Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Some say get the 50K Execs while you still can since it's a zombie link and could go at any time while the #3 link is fairly new and expected to be around for awhile. But for me the timing worked great to go ahead with the new Platinum. Hopefully the zombie link for my fourth Exec will still be working in eight days.
Your situation is different, in that you had a M/C open, and had a high probability of canceling it soon. In which case you would no longer have qualified for #3. What you did was perfect. But do still call "to cancel", and hopefully they will transfer you to Retention. Just because you haven't been spending on the card doesn't mean they won't give you an offer. Neither my wife nor I had been spending on ours. They gave me a statement credit of $10 more than the AF, they didn't give her any offer at all. As everyone says, YMMV.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Did you use EIN or SSN?
Originally Posted by Superorb
SSN, though I do have a legit business which is my sole source of income. They did give me a pathetic $1,000 limit that I exceeded loading RB a few days ago since I forgot how low the limit actually was.
Thanks Superorb! I have a theory that suggests folks using SSN are able to churn the business card, while folks like me who used their EIN are unable to churn this card under any circumstances. I've tried three times since the original with no approval, and yes, before anyone asks, I've closed the original business card and account, waited the appropriate number of days, etc, etc, etc.

It's simple to use the term YMMV regarding business card approvals but this is flyertalk where we figure out what's really going on and computer programs don't randomly (YMMV) approve/deny. So let's see if we can prove/disprove this theory.

Has anyone without a doubt used their EIN and successfully churned the Citi AA Platinum Business card?

I'm thinking about guinea piggin' it one more time, but using my SSN this time. However it may be too late since I used my EIN to begin with. Let's figure this out with data points please!

Last edited by Ed Janowsky; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator request

If you are a regular reader of this thread, please share your ideas here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...scussions.html
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA
I apologize for what I assume to be a really idiotic question, but I am relatively new to churning--I've certainly gotten mileage bonuses from cards before but only with cards I intended to keep.

Is it safe to assume that if we are approved for a card after having applied for the card on a page that offers a mileage bonus, we will receive the mileage bonus after completing the appropriate spend? Or are there ever cases where the card is approved but the corresponding mileage bonus is not?

I ask because the mileage bonus is never mentioned in the confirmation emails I've gotten. And I had an experience last year where I signed up for a 50K Exec (a card I still use for AC access and other benefits) but was only granted 30K after spend, and no amount of arguing with Citi CSRs over the phone changed it. Because of that I'm always nervous about the mileage bonus offer corresponding to whatever I'm approved for.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
yay!
Got approved from Link 3 about 10 days ago. See several posts above.
Got approved from 25k Gold Card today.

So in total about 75k in AA rewards. I never had a gold card so I might as well since I probably wouldnt have been approved for a Citi plat since I just got approved for one 10 days ago.

Next stop is Citibusiness 50k on my 65th day.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
This raises an issue I've been thinking about ever since I reorganized the links last month: how to label the links. I used a basic numbering scheme to start, but as links die off this will either lead to weird gaps (like starting with 3, possibly skipping over other numbers as links in the middle die off) or the necessity of periodic renumbering. The latter is easy enough to do, but will make it hard to interpret earlier posts that used different numbers.
Renumber them to 3-digits, at any starting point (100 or higher, as leading 0's could be confusing) you wish. While people will be likely to be confused when only links 3 and above are shown, they're less likely to be confused when links 103 and above are shown.

Starting at 1 makes it seem like there should be a 1. Starting at a higher number implies you're assigning numbers to each link, not just numbering a list.

And that will allow for about 900 numbered links before you have to reuse a number.

If you want, you could add a prefix letter, like G for gold, P for plat, B for business. Or GM for gold MC, PV for plat Visa, BA for business Amex. (Though if there are landing page links that feature multiple types of cards, that could get a bit confusing.)

As for crossing out: I think that's useful short-term, ie, right now for links #1 and #2 which we think might (but might not) come back. When everyone's decided the link is really really dead, then you can just erase it (if you've applied a renumbering system like I suggest above).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:27 pm

Any change is confusing given that previous posts have referred to the current numbering system. And except for a desire for perfection at all costs, there is no reason to renumber. The wiki exists to help people churn, not to be a perfectly formatted document.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:33 pm

anyone try #8 for business card?

Now that #1-#2 are dead, the question is whether either of the other business card links is better than the other.

