FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

mia Jul 7, 2019 6:23 pm

It's not so much that Citi cannot count, as that we do not know their formal rules. We infer "two months", but how many days is that, and when do they start the count? We don't know, so we round up to 65.

PresskittJon Jul 7, 2019 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 31279624)
Well, what they had in the 90s may have been quite good by 90s standards, but @25 years later, it's quite a mess. Citi can't count, so we have to go several extra days for our apps. You'd think a computer could at least count a small number of days.

Worse, for several years now, when I call the number on the back of my card, I'm asked "what are last 4 numbers on your card?". I say those numbers, and the computer says, "we're (sic, since there is no one there) having some trouble finding your account" and it asks for the 4 numbers again. Then "we're having some trouble finding your account, please say your entire card number", which then leads to "welcome Robert". I've told the CSRs that the computer can't find my account with the last 4 numbers, but nonetheless asks for them twice every single time, well over a year ago, but nothing has changed. :rolleyes:

Because you have fourteen accounts with the same last 4 numbers 😁

LWT3 Jul 7, 2019 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 31279624)

Worse, for several years now, when I call the number on the back of my card, I'm asked "what are last 4 numbers on your card?". I say those numbers, and the computer says, "we're (sic, since there is no one there) having some trouble finding your account" and it asks for the 4 numbers again. Then "we're having some trouble finding your account, please say your entire card number", which then leads to "welcome Robert".

This. After eleventy-seven cards, I don't recall a single time they've been able to locate my account using just the last four digits,but they continue to ask (twice) every single time.

Happy Jul 7, 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by michaelr (Post 31277839)
I have been doing several rounds of these as well. However, the 60k bonus did not post for me like it usually does from the round I did using a 5/15 code. The points for the spend did post without any issues. My wife applied on the same day and did not have this issue. My card went into pending status and after a call and verification was approved at the time.

What is shown on the statement? Is the 60K on the statement but not in your AA account or it is not in the statement at all?

wyogold Jul 7, 2019 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3 (Post 31279949)
This. After eleventy-seven cards, I don't recall a single time they've been able to locate my account using just the last four digits,but they continue to ask (twice) every single time.

My main gripe is that Citi is unable to handle big spending on new accounts because they cannot correlate to habits on existing accounts. Every new account has to be slowly ramped up even though they give me 20k credit line. Even when I call in and warn then they cannot handle it. All MS has to be gc.com, supermarket is totally impossible.

Compare that to Amex, never any problems, payment always comes through.

NTP9766 Jul 8, 2019 3:03 am

Originally Posted by wyogold (Post 31279972)
My main gripe is that Citi is unable to handle big spending on new accounts because they cannot correlate to habits on existing accounts. Every new account has to be slowly ramped up even though they give me 20k credit line. Even when I call in and warn then they cannot handle it. All MS has to be gc.com, supermarket is totally impossible.

Compare that to Amex, never any problems, payment always comes through.

Funny, I’ve had the opposite experience in the past. Twice I tried to use new cards for the first time at my normal grocery store only to have the cards locked due to the fraud alert. But if I buy a $2500 TV from some random website online, everything’s all good.

tscateh Jul 8, 2019 4:38 am

Had the same experience. Three large (legitimate) expenses came up to go on my newest AA Card; the online one went through fine. The in person one, however, was flagged for fraud. Really??? Auto Body repairs???

ahhlun Jul 8, 2019 4:43 am

Originally Posted by gbc9174 (Post 31224278)
Is there a business registered at your address? That seems to be the common link amongst people who get biz mailers.

How do i register a business at my address and how do i let Citi know that?

mia Jul 8, 2019 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ahhlun (Post 31280709)
How do i register a business ....

This will depend on the procedures in your municipality, county or state. You won't notify Citi, they will discover the registration in public records.

