Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
A few months ago I applied for the Platinum card and got denied. The reasoning was because I already had an Executive account open (opened April 15th ish). I wanted some of the other benefits of the Platinum card.

It appears that there is now a "churn able" version of the card, meaning I should be able to apply for this one right?

I am throwing the Executive out the door if I don't get a good retention offer, mainly because I won't use the lounges much next year, but would still like to earn AA miles. Just wondering if I need to MS a lot in the next 4 months haha.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by eknock007
Datapoint:
Approved today using link #3. Was not instant approval. Had to call it in (live chat) to ok lower credit line. Confirmed signup offer of 50k.
Congrtulations! ^

Any thoughts on why you used link #3 instead of #1, #2, #4 or #6?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AJCU
A few months ago I applied for the Platinum card and got denied. The reasoning was because I already had an Executive account open (opened April 15th ish). I wanted some of the other benefits of the Platinum card.

It appears that there is now a "churn able" version of the card, meaning I should be able to apply for this one right?

I am throwing the Executive out the door if I don't get a good retention offer, mainly because I won't use the lounges much next year, but would still like to earn AA miles. Just wondering if I need to MS a lot in the next 4 months haha.
The denial isn't a problem now. If you haven't had a Plat Visa or MC approved in the past 18 months, the new links for a Plat MC should be fine to use. Since you have recently had the EXEC, the original link might still get a denial. I'd use app #3, and maybe also the new Gold app. And if you don't have it the Barclays US Air card, 50K that will soon be turned into AA miles. Get all 3 and you won't have to MS so much if you don't want to. Then again, if you have a RB (or several) the MSing isn't that much of a chore anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maddie5218
Has anybody been able to get the 25k bonus for the Citi AA Gold credit card after having the Plat? The only terms I see are: American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months.

Thoughts?

My friend is kinda desperate for some AA miles right now so this would help a lot if she can get this card.
With the right link (that only mentions the Gold), yes, if you read back over the last few pages of this thread (that your post has now been moved into), you'll find an example or two of that. Just be sure you follow the Citi 8/65 rules for card application timing, as those always apply (in addtion to any card-specific rules).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:36 pm

I applied Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard 50,000 miles using the wiki link, and was reject for this reason:

We can't approve your application
Thanks for your interest in the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard account. We reviewed your application and can't approve it because:

• This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a Citi® / AAdvantage® account with us.

Did I make a stupid mistake? Can I ask to be considered for other citi credit? Please advise. Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by zhuyinghua1203
Our records indicate that you previously had a Citi® / AAdvantage® account with us.

Did I make a stupid mistake? Can I ask to be considered for other citi credit? Please advise. Thanks.
Well, did you previously have a personal AA card? If so, which exact type of card, when did you apply for it, if canceled when did you cancel it? And exactly which application link did you use for this denied app?

Without knowing the above it's difficult to give you much advice.

I can say that Citi will not approve an app for any kind of Citi cc within 8 days of the denied app. And if you have applied for any kind of Citi cc, other than this recently denied one, within the last 65 days, they will not approve an app for any type of Citi cc until 65 days after that former app.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
The denial isn't a problem now. If you haven't had a Plat Visa or MC approved in the past 18 months, the new links for a Plat MC should be fine to use. Since you have recently had the EXEC, the original link might still get a denial. I'd use app #3, and maybe also the new Gold app. And if you don't have it the Barclays US Air card, 50K that will soon be turned into AA miles. Get all 3 and you won't have to MS so much if you don't want to. Then again, if you have a RB (or several) the MSing isn't that much of a chore anyway.
I wanted the US card from Barclays, but got denied because of too many inquiries lately. When I did the app, I have 5 inquiries over the past year with a 780 CS. The people over in US forum thought it was interesting, especially since I have no Barclay's cards. They aren't seeing any business for me until they make something worthwhile.

Thanks for the info though!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA
I read the whole Wiki but I'm still not sure if I'm in the clear here.

My situation is this:
- Approved for Exec last July
- Canceled two Gold cards last August
- Approved for Platinum Business on January 20, 2015

I think I'm out of luck for a new Platinum Personal 50K, but I can't quite tell if it's because of my Exec approval (based on Wiki it it seems like Exec before Plat is bad), or my Gold cancellations--or both. It seems like the Platinum Business shouldn't affect it either way?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
I read the whole Wiki but I'm still not sure if I'm in the clear here.

My situation is this:
- Approved for Exec last July
- Canceled two Gold cards last August
- Approved for Platinum Business on January 20, 2015

I think I'm out of luck for a new Platinum Personal 50K, but I can't quite tell if it's because of my Exec approval (based on Wiki it it seems like Exec before Plat is bad), or my Gold cancellations--or both. It seems like the Platinum Business shouldn't affect it either way?
Having an EXEC is not a problem for the new apps for the Plat (#3) at all. The wiki warnings apply to the original app (#1). And yes the Bus card will not affect the personal app.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:53 pm

Having an EXEC is not a problem for the new apps for the Plat (#3) at all. The wiki warnings apply to the original app (#1). And yes the Bus card will not affect the personal app.
Alright, well I just got instantly approved for a Platinum personal, hopefully I get confirmation of bonus offer. There was no language about bonus offer on the instant approval page, but I assume that's normal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Alright, well I just got instantly approved for a Platinum personal, hopefully I get confirmation of bonus offer. There was no language about bonus offer on the instant approval page, but I assume that's normal.
^

Yes, that's normal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 4:06 pm

^

Yes, that's normal.
Great, hope to receive confirmation by mail. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:35 pm

I'm confused. You said the wiki warning applies to link #1, however I thought being denied for having recent Exec cards was a problem with the new links and the old link (#1) was ok to use since it had no specific churning restrictions.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Since when have these cards become churnable again? I'm a bit confused ?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

Quick question regarding the 8 day rule- I was approved for a pers Plat on 1/21 (via online chat with Citi, etc). However, I received the confirming materials via email on 1/26. Does this mean I must wait until 1/26+8 to apply for the Biz Card or should the approval date in their system show 1/21?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.