Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diclemeg
BRUGGE.... thanks for info.... question....if i have to wait til aug 11, how on earth did the above person get accepted for both cards?????
Because the other person was starting from scratch (not having either card previously), but you're not.

Now, if you haven't had the Gold card previously, you can presumably apply for the Gold card (with the smaller bonus) today.

But since you (contrary to the recommendations here) closed your previous Plat card before applying for a new one, per the language of the new Plat application landing page, you have to wait 18 months from the time you last either opened or close a Plat card befoer you can apply for another Plat card. Aug 11 is 18 months from the date you closed that Plat card, isn't it?

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 9, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diclemeg
I did read the relevant wiki... and it says that the Exec card has a $ 450 annual fee. I'd thus prefer the Gold for 25,000 and no fee. Or is there an Exec card that waives the $ 450 fee that I'm not aware of ?
No, there's just a technique some people use for avoiding the $450 fee, but (putting aside any ethics questions already discussed above), assuming you don't have high "natural" spend per month, you have to be experienced at very fast MSing to pull it off, as there's tight timing involved, while there's quite a high spend requirement to get the bonus points.

(Ie, the Exec card bonus terms say you have 3 months to do the minimum spend, but if you take anywhere near that long, you won't be able to avoid the $450 fee.)

Avoiding that fee (while earning the signup bonus) can be complex timing for someone inexperienced at such things, which is one reason why there's a separate thread about that card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ost-first.html

Please post in that thread if you have more questions about avoiding the Exec card annual fee or any other questions about the Exec card.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Brugge
One card was the Plat M/C, the other one was a Gold card. For awhile Citi considered all cards other than the EXEC as the "same" card for purposes of applying. Now Citi once again treats the Gold, Plat, and EXEC, as different cards, and an app for one does not affect an app for another. (Other than the 8/65 rule).

The OP didn't say, but I assume they either have never had a Plat M/C before, or else it has been more than 18 months since they opened or closed one. But since you closed one a while back, you do need to wait the full 18 months from then.

I personally wouldn't apply for a Gold card right now, since the sign up bonus is only 25K. The zombie link for the 50K EXEC card may well be on life support, but it's still works. In fact I used it a half hour ago for an instant approval. If you can meet the min spnd, I'd go for that instead of the Gold, since I'm assuming the Gold offer will be around for much longer than the EXEC zombie link. In my case, a few visits to Target, and the min spnd is taken care of.
Success for 'Brugge method':

Me:
-reduced credit lines on several citi cards in the last few weeks

Current citi cards:
-Hilton Visa
-Exec 100k from March 2014 that I kept open
-AA Business 50k
-Hilton Reserve
-some junk no fee citi cards

Link 3 application page via incognito window
Instant approval 16k

15 HP in 12 months (4 citi), 12 HP in 6 months. So much for # of HP greater than 6 bothering citi.

Wife:
Not success! Forgot to reduce credit lines and required phone call before approval.

Current citi cards:
-Hilton Visa
-AA Business 50k
-Hilton Reserve
-some junk no fee citi cards

Ref # with message to call and provide info for immediate approval
Offered low CL of 2500 (although that would be fine to meet 2k spend) and transferred some balance from an old card to reach 7k.

15 HP in 12 months (4 citi), 12 HP in 6 months. So much for # of HP greater than 6 bothering citi.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Since I have a citi exec good through the end of 3/2015 with Admirals club access on it already, didn't feel a need to use it. Would rather do the 2k spend for 50k as opposed to 5k spend for 50k. We have flights in March and will have club access covered by that. By the time next flights for May come around I will cancel old exec, churn a new Exec card for admirals club 3 weeks prior to flights so we get club access.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Plus, we are going to redeem 125,000 AA miles within the next month for 1st class to Tahiti and since we didn't have the plat select yet I wanted to get it to get the 10% redemption bonus to get 10k miles redeposited back.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:31 pm

I have added the latest Platinum Select MC "50K after $3k spend in 3 months" offer received in snail mail to the wiki as #9. As always, enjoy!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Day 0 - Link #3 or #4, Personal MC 50K.

Day 8+ - Link #5 Business card 50K.

Day 65+ - OTHER PERSONAL CARDS - 25K Miles $750 Spend Gold MC

Day 103+ - Link #5 Business card (maybe, not sure if this is still churnable).