Robl Jul 8, 2019 11:07 am

My wife (retired) and my fictional relatives all get Biz mailers without ever having a business. Nobody knows what drives these mailers.

bobert24 Jul 8, 2019 11:20 am

FYI, there are no guarantees that this will bring mailers. I do have a business registered at my address (and have for years), but have never gotten a single Citi business mailer. Also be aware that most places require licensure at the city, county, and state level (and may require something with the IRS? I'm not sure about that one for sole proprietors). You'd almost certainly need to go as high as state to get Citi's attention, because I doubt they're communicating with every town/city in America about who opened a business that month.

Not in any way trying to discourage you. Just pointing out the reasons that some people who considered starting a business for business card churning purposes have decided not to. If anybody decides to do it, definitely let us know if it works.

gumercindo Jul 8, 2019 11:24 am

Originally Posted by tscateh (Post 31280698)
Had the same experience. Three large (legitimate) expenses came up to go on my newest AA Card; the online one went through fine. The in person one, however, was flagged for fraud. Really??? Auto Body repairs???

Weird. My MO is always: 1) make small purchase on card at grocery store, 2) pay mortgage with it via plastiq. Move onto the next card next month. I'm 15 cards in and haven't had one problem with this approach.

bobert24 Jul 8, 2019 11:39 am

Seems like there are lots of people who are convinced that Citi isn't sending any more mailers at all. As a reminder, it looks like absolutely no one (not just people who churn) has received a mailer since late April. Let me ask a question - which of the following is more likely:

1. Citi has made a major change to their customer acquisition model and completely abandoned a program (mailers) that has in the past proven to generate enough profit/ROI to be worth sending repeated offers to the same people over and over again, often multiple times per month. They've also cut off emailers, which cost them almost nothing to distribute.

2. Citi is following a pattern very similar to what they did last year, where they cut off mailers in late April, but will resume them later. I couldn't tell you why, but I bet there's a whole demand management department at Citi that could, and could provide all kinds of charts and metrics to show you why. Maybe they get fewer applications due to people being out of town, or they're reconfiguring their systems/offers for the coming year, or one of a hundred different reasons.

Citi didn't just randomly kill all mailers forever. That's a major part of their customer acquisition strategy. They will be back. Can we guarantee that when they do come back, they'll continue to bypass the 24-month restriction? Of course not. But based on past experience, that's what we should expect. But regardless, let's stop with the "Citi has abandoned mailers forever" talk. That really just makes no sense.

RobertHanson Jul 8, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by wyogold (Post 31279498)
I'm not sure Asian programmers can be blamed for the current state of the website. The removal of SM and forcing chat / phone call is likely a marketing decision to make cancelling etc harder. I don't know why Citicards.com doesn't work half the time, but LOALIA (log off and log in again) usually does the trick for me.

90's tech or not, Citi's IT has been in need of a major overhaul for years, - it seems to me they have a bunch of disparate systems that somehow manage to work together most of the time through the electronic equivalents of duct tape and tiewraps , and that any major changes are too likely to just completely F up this delicate balance to even bother trying. Of course, the longer this remains the case, the bigger the problem gets.

Citi is driving me crazy. On my most current AA card, which I'm still doing min spnd on, the website shows:
YTD activity: @$1,000
Purchases: @$500 X 3 (posted grocery GCc, not counting @$500 pending)
Payments: @$1,000
Amount due: @$1,000

If my total YTD is $1K, and I've paid $1K, nothing should be due. If my total purchases are @$1500, and my payments have totaled $1K, I should have $500 due. How can I have purchased $1500, paid $1K, and have $1K due? Unless they are including the $500 pending charge in the total due, even though pending charges are not supposed to be part of the amount due, because they may still drop off. But if they are including the pending charge, then the $1K due is correct, but the YTD is $2K, not $1K.

Citi has frequently been frustrating, but this is the first time I find them to be rather scary :eek: They have my account wrong $500 at one point, and $1K wrong at another. Making it worse, the payments were done with MOs. Yes, I have the receipts, but still, what a mess to prove I'm right and they are wrong, if they don't get it straightened out on their own.

ninim2200 Jul 8, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31281203)
This will depend on the procedures in your municipality, county or state. You won't notify Citi, they will discover the registration in public records.

I have a business registered at my address for over 12 years and never gotten any business mailer from Citi!