Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 15, 2:57 pm
  #226  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by rapishorrid View Post
That and their ability to ignore the 18 month rule make targeted offers from Citi pretty valuable.
Yeah, if that's true it would be great. I've never received a Citi target offer though, is there any way to increase my chances?
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 2:59 pm
  #227  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,179
I opened an AA Plat July 2013, AA Exec April 2014, and another AA Exec May 2014. Can I possibly open an AA Plat now? MY last Citi app was a couple weeks ago, so I'm fine on the Citi time restrictions.
hiima is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 3:53 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,348
Is your Plat from July 2013 still open?

If it is, it depends on how you interpret the terms from the new links.

My interpretation is, yes, you can open a new one. If you try, please report back your results (and make sure that you are actually a full 18 months after your last application -- not a few days short of 18 months. If you're not sure of your July 2013 date, wait til Feb)

You should be able to open an AA Gold as well (using the new links)
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 5:48 pm
  #229  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 42
I had an executive card last year and I just applied for the 50K platinum card and the app only stated that I could not have had a citi platinum open or closed in the last 18 months. It mentioned nothing about the citi exec. However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.

Any advice on what I should write to the executive review department to have this overturned? Anyone who has had luck writing a letter to exec review department please let me know what to write. Thanks.
rocklline is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 5:57 pm
  #230  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by rocklline View Post
I had an executive card last year and I just applied for the 50K platinum card and the app only stated that I could not have had a citi platinum open or closed in the last 18 months. It mentioned nothing about the citi exec. However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.

Any advice on what I should write to the executive review department to have this overturned? Anyone who has had luck writing a letter to exec review department please let me know what to write. Thanks.
From other posts in this thread, I think you are SOL if you are not auto-approved. Writing a letter is not going to help you.

In other words, the compuer will not reject you for having another AA card (unless it was a plat) but a person will. So you need to get yourself into a position where you will be auto-approved. I had no trouble getting the gold a month after the plat, but I was auto-approved -- a person never looked at it. Had a person looked at it, I assume I would have been rejected.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:09 pm
  #231  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Quick question please...I had 5 exec cards last year, the last was closed in October. If I want to apply for another and also the 50k business card for the first time, does it matter which one I apply for first. I realize I need to space them by 8 days, just wondering if the order mattered at all...Thanks
ctdohert2 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:25 pm
  #232  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: LAX, LGB, SNA
Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Posts: 3,179
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Is your Plat from July 2013 still open?

If it is, it depends on how you interpret the terms from the new links.

My interpretation is, yes, you can open a new one. If you try, please report back your results (and make sure that you are actually a full 18 months after your last application -- not a few days short of 18 months. If you're not sure of your July 2013 date, wait til Feb)

You should be able to open an AA Gold as well (using the new links)
My AA Plat is still open, the second AA Exec I opened was closed months after opening.
hiima is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:32 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by hiima View Post
My AA Plat is still open, the second AA Exec I opened was closed months after opening.
Some people interpret the T&C to mean that you can't get another Plat AA until 18 months after your last Plat AA is closed.

I take the more plain english interpretation that you can't get another Plat AA within 18 months of the act of opening or closing a Plat AA. So as long as you don't close it before you apply, you should be fine.

My interpretation sounds illogical, but I can totally see Citi doing this. If you decide to try, please report back. At this point no one can say for sure what will or won't work since the rules seem to have just changed (or be in the process of changing). We can only make our best guesses.

I also think that you can only be approved if you are auto-approved. It seems that the recon CSRs are declining people who have a current or recently closed AA card of any type. This does not match the auto-approval rules.

The only problem with this approach is that if you are not auto-approved, we will not know for sure that this is the reason. It could be another reason, like too high aggregate CL with Citi. Were you auto-approved for your previous Citi cards or did you have to go through recon? If you were not being auto-approved before, I would not bother trying now.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 14, 15, 8:57 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boulder
Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Posts: 2,290
Just applied for the personal 50k "without churning limit" link in the wiki. Receiving a pending notification but was given the various card options at the end, which IME is a good sign with Citi. Had to do this for my last Citi card as well so I might start reducing CLs or closing accounts.

