Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:07 pm

I am going to apologize in advance for my question, but I am confused regarding churn ability.

I applied for a 100k exec card in May 2014, canceled in Aug. Am I eligible for one of the non-churn 50k links above if I apply this month? Or do I have to wait until May 2015?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Buckaroo123
I am going to apologize in advance for my question, but I am confused regarding churn ability.

I applied for a 100k exec card in May 2014, canceled in Aug. Am I eligible for one of the non-churn 50k links above if I apply this month? Or do I have to wait until May 2015?

Thanks
You could apply for another Exec without the 18-month language or
you could apply for a Business card.

You probably need to wait about 18 months (November 2015) for a personal card. Of course the rules may change again in that time.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:28 am

Thought I had read that Citi considers Visa and MC as same cards. That is, if you had Plat Select Visa 17 months ago, you cant get bonus using MC version. But I do not see that in wiki and 18 pages of this thread dont seem to mention it (apology, if I missed it).

Just checking if that is still true (that, Visa and MC are equivalent for 18 month wait purpose;notwithstanding that new T&C mentions only MC)

Might be useful to include answer to this in wiki too.

TIA
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by desi
Thought I had read that Citi considers Visa and MC as same cards. That is, if you had Plat Select Visa 17 months ago, you cant get bonus using MC version. But I do not see that in wiki
It was there for a long time, but it has been at least a year (and perhaps ~17 months, IIRC) since Citi offered AA Visas. Also, some of the new offer terms are in places highly specific about one having held a previous MasterCard; it's unclear to what extent that signals a loosening of the old "Visa and MC are equivalent for churning clock purposes" rule. (Go back to last weekend & you'll see discussion in the thread of this precise issue. I specifically mentioned that I rec'd an AA Visa 17 months ago.)

In view of all the foregoing, I went ahead & deleted that passage. With no live Visa offers for some time now, it's increasingly academic whether Citi treats MC & Visa as interchangeable.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
This thread has heated up recently with the changes and we are trying to figure out what all of the new language means. My wife and I are ready for our next AA Personal churn, so what would be helpful for the community to know?

Abridged History:

06/29/2013 - Last AA Visa approval (IkeEsq) - 18 months since last approval
07/10/2013 - Last AA Visa approval (MsIke) - 18 months since last approval
02/03/2014 - AA Visa closed (IkeEsq) - less than 18 months since last closed Visa
08/14/2014 - AA Visa closed (MsIke) - less than 18 months since last closed Visa
11/06/2014 - HHonors approval (IkeEsq/MsIke) - greater than 60 days
12/08/2014 - AA Biz approved (IkeEsq) - greater than one week
12/15/2014 - AA Biz approved (MsIke) - greater than one week

Apply for one of the no open/closed in 18 month $2K cards for one of us and if it fails one of the old cards for the other?

Ike
Sorry can someone clarify the new churning verbiage for me? If I opened a personal aa card 19 months ago and if I closed it today then I would have to wait another 18 months to apply to qualify the bonus miles for the personal card? I'm confused with the part open/closed in 18 months part. Thank you.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
With no live Visa offers for some time now, it's increasingly academic whether Citi treats MC & Visa as interchangeable.
I wish that were known for certain, but I think the rules have either so recently changed, or might still be in the process of changing, that we lack clear data points on this.

My problem is I recently canceled an AA Visa. The new apps say "had or canceled an AA MC in the last 18 months" on the application page. But on the Landing page it says: "American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months."

One of those is incorrect, and I of course want the Landing page to be the one that is wrong. But I'm not sure, maybe they just didn't put in MC because they don't offer a Visa anymore, but will still consider it a disqualification.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
It was there for a long time, but it has been at least a year (and perhaps ~17 months, IIRC) since Citi offered AA Visas. Also, some of the new offer terms are in places highly specific about one having held a previous MasterCard; it's unclear to what extent that signals a loosening of the old "Visa and MC are equivalent for churning clock purposes" rule. (Go back to last weekend & you'll see discussion in the thread of this precise issue. I specifically mentioned that I rec'd an AA Visa 17 months ago.)

In view of all the foregoing, I went ahead & deleted that passage. With no live Visa offers for some time now, it's increasingly academic whether Citi treats MC & Visa as interchangeable.
Had read all posts of this thread and noticed that three of you had differing viewpoints and was also confused by changing wiki.

Hypothetical scenario for personal card:
Have Plat Visa issued in the last 16 months
Have closed a Plat Visa in last 2 months
Have another Plat (issued 3 years ago) still open.

