FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1954432-citi-aa-cards-targeted-offers-includes-mailers-emailers-matching.html)

Brituchenite Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by PresskittJon (Post 30637556)
This exact question is specifically asked and answered in the wiki

Apologies. For some reason I had in my mind that was for business card apps.
Thank you for putting me straight on that.

pkoo Jan 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 30631836)
What language did you use when asking? See post 3369.

I said that I applied and got approved for 40,000 bonus miles but that there was an offer for 60,000 bonus miles. I asked if I can "actually get 60,000 miles instead of the 40,000 that was given to me."

Tried to keep it as general as possible

BONDMI6 Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 30633178)
Oh, come on, like you've never bought $40K worth of candy at CVS. :)

Back in the day, CVS would let you buy $5K of Vanilla Visa gift cards per 24 hours. We would go in together and buy $5K each; so $10K a day. 24 hours later repeat that. Four days later we'd done our entire $10K per card min spnd, ($10K x 4 cards = $40K) and we'd get our 100K AA miles per card (400K total) deposited in our AA accounts as soon as the statement closed, which was often as little as a week after we got the cards in the mail. Then we'd deposit the $40K of GCs into Blue Bird, and later Redbird, (may they rest in peace), and use that to pay off the balance on the cards.

If you find that incredible, I might add that as soon as the miles showed up in the AA accounts, we'd cancel the cards, meaning we didn't need to even pay the very high AFs, since the cards were cancelled before the AFs were due. We did this over and over again, until Citi changed the rules, and eventually discontinued the card. But they never said a single bad word to us. In fact Citi is still to this day giving us more AA cards every 33 days

Those were the days.... :)

You are lucky that Citi has not been as aggresive as Amex. If you did this with Amex today, Amex would claw back your bonus miles, shut down those card accounts, and very likely close other accounts you have with them. You took a big risk and it paid off. Citi is much more relaxed than Amex towards customers that game their bonus offers, but this could change at any moment.

fredc84 Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo (Post 30637861)
I said that I applied and got approved for 40,000 bonus miles but that there was an offer for 60,000 bonus miles. I asked if I can "actually get 60,000 miles instead of the 40,000 that was given to me."

Tried to keep it as general as possible

Your request is a little vague, but it sounds like you are asking them to change your bonus from 40K to 60K...which they can't do. You can request a "courtesy" 20K to make up the difference...basically asking them to give you 20K miles.

RobertHanson Jan 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by BONDMI6 (Post 30638211)
You are lucky that Citi has not been as aggresive as Amex. If you did this with Amex today, Amex would claw back your bonus miles, shut down those card accounts, and very likely close other accounts you have with them. You took a big risk and it paid off. Citi is much more relaxed than Amex towards customers that game their bonus offers, but this could change at any moment.

Really? I had no idea.... :rolleyes:

Other than, of course, that it's right there in the AMEX app T/Cs, and no doubt the FT AMEX wiki as well. And if you think AMEX would react that way, just try it with Chase. (ie Don't try it with Chase !)

And I wasn't in the least "lucky". I waited a few months as others used that loophole, to see if Citi would come after them. When I basically got the "come on in, the water is fine" signal from folks that had already done it multiple times, and were somewhat critical of my having missed several chances at 200K miles for free, I decided to join the party.

"this could change at any moment"

Sure, in fact according to the AA T/Cs for (Dis)AAdvantage, they could cancel the entire program tomorrow, with no notice whatsoever. I greatly doubt they will, but legally they could. But many of us have been doing similar things for the past ten years at least, piling up humongous numbers of miles, with as I said not a whimper from Citi. Right now DW and I have a combined 2 Million AA miles in our accounts, despite going FC Anytime to Europe/Asia every Summer for the past 10 years. So what's your point anyway?

The fact that you bring up AMEX is especially amusing. I've been MSing both of our AMEX Surpass cards for a number of years, to the tune of around a combined $72K annually, with Visa GCs at grocery stores. That pays 6X HH points per $. Ends up costing me @$50 a night for HH properties that retail at 3 times that price. Plus full free breakfast in European properties just due to the card making me instant HH Gold. Quite the deal...

