Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Yes, the targeted offer does circumvent the rules. But only assuming you haven't applied for that same card since Citi sent the targeted offer ( which might have had some lag time involved). It's that "lag time" that is in question here.
Any way to tell when it was sent?

The only dates on the offer are the expiration date of 3/15/15, "as of December 1, 2014 the APR is...", and "your AAvandatage miles as of 10/30/2014".
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:55 pm

Semi-update:

My wife and I received our cards today. Like the previous mailer, they both list the $2000 / 50,000 miles / 3 months offer on the mailer. Activated both online and after activating them the system noticed that we had online accounts setup and asked if we wanted to link the cards to the existing accounts. We did so and there was a drop-down box listing our accounts (although we each only have one for AA personal cards). Just sign in and your card is linked.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
I recently received my first AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard. After registering my account and using it for some purchases, I am not seeing my AAdvantage member number listed anywhere on my Citi account page.

Just want to make sure that my miles will properly credit to my account after making purchases with the card. Am I missing this on the account page somewhere?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
thanks for the data point. Can you talk more about your DW's card history. Dwhen you say that "she has had a card within the last 18 months" are you referring to citibusiness or personal card?
It was a business card and it was opened 6 months ago.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by touringuy
I recently received my first AAdvantage Platinum Mastercard. After registering my account and using it for some purchases, I am not seeing my AAdvantage member number listed anywhere on my Citi account page.

Just want to make sure that my miles will properly credit to my account after making purchases with the card. Am I missing this on the account page somewhere?
Same thing happened to me.

Look at your card (the side with the account number on it). If your AAdvantage number is written on the card you are good to go. If not you can call and they will send you a card with the number.

For my plat, there was no number, I called, and they sent me a new card. For my gold, there was also no number, but I didn't bother calling.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Open New Personal Card using link #3 after closing Business card recently?

Just wanted to see if there were any data points or insight regarding my situation. I am looking to open a new AA personal card. I opened my last personal AA card (Amex) on 3/1/13 and that card is still open. On 10/4/13 I opened an AA business card then closed that card on 11/7/14. Is there significant risk that the business card closure 3 months ago will impact my approval for a new personal card today? My concern is the language in the "with churning language" offers just says "Platinum Select" and does not specify personal vs business, although my understanding is that (in the past at least) business card applications/openings/closings did not impact personal card applications in any way. Is this still this case?

Any thoughts on higher probability of success for link #1 vs link #3?

Thank you
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SkyGuy1001
Just wanted to see if there were any data points or insight regarding my situation. I am looking to open a new AA personal card. I opened my last personal AA card (Amex) on 3/1/13 and that card is still open. On 10/4/13 I opened an AA business card then closed that card on 11/7/14. Is there significant risk that the business card closure 3 months ago will impact my approval for a new personal card today? My concern is the language in the "with churning language" offers just says "Platinum Select" and does not specify personal vs business, although my understanding is that (in the past at least) business card applications/openings/closings did not impact personal card applications in any way. Is this still this case?

Thank you
From personal experience, my wife and I had no problems getting approved using link #3 after each closing a personal Visa in the prior 12 months. I would be very surprised if a Business card counted against a personal application like that as that would mean that you could not get a personal and a business card within 18 months. I really doubt that is the purpose of the new language.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SkyGuy1001

Thank you
While true that link 1 has no written anti-churning language, it used to be true that if you had opened any kind of AA personal card in the past 12-26 months you would get denied.

So why use that link? The new links, while in fact having anti-churning language in them, do not apply to business cards, nor to the AMEX card. So in your case, I'd use one of the new links instead.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:16 am

Got my denial letter, the gist of it is, if you are applying for business and you have ever had a business card before, *DO NOT APPLY USING THE NEW LINKS*

This is not the "still open parent account problem", but new to the new links I think. Note I got "you must call in", not instant denial, so if you get a clueless CSR you might still get approved.

Full text:
Unfortunately, we can't approve your application
Thanks for your interest in the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard account. We reviewed your application and can't approve it because:

This specific offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate you previously had a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage account with us.

