Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by MultiplayerDreams
I have applied for and sucessfully met the 3k minimum spend on my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MC. I applied for the card on 11/24/2014. The card is paid off.

I'd like to apply for another one (maybe a business version). Can I do this? I have no other Citi cards.

Thanks.
Yes my understanding is that you can do it as long as its after 8 days from your first application.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:54 pm

Does the Citi AA Gold get the 10% Redemption bonus, just like the Platinum card does?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Thanks!

I just submitted an APP: I got:

"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!"

LOL
Hi,

Can you tell us which link you used? Top link without the explicit language, or newer links with the explicit churning restriction language?

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kip1124
Hi,

Can you tell us which link you used? Top link without the explicit language, or newer links with the explicit churning restriction language?

Thanks.
Yup, I used this one:
50K Offers WITH Explicit Churning Restrictions

Landing page for Personal MC offer for 50K after $2000 spend in 3 months, $95 fee waived first year. Links to application page. Note: Application page states that "American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months."
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
I assume by "elite" you mean the World Elite EXECUTIVE card. That is a totally different card from the ones on this thread. And that doesn't limit you from getting the "regular" MC anymore. That is indeed the way it used to be, and if you were to use the top links in the wiki, that would be true.

But the "new" links further down the wiki, the ones that say "with explicit churning restrictions", only limit having gotten Platinum cards. AFAIK having gotten an EXEC does not limit these new apps at all. Just don't use the link at the very top of the wiki, and you should be fine.
You are correct! Thumbs up!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by kip1124
To simplify these kinds of discussions in view of the current perplexity & uncertainty we face, I've edited the wiki to number all the Plat offers. May I suggest that future applicants note, for ease of reference, the number of the offer for which they apply?

Originally Posted by adschnei
Does the Citi AA Gold get the 10% Redemption bonus, just like the Platinum card does?
The answer (along with related discussion) is in the thread noted in the wiki above.

Last edited by beltway; Jan 23, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume by "elite" you mean the World Elite EXECUTIVE card.
I'm actually a little confused by this.

I have a Personal Plat AA card. There are references (in the wiki) to Personal Plat AA World Elite MCs. But my card only says World MC (not World Elite). When I go to citi.com, the Personal AA Plat card that you can apply for is World (not World Elite)

I could swear that I remember reading somewhere that the Personal Plat AA cards were being upgraded from World to World Elite. Am I not remembering that correctly?

The World Elite MC has pretty good benefits so I'd like one, if possible.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
I did not get this.
having a world elite executive card will restart the clock to block any personal AA card application in next 18 months.

I assume by "elite" you mean the World Elite EXECUTIVE card. That is a totally different card from the ones on this thread. And that doesn't limit you from getting the "regular" MC anymore. That is indeed the way it used to be, and if you were to use the top links in the wiki, that would be true.

But the "new" links further down the wiki, the ones that say "with explicit churning restrictions", only limit having gotten Platinum cards. AFAIK having gotten an EXEC does not limit these new apps at all. Just don't use the link at the very top of the wiki, and you should be fine.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by facehu
I did not get this.
having a world elite executive card will restart the clock to block any personal AA card application in next 18 months.
That does not seem to be true any more. At least, not for all personal AA links.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That does not seem to be true any more. At least, not for all personal AA links.
what vegas gambler said. I am proof. I just got a Plat MC card approved and opened up a Citi Elite Exec card ($450 AF) about 13 months ago.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, BA, HH
Got thanks
what vegas gambler said. I am proof. I just got a Plat MC card approved and opened up a Citi Elite Exec card ($450 AF) about 13 months ago.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:24 am

I'm actually a little confused by this.

I could swear that I remember reading somewhere that the Personal Plat AA cards were being upgraded from World to World Elite. Am I not remembering that correctly?
Your memory has not failed you. Citi did change some accounts from World "Platinum Select" to World "Elite Platinum".

World "Elite" Platinum and Executive World "Elite" are totally different products, however when the notifications went out everyone fixed in on "Elite" and it caused some confusion.

The wiki for the following thread explains it well;

Upgrade to World Elite Mastercard
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by traveler9020
Your memory has not failed you. Citi did change some accounts from World "Platinum Select" to World "Elite Platinum".

World "Elite" Platinum and Executive World "Elite" are totally different products, however when the notifications went out everyone fixed in on "Elite" and it caused some confusion.
To clarify further, the only thing that changed is the type of Mastercard (World -> World Elite), not the Citi AAdvantage product ("Platinum Select"). Mastercard throws in some extras on its "World Elite" cards, but no real difference from Citi/AA's perspective or benefits despite confused CSRs.

For those who care, what is now the "Platinum Select" card product has been issued as Amex, Visa, and MC cards at different times (like many AA cards). Based on various letters I have received over the last six months, Citi is doing some housekeeping on the branding of the product groups ("Bronze," "Gold," "Platinum Select," and "Executive") so that there is some unity across the cards regardless of issuers. For example, when I call AA about my Platinum Select Visa or MC, no mention is ever made about it being MC or Visa, just a "Platinum Select" card.

The Amex cards are a little more interesting. My 2012-vintage "Citi Select/AAdvantage" Amex card became a "Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select" Amex sometime in late 2014. I never understood the difference between the two, and clearly no one else did either because the "Citi Select/AAdvantage" brand is now toast according to the reduced awards page :

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ed_mileage.jsp

Using the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine on that same page, you can see that both gave access to the 7500-mile reduction on some redemptions. Finally, it appears that the former plain, no-Select Amex also has been rebranded to the "Gold" product family.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks!
I just got approved for 13.5k, I'll have to lower that as well. Im assuming that these platinum cards must not be like those visa signature cards that require 5k.
Actually, the only Visa or MC that requires $5K is the World Elite MC. Everything else, (including Signature cards), can be lowered all the way down to $1K.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:55 pm

First time post. Hope I'm doing it right.

Data point:
AA personal Visa 03/2012
AA Elite MC 02/2014
AA Elite MC 06/2014

Applied and approved for AA personal MC today using link 3 in WIKI.
Confirming I did not need 18 months from elite approval.
Confirmed 50,000 miles with CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.