Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Datapoint:

Approved today using link #3. Was not instant approval. Had to call it in (live chat) to ok lower credit line. Confirmed signup offer of 50k.

Recent AA cards:

AA Platinum Visa: opened 12/2012 closed 1/15/2015 (had my dates wrong from earlier post).
AA Exec (Elite): opened 2/2014, closed 1/21/2015.
AA Exec (Elite): opened 6/2014, still open.
AA Biz: opened 12/2014, still open.

Hope this info encourages more people to apply. Kudos to earlier posters who provided tips.

Will update post when spend is met and miles credited.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
Got my denial letter, the gist of it is, if you are applying for business and you have ever had a business card before, *DO NOT APPLY USING THE NEW LINKS*

This is not the "still open parent account problem", but new to the new links I think. Note I got "you must call in", not instant denial, so if you get a clueless CSR you might still get approved.

Full text:
Unfortunately, we can't approve your application
Thanks for your interest in the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard account. We reviewed your application and can't approve it because:

This specific offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate you previously had a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage account with us.

I will update wiki to indicate.
Am I correct that you only ever had one previous Business card? If so, this denial does not really tell us anything new, I don't think. People have been getting these kinds of denials for years on second Business cards (although I do not know the exact language on the letter.) Until someone who has been successfully churning Business cards is no longer able to, it is difficult to tell if anything has changed.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
I believe I've read that the rule is that neither Hilton cards nor business cards can be under the same account as AA or other Citi cards. So most people eventually end up with:
- A Hilton account
- A business account
- An AA/everything else account

It's really annoying.
Yup, that's what it's looking like. And if you had an AA Biz card that you've closed that login is now dead and cannot be reused.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
I believe I've read that the rule is that neither Hilton cards nor business cards can be under the same account as AA or other Citi cards. So most people eventually end up with:
- A Hilton account
- A business account
- An AA/everything else account

It's really annoying.
The above description is only partially correct. For details, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...nt-online.html and the wiki therein.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:58 am

Long before adding language about churning restriction, Citi had started denying bonus to new applicants who had or had recently closed another AAdvantage Platinum card. So the emphasis in wiki that some of the application links do not have the explicit churning restriction language might be misleading, as not having that language doesn't mean churning using those links would work. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:14 am

Baggage Fee waiver/Group 1 benefits

Does this sound correct to anyone: to get checked bag/Group 1 boarding benefits, you need to have the card before booking?

I.E., I booked a flight (its tomorrow) back in November on a diff. card, but applied/approved/activated the card early December. I'm told that those benefits apply regardless of how I PAID for the flight, but only if I had the card at the time of booking (at least 7 days prior).

This sounds weird to me - I have no prior experience with Citi/AA - been a Delta/Amex guy, and they just need you to have the account active when you check in to receive those benefits.

The Citi rep did offer a $50 statement credit for my troubles and to offset the checked baggage fees, but seemed curious, as I have other AA trips upcoming, but booked PRIOR to this card being active.

Last edited by levilevi; Jan 28, 2015 at 9:14 am Reason: added title
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Am I correct that you only ever had one previous Business card? ....
Right, only one business card previously. You may be right, but as long as the first set of links without the restrictive language still work it seems silly to use the new links for a repeat business application and to risk denial based on that factor. The letter seems oddly specific if it isn't caused by the new links, and I'd definitely like to see the full contents of a denial letter based on the old links for comparison.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Long before adding language about churning restriction, Citi had started denying bonus to new applicants who had or had recently closed another AAdvantage Platinum card. So the emphasis in wiki that some of the application links do not have the explicit churning restriction language might be misleading, as not having that language doesn't mean churning using those links would work. Am I missing something?
That is not my recollection at all.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou1
Long before adding language about churning restriction, Citi had started denying bonus to new applicants who had or had recently closed another AAdvantage Platinum card.
You have your facts (about the past) messed up.

First of all, Citi didn't deny bonuses, rather they denied the card itself (that had a bonus). Citi letting you get the card yet denying you the bonus is very new (IIRC, it started on the Exec card, not sure if it's spread wider yet or not).

Second of all, Citi didn't use to care about closing (of personal cards) at all until this recent language (and, in fact, it still hasn't been proven that they do care through datapoints, all we have is the language so far**). Citi, until recently, only cared about how long it had been since you had last opened any* AA non-Exec personal card (whether you still had it open or not was irrelevant).

*I am referring here to the rules as they existed for most of the last few years. There was a brief window of time a couple years ago where the rules were temporarily relaxed even further. And, of course, a decade ago it was a free-for-all with Citi AA cards.

** Citi language and reality have often not matched up before, so we are hesitant to conclude that the new language must be correct without any datapoints that test it.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:58 pm

Citi AA Gold + Platinum?

Has anybody been able to get the 25k bonus for the Citi AA Gold credit card after having the Plat? The only terms I see are: American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months.

Thoughts?

My friend is kinda desperate for some AA miles right now so this would help a lot if she can get this card.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Applied AA Visa August 2013, closed August 2014. Tried today using link 1, denied due to previously having the aadvantage card, link 3, denied, haven't checked reason yet.

Will try again I guess next March when 18 months is up.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
Applied AA Visa August 2013, closed August 2014. Tried today using link 1, denied due to previously having the aadvantage card, link 3, denied, haven't checked reason yet.

Do you mean you did both apps today? If so, the second app would be automatically denied. Citi will not approve more than 1 app in 8 days, and no more than 2 apps in 65 days. That includes denied apps just as much as approved apps.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
While true that link 1 has no written anti-churning language, it used to be true that if you had opened any kind of AA personal card in the past 12-26 months you would get denied.

So why use that link? The new links, while in fact having anti-churning language in them, do not apply to business cards, nor to the AMEX card. So in your case, I'd use one of the new links instead.
I am looking to apply for the CitiBusiness card. I have never had a business card with them before, but multiple Exec in the past year all closed last in Oct. I was going to use Link 1 with the understanding the past personal cards don't matter. I also want to try another Exec 8 days later...Do you think the new link is the way to go or should I try using the churnable one. I apologize if this seems simple, some things I just can't wrap my brain around...Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1

Originally Posted by Brugge
Do you mean you did both apps today? If so, the second app would be automatically denied. Citi will not approve more than 1 app in 8 days, and no more than 2 apps in 65 days. That includes denied apps just as much as approved apps.
Which means forget about trying again in March, flyerwanabe1. Until you start staying clear of the 8/65 rule, you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
I am looking to apply for the CitiBusiness card. I have never had a business card with them before, but multiple Exec in the past year all closed last in Oct. I was going to use Link 1 with the understanding the past personal cards don't matter. I also want to try another Exec 8 days later...Do you think the new link is the way to go or should I try using the churnable one. I apologize if this seems simple, some things I just can't wrap my brain around...Thanks
I would think that if you never had a Business card then Link #5 is the way to go. $2000 spend rather than $3000. Churnability only really matters on second and successive applications. Personal cards should have no effect on being able to get Business cards under any of the links.

Likewise, the Business card should have no effect on the Exec application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.