I will update wiki to indicate.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:53 pm

So I activated my card and registered a new account online for it. Then today I try to login and I get a blank page and the tab says HHonors Credit Card and the URL has a generic error in it. Citi's online systems are so damn wonky. I have a login for my HHonors cards, a login for my personal AAdvantage and Executive cards, a login for my closed AA Biz cards, and then the new account for my new AA Biz card. I've never had these kinds of problems with any other banks, they all just work.

Now I get to call Citi tech support, let the fun begin!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb
So I activated my card and registered a new account online for it. Then today I try to login and I get a blank page and the tab says HHonors Credit Card and the URL has a generic error in it. Citi's online systems are so damn wonky. I have a login for my HHonors cards, a login for my personal AAdvantage and Executive cards, a login for my closed AA Biz cards, and then the new account for my new AA Biz card. I've never had these kinds of problems with any other banks, they all just work.

Now I get to call Citi tech support, let the fun begin!
Why do you have so many logins?

When I opened a 2nd Citi card, as soon as I logged in the first time, it said that it detected that I already had a login for a different card and asked if I wanted to merge them. I clicked yes, and now I have one login for both cards, just like I do with every other lender.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why do you have so many logins?

When I opened a 2nd Citi card, as soon as I logged in the first time, it said that it detected that I already had a login for a different card and asked if I wanted to merge them. I clicked yes, and now I have one login for both cards, just like I do with every other lender.
I'd love only a single login, but every time I had a new card and tried to link it there would be an error. And I'd call Citi and they'd always say the new cards cannot be linked to existing accounts. And since my AA Biz card was closed that login was "no longer available for use" according to Citi.

So I was able to get into my account with a Java update, but I'm still getting the same error when I click on the card. It's saying I need to call to activate the card. I already did that, and I've made purchases on it so it's obviously working. I had to send 7 messages before one would actually go through. Apparently you cannot have any dashes, parens, quotes, etc or it will error out and not send. Such a PITA, so damn frustrating.

FWIW, I have 1 login for all my HHonors cards, 1 login for all my AAdvantage cards, and now a dead AA Biz login as well as a new, current AA Biz login.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Data Point - Approved using link 3

Originally Posted by Brugge
While true that link 1 has no written anti-churning language, it used to be true that if you had opened any kind of AA personal card in the past 12-26 months you would get denied.

So why use that link? The new links, while in fact having anti-churning language in them, do not apply to business cards, nor to the AMEX card. So in your case, I'd use one of the new links instead.
Thank you Brugge and Ike. You gave me the courage to hit the apply button. I applied using link #3 in the wiki and got the call now for instant decision. It seemed the call was only to set the credit limit which was easy. I also opened one for my wife and she was instantly approved. I know this doesn't confirm much (other than closing a business card within 3 months of applying for a personal card does not impact approval) but figured I'd share.

The real question now is do I dare try for another business card using the link with the old language (#2) in 8 days?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:25 pm

another family member quasi-instant approved for a personal mastercard using link 3. no previous AA mastercard, last AA personal 7/2013, and only AA business 11/2014. was asked to call in but approved with a decent CL with no additional questions asked/info needed. thanks again to all recent applicants for the helpful datapoints!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
I'd love only a single login, but every time I had a new card and tried to link it there would be an error. And I'd call Citi and they'd always say the new cards cannot be linked to existing accounts. And since my AA Biz card was closed that login was "no longer available for use" according to Citi.

So I was able to get into my account with a Java update, but I'm still getting the same error when I click on the card. It's saying I need to call to activate the card. I already did that, and I've made purchases on it so it's obviously working. I had to send 7 messages before one would actually go through. Apparently you cannot have any dashes, parens, quotes, etc or it will error out and not send. Such a PITA, so damn frustrating.

FWIW, I have 1 login for all my HHonors cards, 1 login for all my AAdvantage cards, and now a dead AA Biz login as well as a new, current AA Biz login.
I believe I've read that the rule is that neither Hilton cards nor business cards can be under the same account as AA or other Citi cards. So most people eventually end up with:
- A Hilton account
- A business account
- An AA/everything else account

It's really annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.