I did reduce my Citi CLs by about $10k yesterday through SM.

Called in immediately and was approved for a $1000 CL but the agent offered to shift some credit over from another card.

Previous Citi cards:
  • AA Platinum Personal, opened July 2013
  • AA Platinum Personal MC, opened August 2013
  • AA Business MC, opened Jan 2014, closed September 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened Feb 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened June 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened July 2014
  • Hilton HHonors, opened 10 days ago

Cards still open unless specified.

I was right on the cusp of 18 months so I'm not really sure if we learned anything.

Last edited by txflyer77; Jan 14, 15 at 9:05 pm
txflyer77 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 8:52 am
  #235  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 3,677
Originally Posted by rocklline View Post
However they declined my app and after calling recon they are saying I cant have this platinum since I had the exec last year.
Were you instantly auto-rejected by the computer? Or did the app go to pending, and then to rejection? Or did the app either go to "we'll let you know" or request you to call in, and was then rejected by the Recon CSR?

If you got an instant auto-rejection, then VegasGambler's reasoning is wrong. If you had to wait for a CSR to review your app, he might be correct.
Brugge is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 10:59 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by Brugge View Post
Were you instantly auto-rejected by the computer? Or did the app go to pending, and then to rejection? Or did the app either go to "we'll let you know" or request you to call in, and was then rejected by the Recon CSR?

If you got an instant auto-rejection, then VegasGambler's reasoning is wrong. If you had to wait for a CSR to review your app, he might be correct.
Are the only reasons for instant auto-rejection too many apps (8 day / 65 day rule) or already having the card? Can't you also be auto-rejected for having too much aggregate CL with them, or too low of a credit score, or too low of a reported income? Or will those reasons always go through CSR review?
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:02 am
  #237  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Is your Plat from July 2013 still open?

If it is, it depends on how you interpret the terms from the new links.

My interpretation is, yes, you can open a new one. If you try, please report back your results (and make sure that you are actually a full 18 months after your last application -- not a few days short of 18 months. If you're not sure of your July 2013 date, wait til Feb)

You should be able to open an AA Gold as well (using the new links)
Last year getting the Exec card reset the clock for Plat applications. Is that no longer the case? I hate being in flux... But I just applied for a few cards so I'm good for the time being while things are sussed out.
Superorb is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:12 am
  #238  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
Last year getting the Exec card reset the clock for Plat applications. Is that no longer the case? I hate being in flux... But I just applied for a few cards so I'm good for the time being while things are sussed out.
That seems to be certainly no longer the case. They changed the wording in the terms, and, when I noticed this change, I applied for and received a Gold just a month after the Plat. with last year's rules that would not have been possible, so I am confident that that rule has changed.

There are still some applications that contain the old wording, but with the "new" links this should be fine. The only question is how to interpret "have not had a Plat card opened or closed in the last 18 months". Once some people apply and report their results, we should be able to figure it out.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:47 am
  #239  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,980
Originally Posted by ctdohert2 View Post
Quick question please...I had 5 exec cards last year, the last was closed in October. If I want to apply for another and also the 50k business card for the first time, does it matter which one I apply for first. I realize I need to space them by 8 days, just wondering if the order mattered at all...Thanks
It should make no real difference. Just make sure you use the churnable Exec link. Personally I would go for Business first just because it has a 90 (95) day min churn, while the Execs have a 7 (8) or 60 (65) day min churn.
IkeEsq is offline  
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:53 am
  #240  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,980
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Are the only reasons for instant auto-rejection too many apps (8 day / 65 day rule) or already having the card? Can't you also be auto-rejected for having too much aggregate CL with them, or too low of a credit score, or too low of a reported income? Or will those reasons always go through CSR review?
You do not ever (AFAIK) get auto-rejected for too much existing credit line. That is the nice thing about Citi, if you have too much you get deferred and you suggest moving credit line around or they do.

I have only ever gotten auto-rejected for breaking the application time rules. It is probably possible to get auto-rejected for having a lousy (really lousy) credit score---but that is somewhere south of 650---or low income, no credit history, etc.

It is also possible to get auto-rejected for being on their black-list, I think.
IkeEsq is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread