Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:24 am

the last time i apply was 7/16/13 Personal MC, 7/23/13 Personal Visa. today i went apply for the Personal MC with the link above 7/23/15 and got the message to call in, so i called reconsider line and move some credit around(this will be my fifth personal plus 1 business i open on 7/5/15) all cards are open still. anyways i got approved and want to thank this thread and the experts for all the awesome info.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Hey guys,

I just called citi to find out when I opened up my last credit cards.

Citi AA Visa: 3 years ago
Citi AA Amex: 2 years ago
Citi Elite Exec Mastercard: 1 year ago (january 2014)

Does that mean because of the CIti Eliete Exec Mastercard that I will have to wait 6 months or is the CIti Eliete Exec Mastercard exempt from the 18 months rule?

Or just to be safe, Should I apply for a Citi Business card? (I havent had one of those for 4 years)

Thank you!!!

Last edited by livestrongforever; Jan 23, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
This is the case. In fact did not even get the card. Instant denial. A very surprise after many instant approvals of the HHonors cards, and the AA was 18 months ago. Did not keep up with the AA thread and operated on the old book was what costed us.
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Interesting, as I had the exact opposite result for my wife and I within the last week. Both applied for Personal MC with new 18-mo language. Both closed Personal Visa (and me a Personal Gold MC) in the last 12 months. Instant approval for both of us. Last Personal App for either of us was 18 months ago.
Happy, do you have a screen shot of the app you used? If so, is it identical to the one in the wiki today? Something is different between your denied app and IkeEsq's approved apps. Maybe the Visa is no longer a problem for a MC app. Or maybe Citi has just changed it's policy of denying a non-qualifying app, meaning IkeEsq will get a card, but not get the bonus. Hopefully it's the former and not the latter. Although they are approving non-qualifying EXEC cards, then not giving out the bonus, so I'm afraid that's what's happening here.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Hey guys,

I just called citi to find out when I opened up my last credit cards.

Citi AA Visa: 3 years ago
Citi AA Amex: 2 years ago
Citi Elite Exec Mastercard: 1 year ago (january 2014)

Does that mean because of the CIti Eliete Exec Mastercard that I will have to wait 6 months or is the CIti Eliete Exec Mastercard exempt from the 18 months rule?
First of all, I'm assuming that the AA Visa is still open, in which case no problem. Also not a problem if it was closed more than 18 months ago. If it was closed in the last 18 months you probably should not apply yet. See the recent posts by Happy, IkeEsq, and myself for more information about that.

AFAIK the AA AMEX doesn't matter for a personal AA Plat MC app.

Now to answer your question about the EXEC card, there aren't enough data points yet to know for sure. But as I read the new apps, (the ones that say:"50K Offers WITH Explicit Churning Restrictions"), the EXEC no longer has any affect on those specific apps for the Plat.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
First of all, I'm assuming that the AA Visa is still open, in which case no problem. Also not a problem if it was closed more than 18 months ago. If it was closed in the last 18 months you probably should not apply yet. See the recent posts by Happy, IkeEsq, and myself for more information about that.

AFAIK the AA AMEX doesn't matter for a personal AA Plat MC app.

Now to answer your question about the EXEC card, there aren't enough data points yet to know for sure. But as I read the new apps, (the ones that say:"50K Offers WITH Explicit Churning Restrictions"), the EXEC no longer has any affect on those specific apps for the Plat.
Awesome thank you. I might give this a try today actually. And to answer your questions, I have not closed my AA personal cards yet. They have been waiving the AF every year. Thank god .

Would you recommend I sign up for the CItibusiness one as well?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

Would you recommend I sign up for the CItibusiness one as well?
Only if you would like an additional virtually free 50K AA miles.

Just remember the 8/65 days also applies to Bus card apps.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:42 pm

Wiki Link for 50K and $3K only limits MC apps

I don't know if this has recently changed or not, as I haven't looked at this before. I just looked at the landing page and the app page for the 5th wiki link listed under "50K Offers WITH Explicit Churning Restrictions". Unlike the T/C for the prior links with a $2K min spnd, where the landing page and the app page have different language, for this set of links with a $3K min spnd the landing page and the app page say the same exact thing: "bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months." The landing page in the wiki, the app that is linked on that landing page, and the direct app in the wiki, all 3 specifically say "MasterCard".
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:58 pm

I don't know if this has recently changed or not, as I haven't looked at this before. I just looked at the landing page and the app page for the 5th wiki link listed under "50K Offers WITH Explicit Churning Restrictions". Unlike the T/C for the prior links with a $2K min spnd, where the landing page and the app page have different language, for this set of links with a $3K min spnd the landing page and the app page say the same exact thing: "bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 18 months." The landing page in the wiki, the app that is linked on that landing page, and the direct app in the wiki, all 3 specifically say "MasterCard".
dang, since i applied for a Citi Elite MC about 12 months ago, that means I cant apply for just a regular plat MC?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:01 pm

deleted
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:39 pm

dang, since i applied for a Citi Elite MC about 12 months ago, that means I cant apply for just a regular plat MC?
I assume by "elite" you mean the World Elite EXECUTIVE card. That is a totally different card from the ones on this thread. And that doesn't limit you from getting the "regular" MC anymore. That is indeed the way it used to be, and if you were to use the top links in the wiki, that would be true.

But the "new" links further down the wiki, the ones that say "with explicit churning restrictions", only limit having gotten Platinum cards. AFAIK having gotten an EXEC does not limit these new apps at all. Just don't use the link at the very top of the wiki, and you should be fine.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:52 pm

Thanks!

I just submitted an APP: I got:

"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!"

LOL
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:46 pm

I have applied for and sucessfully met the 3k minimum spend on my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select MC. I applied for the card on 11/24/2014. The card is paid off.

I'd like to apply for another one (maybe a business version). Can I do this? I have no other Citi cards.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:07 pm

Thanks!

I just submitted an APP: I got:

"A system error has caused a delay in processing your application. Be assured that we have received it and there is no need to resubmit. We will contact you at the mailing address you provided as soon as it is processed. Thank you!"

LOL
UPDATE: Approved!
Awesome Glad I didnt close my other AA cards yet. I will wait 8 days and then apply for the Citi Business Card for 50k as well. Then after that, I'll close my other 2 AA cards that have AF coming up.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:20 pm

UPDATE: Approved!
Awesome Glad I didnt close my other AA cards yet. I will wait 8 days and then apply for the Citi Business Card for 50k as well. Then after that, I'll close my other 2 AA cards that have AF coming up.
^ Congratulations

Not sure if you have been following this thread. Before you cancel your other cards, SM Citi and lower the CL on any Plats, Gold, or AMEX to $1k, and any Exec to $5k. That will make it much easier to get approved for your next Citi apps.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:45 pm

^ Congratulations

Not sure if you have been following this thread. Before you cancel your other cards, SM Citi and lower the CL on any Plats, Gold, or AMEX to $1k, and any Exec to $5k. That will make it much easier to get approved for your next Citi apps.
Thanks!
I just got approved for 13.5k, I'll have to lower that as well. Im assuming that these platinum cards must not be like those visa signature cards that require 5k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.