AMEX's response? They keep sending me targeted offers for Gold and Platinum cards, with full sign up bonuses, despite the fact that I've had these cards before. Last July I got another PRG card, with a 60K point sign up bonus, and no fee the first year. No 'once in a Lifetime' for me. And they keep trying to get me to do low interest rate balance transfers to my AMEX cards. (Which I ignore, since I have no need for balance transfers, even if they were at 0%.) Yes, AMEX and I are BFFs. :)

RobertHanson Jan 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 30635118)
Personally, I would forget about the second tier. Ask for a match to the 65k offer early, meet the first threshold, plan to retire the card. Apply for a new card with mailer code in time to put spend on that.

I've been wondering about this, since all of my new mailers are 50K + 10K offers. Essentially that's a 60K offer, so if you ask for a courtesy of 65K, all you get is 5K extra miles, and that's assuming you do the full $6K spend. So it seems I should ask for a courtesy bonus to 75K. I have no problem with doing the $6K spend, which only costs me $42 in extra fees for the 10K miles. But I would like to get the 15K extra free miles, since as others have said "this (gravy train) could end at any time". ;)

LWT3 Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm

If only there were some resource we could go to in order to find out what patterns work and don't work with different card issuers. That would be one fine resource indeed.

jedaero Jan 11, 2019 7:58 am

I have 3 Citi AA Plats as of now. Should I cancel or PC?

I got 1 AA card in June (large CL) - bonus received
1 AA in July 2018 (lowered CL to $2k) - bonus received
1 AA last month, Dec 2018 - working on MSR

Should I cancel my first 2 other cards?
- if so, when?
- can I cancel the cards within 30 days of the AF posting?

phant0m Jan 11, 2019 9:14 am

Just got my denial letter. Was correct, too much credit extended. As soon as I pay my card off, I'll lower it and apply for the next.

rjs11 Jan 11, 2019 11:03 am

Applied and approved today with a biz mailer for 75k AA miles after spending $5,000 in 3 months.

jiaogulan Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

FYI, I was chatting with the Chat Agent about my match, and at first he tried to push me to calling into the special department to inquire, but I pressed him and said other Chat Agents have processed the requests and I don't have time to call and he did it after that.

Carl Christensen Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm

No.

Just ... no. You are wrong.

speaking as someone who manages 5 people’s amex accounts and has done 150k+ easily in the last year across the 5 accounts for min spend and just plain spend and received 25+ sign up bonuses .... no.

tmiw Jan 11, 2019 5:56 pm

I just received a 60K/$3K email offer despite recently getting the card. Any experience in getting Citi to lower the minimum spend (I used a 60K/$4K code) to the latest offer? Or should I just focus on getting matched to 75K (haven't received a response to my SM, so may repeat the request in chat soon)?

Happy Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter (Post 30631673)
Why wait for a couple of months when in that time you could have at minimum 100k miles with 2x50k/$3k (best case 130k with match), and still apply for new cards after that time? Nothing guarantees mailers will continue, language isn't inserted to stop the churning madness, or offers could get worse.

I've used the 50k+10k mailers for my last three apps and met full spend. It's a little less convenient, but it's here now and I say take full advantage of it.

You got the offer in question mixed up. I am not talking about the 50K+10K. It is the 40K offer if you read the initial conversation about the other poster and I have gotten the crummy 40K mailer - the best outcome would only be 40+15 = 55K with the match due to the offer is 40+20.

The poster said he would not mind to spend the extra $6K in the next couple months to get the additional 20K... That I think the $6K could be better used for a better offer, hopefully the 50K mailer would come our ways! Why spend $6K to get 20K when additional, and hopefully better mailers will come later, that the same $6K spend could be used to meet the minimum spend of 2 new cards and 2 new bonuses?

Richard Berg Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Are you guys doing the 2nd half of the bonus? 13,000 AA miles for $3K spend seems borderline -- when you have a huge balance from this church, the value of a marginal mile is pretty low. Meanwhile, opportunity costs (basic cash-back cards) have risen now that BoA's at 2.625%.