If one uses legacy link,
a) will get declined for MC or
b) wil get it but potentially will not get miles or
c) will get MC and miles
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:33 pm

I opened a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite MasterCard in April of 2014. I just visited the Citicard site and it says that I'm pre-qualified for a Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard (again?)... what gives?

I don't see any language about only getting the bonus miles every 18 months in the offer. I haven't closed the card I already have open. I did have a citi business card that I closed in June of 2014.

Think I should go for it and try to get the bonus again? Is the World Elite Mastercard considered a different product than the World Mastercard?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:31 pm

You could apply for another Exec without the 18-month language or
you could apply for a Business card.

You probably need to wait about 18 months (November 2015) for a personal card. Of course the rules may change again in that time.
Thanks,

So what is the difference between the personal card links with or without the 18 month churn warning if I have to wait 18 months?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
Sorry can someone clarify the new churning verbiage for me? If I opened a personal aa card 19 months ago and if I closed it today then I would have to wait another 18 months to apply to qualify the bonus miles for the personal card? I'm confused with the part open/closed in 18 months part. Thank you.
My wife and I just applied using the first link with the new verbiage (50K for $2K spend) and were both instantly approved. We have both closed Citi Visa Platinum cards in the last 12 months and I have closed a Citi Gold MC in the past 12 months.

If the card you closed was not a Platinum MC, my experience suggests that you are fine to apply immediately (assuming you comply with the one-week and 60 (65) day rules).

Interestingly, they give your credit score at the bottom of the page as well as which bureau they pulled and the reasons for your score. At the top of the page they also list your credit limit and "Credit Remaining" which was slightly lower than the credit limit on the card. Not sure exactly what that is.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Buckaroo123
Thanks,

So what is the difference between the personal card links with or without the 18 month churn warning if I have to wait 18 months?
It is not completely clear.

It is a good bet that the old link without the 18-month language works the way links have worked for years. The 18-month links may work the way the new Exec and HHonors links work. It is possible that you could get approved with one of the new links if the Exec card is not considered a Platinum MC. Someone needs to try that.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:14 pm

My wife and I just applied using the first link with the new verbiage (50K for $2K spend) and were both instantly approved. We have both closed Citi Visa Platinum cards in the last 12 months and I have closed a Citi Gold MC in the past 12 months.

If the card you closed was not a Platinum MC, my experience suggests that you are fine to apply immediately (assuming you comply with the one-week and 60 (65) day rules).
I currently have a platinum MC card that I opened 18 months ago. Not sure if I should close it and apply or keep it open and apply.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:28 am

Fully appreciate that everyone is trying to be helpful. But sometimes opinions or assumptions cloud facts.

Reality is that there are too many links out there and Citi/AA are in process of changing rules.
So YMMV is the most reliable advice.

All we can do is post datapoints.

Here is mine for MC personal card:
Have opened Plat Visa in last 16 months. One still open and other closed few weeks ago.
Never had any Gold or Exec.
Never had any MC.

Went through each link and picked one that had
a) Landing page with offer description that I can take screenshot of
b) Did not exclude prior Visa Plat (EITHER on landing page or in next page)

Did not get instant approve but asked to call immediately.
Lady approved it without asking any questions for ridiculously high CL AND confirmed the offer.

Hope this helps. But please take it as only as ONE datapoint (not rule).
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asiantraveler
I currently have a platinum MC card that I opened 18 months ago. Not sure if I should close it and apply or keep it open and apply.
It's better to keep it open, in case they need to pull credit limit from the existing card to open the new card.

If you close the old card now, it can take many months to return the credit limit to your "pool" of available credit for new cards. If you leave it open, they can instantly pull available credit from an existing card to a new card. Then, after you're approved for the new card, you can cancel the previous card if you wish.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by desi
Went through each link and picked one that had
a) Landing page with offer description that I can take screenshot of
b) Did not exclude prior Visa Plat (EITHER on landing page or in next page)
Which link is that? Because the old links previously denied for any type of AA card opened in the last 18 months, without saying that anywhere in the link. Which may or may not be true for them now.

And all of the new links I've seen only exclude "MC cards" on the app itself, but just say "previous AA cards" on the Landing page. I haven't seen one that only specifically excludes M/Cs on the Landing page.

Or did you just mean you didn't see any specific mention of the word "Visa" on the Landing page? At any rate, as a data point, it would really help to know the exact link you applied with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.