125K-175K plus spend miles.
Thanks a lot
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:41 pm

For those care, my anti-virus software detected a malware threat on the landing page for link #5 (Landing page for Business MC offer for 50K after $2000 spend in 3 months, $95 fee waived first year. Links to application page.)
I'd recommend by-passing this link and simply visiting citi.com directly and applying for the same offer there. Until the mods fix this issue, here's a safe place to see the offers: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...ds/CitiHome.do
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by PirateHooker
For those care, my anti-virus software detected a malware threat on the landing page for link #5 (Landing page for Business MC offer for 50K after $2000 spend in 3 months, $95 fee waived first year. Links to application page.) I'd recommend by-passing this link...
I'd recommend changing your anti-virus software.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 am

I think I ran into a problem due to carelessness. I applied for, and received, an Exec card. They gave me a huge credit line, and I already have a Citi platinum card also with a huge credit line.

Eight days after the Exec card, I applied for a business card. There is no problem with 8/65/95/etc, but the business card app is in limbo; they are not approving it or declining it. It's been 6 days and it's still pending.

I think the problem is with having too much personal credit. I should have lowered the exec card credit line as soon as I got it. I know I can call and move credit around if that's the problem, but I absolutely hate to call. Is there any way to SM regarding a pending app, or any other method of clearing this logjam?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: DL, Amex MR
If I understand the wiki correctly, the new Explicit Churning Restrictions are just for the specific card mentioned?

So previously, one had to wait the 12-26 months to get another Citi AA card (Gold or Platinum).

So if I only have or had Executive cards in the past, I should be able to get a Platinum card with the new language since it only mentions whether one had a Platinum opened or closed in the last 18 months?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I'd recommend changing your anti-virus software.
McAffee gives me a warning every time a get an email from the US Air Dividend Miles program. I've been opening those for years with no problem. Some anti-virus programs have things they look for that are utterly harmless.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Success for 'Brugge method':
Me:-reduced credit lines on several citi cards in the last few weeks

Instant approval 16k

Wife:
Not success! Forgot to reduce credit lines and required phone call before approval..
Congratulations, I'm glad it worked for you. Same thing just happened for us. We both just applied for another EXEC card yesterday. My CLs have all been lowered, and I got an instant approval. My DW forgot to lower her huge CL with her Citi HH Res card, and she got a "app received, we'll let you know in a week" response. Not even an app ID. She called in, was put on hold, and eventually approved with a $12K CL. She's definitely lowering both of those CLs before her next app.

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
15 HP in 12 months (4 citi), 12 HP in 6 months. So much for # of HP greater than 6 bothering citi..
Again, I'm glad that worked for you. But I don't want everyone to think they can just ignore HPs, especially with Citi. Last May I got turned down by Citi for the first time ever in over a decade of Citi apps, with 11 HPs in 6 months. Other people without such a long history with Citi have indeed been denied with only 6 HPs in 6 months. This is most certainly a YMMV situation, and people with either a thin credit history, or a short history with Citi itself, need to be careful about applying, starting at the 6/6 point. The longer your history with Citi, the more you can push it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by satz
If I understand the wiki correctly, the new Explicit Churning Restrictions are just for the specific card mentioned?

So previously, one had to wait the 12-26 months to get another Citi AA card (Gold or Platinum).

So if I only have or had Executive cards in the past, I should be able to get a Platinum card with the new language since it only mentions whether one had a Platinum opened or closed in the last 18 months?
Exactly, using the new apps in the wiki, and following the 8/65 guidelines, you are good to go to apply for a Plat M/C, and a Gold card, and a Business card. And of course, another EXEC card with the #2 link from the EXEC thread.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by kalia960
I think I ran into a problem due to carelessness. I applied for, and received, an Exec card. They gave me a huge credit line, and I already have a Citi platinum card also with a huge credit line.

Eight days after the Exec card, I applied for a business card. There is no problem with 8/65/95/etc, but the business card app is in limbo; they are not approving it or declining it. It's been 6 days and it's still pending.

I think the problem is with having too much personal credit. I should have lowered the exec card credit line as soon as I got it. I know I can call and move credit around if that's the problem, but I absolutely hate to call. Is there any way to SM regarding a pending app, or any other method of clearing this logjam?
Call them. I've found that I've had to call in for every Biz card I've applied for from Amex, Citi, and Chase. But FWIW, they can not pull credit from your personal cards, so that may be a limiting factor if you're up against the max exposure Citi is willing to extend to you at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.