Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RobFromCT
Thanks. I just applied and was approved instantly.
^ Congratulations
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
Got my denial letter, the gist of it is, if you are applying for business and you have ever had a business card before, *DO NOT APPLY USING THE NEW LINKS*

This is not the "still open parent account problem", but new to the new links I think. Note I got "you must call in", not instant denial, so if you get a clueless CSR you might still get approved.

Full text:
Unfortunately, we can't approve your application
Thanks for your interest in the CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard account. We reviewed your application and can't approve it because:

This specific offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate you previously had a CitiBusiness/AAdvantage account with us.

I will update wiki to indicate.
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Am I correct that you only ever had one previous Business card? If so, this denial does not really tell us anything new, I don't think. People have been getting these kinds of denials for years on second Business cards (although I do not know the exact language on the letter.) Until someone who has been successfully churning Business cards is no longer able to, it is difficult to tell if anything has changed.
I agree that jacobsta811's evidence is inconclusive at best, and that the update to the wiki expressed unjustified certainty. I've revised the entries in question to flag jacobsta811's concern (w/link to his post) while noting that the jury is still out.

Normally, reports of successful apps are useless clutter. In this instance, however, a counterexample to jacobsta811's experience would pretty much put this to rest. Thus, a question for the group:
Has anyone successfully applied for a business card using one of the new links (5 & 8) after previously holding an AA business card?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by B747forever
Why I am not able to log in into my account online.
You have to wait till you get your card to enter the card number into the Citi website.

Originally Posted by beltway
Normally, reports of successful apps are useless clutter. In this instance, however, a counterexample to jacobsta811's experience would pretty much put this to rest. Thus, a question for the group:
Has anyone successfully applied for a business card using one of the new links (5 & 8) after previously holding an AA business card?
I applied for and was approved for link #8. I closed my last Biz card 10/2/13.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Thank you. I think that pretty much disposes of the claim that the new biz card links have a retroactive once/lifetime restriction.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Superorb
Did you use EIN or SSN?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExP || SPG Plt || Honors Diamond || UA Silver
Pulled the trigger. Applied through link #3. Approved after chat with a CL of 2.2k.. Yes, 2.2k... I know the minimum possible CL for AA Platinum card is 2k, but anyways, I'm happy with that, as long as the 50k offer is valid!
Timeline:
23 Jul 2013 AA Visa converted to non-AA at Aug 2014
31 Jul 2013 AA Visa converted to non-AA at Aug 2014
?? Oct 2013 AA MC Biz closed on Nov 2014
........ 2014 AA Executive, several, most recent Jul 2014
?? Nov 2014 AA MC Biz rejected due to unknown reason
01 Feb 2015 AA MC

The landing page mentioned not valid to Platinum card holders in the past 18 months. However the application page said Platinum MC card explicitly. I still waited exactly 18 months anyways.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:55 pm

So does the AA Exec restart the clock now?

I have AA Visa and AA Amex opened in Nov 2012 (26 months ago), but I also have several AA Exec opened in Feb 2014 - Jun 2014 (7 months ago). I was under the impression that AA Exec restarts the clock, so the earliest date to apply for AA MC is Dec 2015/Jan 2016.

However, since Link #3 has no exclusion for Visa or Amex, can I apply for AA MC now? Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Link No.1 died?

All links under No.1 (without restriction language) gave system errors.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Take on Pre-qualified terms

I applied for my last AA card more than 20 months ago, but unfortunately I closed my MC Platinum in November, so according to the new terms I would not be approved if I applied under link 3.
If I look at the pre-qualified offers in the Citi website I get the following terms:
"This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card."
If I remember correctly this sounds similar to the old terms, isn't it? Do you guys have any experience with these applications? I wonder if I should give it a try...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Platinum AA - out with the old, in with the new

