude.