Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by rapishorrid
That and their ability to ignore the 18 month rule make targeted offers from Citi pretty valuable.
Yeah, if that's true it would be great. I've never received a Citi target offer though, is there any way to increase my chances?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I opened an AA Plat July 2013, AA Exec April 2014, and another AA Exec May 2014. Can I possibly open an AA Plat now? MY last Citi app was a couple weeks ago, so I'm fine on the Citi time restrictions.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is your Plat from July 2013 still open?

If it is, it depends on how you interpret the terms from the new links.

My interpretation is, yes, you can open a new one. If you try, please report back your results (and make sure that you are actually a full 18 months after your last application -- not a few days short of 18 months. If you're not sure of your July 2013 date, wait til Feb)

You should be able to open an AA Gold as well (using the new links)
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:48 pm

I had an executive card last year and I just applied for the 50K platinum card and the app only stated that I could not have had a citi platinum open or closed in the last 18 months. It mentioned nothing about the citi exec. However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.

Any advice on what I should write to the executive review department to have this overturned? Anyone who has had luck writing a letter to exec review department please let me know what to write. Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rocklline
I had an executive card last year and I just applied for the 50K platinum card and the app only stated that I could not have had a citi platinum open or closed in the last 18 months. It mentioned nothing about the citi exec. However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.

Any advice on what I should write to the executive review department to have this overturned? Anyone who has had luck writing a letter to exec review department please let me know what to write. Thanks.
From other posts in this thread, I think you are SOL if you are not auto-approved. Writing a letter is not going to help you.

In other words, the compuer will not reject you for having another AA card (unless it was a plat) but a person will. So you need to get yourself into a position where you will be auto-approved. I had no trouble getting the gold a month after the plat, but I was auto-approved -- a person never looked at it. Had a person looked at it, I assume I would have been rejected.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:09 pm

Quick question please...I had 5 exec cards last year, the last was closed in October. If I want to apply for another and also the 50k business card for the first time, does it matter which one I apply for first. I realize I need to space them by 8 days, just wondering if the order mattered at all...Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

My interpretation is, yes, you can open a new one. If you try, please report back your results (and make sure that you are actually a full 18 months after your last application -- not a few days short of 18 months. If you're not sure of your July 2013 date, wait til Feb)

My AA Plat is still open, the second AA Exec I opened was closed months after opening.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
My AA Plat is still open, the second AA Exec I opened was closed months after opening.
Some people interpret the T&C to mean that you can't get another Plat AA until 18 months after your last Plat AA is closed.

I take the more plain english interpretation that you can't get another Plat AA within 18 months of the act of opening or closing a Plat AA. So as long as you don't close it before you apply, you should be fine.

My interpretation sounds illogical, but I can totally see Citi doing this. If you decide to try, please report back. At this point no one can say for sure what will or won't work since the rules seem to have just changed (or be in the process of changing). We can only make our best guesses.

I also think that you can only be approved if you are auto-approved. It seems that the recon CSRs are declining people who have a current or recently closed AA card of any type. This does not match the auto-approval rules.

The only problem with this approach is that if you are not auto-approved, we will not know for sure that this is the reason. It could be another reason, like too high aggregate CL with Citi. Were you auto-approved for your previous Citi cards or did you have to go through recon? If you were not being auto-approved before, I would not bother trying now.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Just applied for the personal 50k "without churning limit" link in the wiki. Receiving a pending notification but was given the various card options at the end, which IME is a good sign with Citi. Had to do this for my last Citi card as well so I might start reducing CLs or closing accounts.

I did reduce my Citi CLs by about $10k yesterday through SM.

Called in immediately and was approved for a $1000 CL but the agent offered to shift some credit over from another card.

Previous Citi cards:
  • AA Platinum Personal, opened July 2013
  • AA Platinum Personal MC, opened August 2013
  • AA Business MC, opened Jan 2014, closed September 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened Feb 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened June 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened July 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened 10 days ago

Cards still open unless specified.

I was right on the cusp of 18 months so I'm not really sure if we learned anything.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rocklline
However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.
Were you instantly auto-rejected by the computer? Or did the app go to pending, and then to rejection? Or did the app either go to "we'll let you know" or request you to call in, and was then rejected by the Recon CSR?

If you got an instant auto-rejection, then VegasGambler's reasoning is wrong. If you had to wait for a CSR to review your app, he might be correct.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
Were you instantly auto-rejected by the computer? Or did the app go to pending, and then to rejection? Or did the app either go to "we'll let you know" or request you to call in, and was then rejected by the Recon CSR?

If you got an instant auto-rejection, then VegasGambler's reasoning is wrong. If you had to wait for a CSR to review your app, he might be correct.
Are the only reasons for instant auto-rejection too many apps (8 day / 65 day rule) or already having the card? Can't you also be auto-rejected for having too much aggregate CL with them, or too low of a credit score, or too low of a reported income? Or will those reasons always go through CSR review?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:02 am

Last year getting the Exec card reset the clock for Plat applications. Is that no longer the case? I hate being in flux... But I just applied for a few cards so I'm good for the time being while things are sussed out.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
Last year getting the Exec card reset the clock for Plat applications. Is that no longer the case? I hate being in flux... But I just applied for a few cards so I'm good for the time being while things are sussed out.
That seems to be certainly no longer the case. They changed the wording in the terms, and, when I noticed this change, I applied for and received a Gold just a month after the Plat. with last year's rules that would not have been possible, so I am confident that that rule has changed.

There are still some applications that contain the old wording, but with the "new" links this should be fine. The only question is how to interpret "have not had a Plat card opened or closed in the last 18 months". Once some people apply and report their results, we should be able to figure it out.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by ctdohert2
Quick question please...I had 5 exec cards last year, the last was closed in October. If I want to apply for another and also the 50k business card for the first time, does it matter which one I apply for first. I realize I need to space them by 8 days, just wondering if the order mattered at all...Thanks
It should make no real difference. Just make sure you use the churnable Exec link. Personally I would go for Business first just because it has a 90 (95) day min churn, while the Execs have a 7 (8) or 60 (65) day min churn.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:53 am

Are the only reasons for instant auto-rejection too many apps (8 day / 65 day rule) or already having the card? Can't you also be auto-rejected for having too much aggregate CL with them, or too low of a credit score, or too low of a reported income? Or will those reasons always go through CSR review?
You do not ever (AFAIK) get auto-rejected for too much existing credit line. That is the nice thing about Citi, if you have too much you get deferred and you suggest moving credit line around or they do.

I have only ever gotten auto-rejected for breaking the application time rules. It is probably possible to get auto-rejected for having a lousy (really lousy) credit score---but that is somewhere south of 650---or low income, no credit history, etc.

It is also possible to get auto-rejected for being on their black-list, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.