Link #3 worked great for me. I currently have an existing Platinum MC from the double browser trick in Jan '13 for which I was able to get the $95 annual fee waived Jan '14. It's now due again but the retention offer to waive the fee again seems unlikely since I've spent next to zero on it in the last year. I was waiting for the $95 to post to call retention when I read about link #3 above. How perfect for me? I have a Platinum MC currently open but haven't "opened or closed" one in the last 18 months. HOORAY! I applied using link #3 and was approved for a new Platinum MC today. I had to call in to move some credit around from my five existing Citi cards (3 Execs, 1 Plat and 1 Hilton Honors) because they could only offer $1500 on the new one. She suggested one of the Exec cards but I asked about canceling the old Platinum and transferring its $11,000. She said she was in the new accounts dept and wasn't able to cancel a card (even though I have first hand experience in canceling a card and moving its credit line on a call last year just like this one but maybe things have changed in the last eight or nine months). Anyway she moved $9000 and left $2000 on the old Platinum card. I can now call the retention department with the legitimate desire to cancel to see what they offer. If it's not good enough, I'll just cancel knowing the benefits of the old Platinum (like the 10% rebate) will continue with the new Platinum.

Some say get the 50K Execs while you still can since it's a zombie link and could go at any time while the #3 link is fairly new and expected to be around for awhile. But for me the timing worked great to go ahead with the new Platinum. Hopefully the zombie link for my fourth Exec will still be working in eight days.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
All links under No.1 (without restriction language) gave system errors.
Both #1 and #2 are currently dead. Occasionally these links briefly come back to life, but if not, the party had to end some time. There will be other parties, one hopes.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Both #1 and #2 are currently dead. Occasionally these links briefly come back to life, but if not, the party had to end some time. There will be other parties, one hopes.
Yes, all of those links look pretty moribund right now. I suggest we give it a day; if there's no improvement by tomorrow, I'll clean up the wiki or someone else can.

This raises an issue I've been thinking about ever since I reorganized the links last month: how to label the links. I used a basic numbering scheme to start, but as links die off this will either lead to weird gaps (like starting with 3, possibly skipping over other numbers as links in the middle die off) or the necessity of periodic renumbering. The latter is easy enough to do, but will make it hard to interpret earlier posts that used different numbers.

Instead of using numbers or letters, we could go with a non-ordinal scheme such as colors, first names, or the like. The risk, of course, is that this may be confusing to newcomers -- the people who need the wiki the most -- and/or become a bit labored/silly.

[Mods, I don't mean to hijack the thread with meta-discussion about the wiki. Feel free to split this off into a separate thread or to tell people just to DM me with thoughts on the subject. Thanks.]
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, all of those links look pretty moribund right now. I suggest we give it a day; if there's no improvement by tomorrow, I'll clean up the wiki or someone else can.

This raises an issue I've been thinking about ever since I reorganized the links last month: how to label the links. I used a basic numbering scheme to start, but as links die off this will either lead to weird gaps (like starting with 3, possibly skipping over other numbers as links in the middle die off) or the necessity of periodic renumbering. The latter is easy enough to do, but will make it hard to interpret earlier posts that used different numbers.

Instead of using numbers or letters, we could go with a non-ordinal scheme such as colors, first names, or the like. The risk, of course, is that this may be confusing to newcomers -- the people who need the wiki the most -- and/or become a bit labored/silly.

[Mods, I don't mean to hijack the thread with meta-discussion about the wiki. Feel free to split this off into a separate thread or to tell people just to DM me with thoughts on the subject. Thanks.]
I personally believe just crossing out the old links is the perfect solution. They can still be read and nothing loses its place or numerical identity. No one new will then be asking where the blue link is. That's my two cents.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Did you use EIN or SSN?
SSN, though I do have a legit business which is my sole source of income. They did give me a pathetic $1,000 limit that I exceeded loading RB a few days ago since I forgot how low the limit actually was.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
I personally believe just crossing out the old links is the perfect solution. They can still be read and nothing loses its place or numerical identity. No one new will then be asking where the blue link is.
I see a couple of problems with that approach:
  • The wiki will become increasingly long over time.
  • Because older links at the top of the list are more likely to expire, over time it will be even harder to wade through the clutter & find the current links.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.