I notice that in #8, the "pricing and information" link leads to the following:
This offer is available only if the Business does not already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® and, within the previous 90 days, has not applied for or received a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®.
while the "Additional information" link says instead
This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card offer is not available to you if you already have a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card account. Additionally, this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account.
Of course these are quite different things. The first would explicitly allow churning of the business card every 90 days, as long as the previous one has been canceled; indeed this has been the experience of some but not all FT'ers although it was never explicitly stated before.

The question is which of the two conditions above actually applies to #8. I am hoping some brave soul who has previously had a business card (>90 days but not years ago) will try #8 and report back. I can't do it because it's not yet 90 days since my previous business card.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 2, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:12 pm

Initially applied for citi plat m/c with link #1and was denied for not being first time user. My last approval was 18 months ago. I guess I needed the full 24 months under that link.
I just now applied under link #3 and was approved after moving some credit over.
Confirmed 50,000 bonus after $2,000 spend.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Superorb
I applied for and was approved for link #8. I closed my last Biz card 10/2/13.
Here's your answer SeeBuyFly from only one page back.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:05 pm

Here's your answer SeeBuyFly from only one page back.
Yes and no. His last app was 16 months ago. In ~16 months even personal cards may be churnable. But I (and some others) have been successfully getting business cards every 3 months. The ability to continue this with the new links has not been fully tested.

Certainly it is possible that there is no change to business apps in practice, i.e. #5 and #8 behave exactly the same as way #1 (business) or #2.

Anyway, my 90 days are up in a few days and I will test it if no one else does.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA
Oof, just realized my Platinum approval has my first name spelled wrong. I imagine I should fix that before activating/completing spend so I don't create some weird record of myself as having an alias for future credit checks.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
<SNIP>
This raises an issue I've been thinking about ever since I reorganized the links last month: how to label the links. I used a basic numbering scheme to start, but as links die off this will either lead to weird gaps (like starting with 3, possibly skipping over other numbers as links in the middle die off) or the necessity of periodic renumbering. The latter is easy enough to do, but will make it hard to interpret earlier posts that used different numbers.
</SNIP>
FWIW, when I eliminate dead links I cross them out and put a date they were observed dead. I then go back in a week or so and if they are still dead I remove them from the Wiki.

I would continue to number up as otherwise it is difficult to tell what links people were talking about in the past. My guess is that within the next month, numbering will no longer matter as we will have figured out the new rules and the old links will be dead.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I apologize for what I assume to be a really idiotic question, but I am relatively new to churning--I've certainly gotten mileage bonuses from cards before but only with cards I intended to keep.

Is it safe to assume that if we are approved for a card after having applied for the card on a page that offers a mileage bonus, we will receive the mileage bonus after completing the appropriate spend? Or are there ever cases where the card is approved but the corresponding mileage bonus is not?

I ask because the mileage bonus is never mentioned in the confirmation emails I've gotten. And I had an experience last year where I signed up for a 50K Exec (a card I still use for AC access and other benefits) but was only granted 30K after spend, and no amount of arguing with Citi CSRs over the phone changed it. Because of that I'm always nervous about the mileage bonus offer corresponding to whatever I'm approved for.
Actually an excellent question. AMEX will definitely approve you for a second card. Their once in a Lifetime policy only applies to the bonus. They will happily give you another card, and let you do the spend and pay the AF, without bothering to tell you there is no way in (heck) they are going to give you any bonus at all.

Chase is another one. Chase is infamous for giving you another card, then sending you a letter a month or two later, saying Sorry, but you don't qualify for a bonus, you applied too soon.

And as you found out with the EXEC, Citi has changed it's long standing policy of denying apps that don't qualify for the advertised bonus. You got lucky to get 30K. Some people who applied thru the new EXEC app from a few months ago got a card, but their approval letter said nothing about a bonus. After spending the $5K they didn't get any bonus at all.

Reading the Wiki afresh each time before doing an app is absolutely essential.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
FWIW, when I eliminate dead links I cross them out and put a date they were observed dead. I then go back in a week or so and if they are still dead I remove them from the Wiki.

I would continue to number up as otherwise it is difficult to tell what links people were talking about in the past. My guess is that within the next month, numbering will no longer matter as we will have figured out the new rules and the old links will be dead.
If doing that, for clarity, once one or more links are removed, I would suggest keeping a list somewhere in the wiki of which link numbers are now dead (For example: "Links now dead: 82-86, 94, 97-100".) That way if someone reads a post that mentions a dead link, it'll clear that the link is dead rather than accidentally missing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.