Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/AA Platinum, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
When I say "new links" I mean any link that says that it is not available to people who have gotten a Platinum AA card opened or closed in the past 18 months. You need to make sure it says "Platinum" (and not just "any AAdvantage card", since your Exec would disqualify you from that) The application that is available on citi.com is one example of such an application; some of the wiki links point to such an app as well.

If you suspect that your combined CLs from both execs are preventing you from getting automatic approval, you could lower your CLs and then wait a while (I'm not sure how long it takes to "kick in"; I'd probably wait a full statement cycle to be safe, although that is probably overkill). I suspect that the key here is that you need automatic approval, and that any manual recon will disqualify you since you already have AA cards.

And, once again, remember that when applying the 8 day / 65 day rule, denied applications count. You are counting applications, not approvals.

Agreed. Reading the application verbiage carefully is the key.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Apologies if this has already been explained, but which link should I use to apply for the personal MC? In the wikipost it appears several of the links to apply have the same terms. Am I missing something that distinguishes each one?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
When I say "new links" I mean any link that says that it is not available to people who have gotten a Platinum AA card opened or closed in the past 18 months.
Originally Posted by jerryhze
Agreed. Reading the application verbiage carefully is the key.
Yes, although I think it's easy to slice this too thin. For example, the new links are super-specific that you're disqualified if you've opened or closed a Plat AA MasterCard in the previous 18 months. Read literally, that would pose no problem for someone (me, for example) who opened a Plat Visa 17 months ago. But I suspect this is just lazy drafting on Citi's part, and that a recent Visa will disqualify you just as much.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, although I think it's easy to slice this too thin. For example, the new links are super-specific that you're disqualified if you've opened or closed a Plat AA MasterCard in the previous 18 months. Read literally, that would pose no problem for someone (me, for example) who opened a Plat Visa 17 months ago. But I suspect this is just lazy drafting on Citi's part, and that a recent Visa will disqualify you just as much.
A good question, since the Plat I canceled a month ago was a Visa. I haven't applied for, or canceled, a Plat MC in the past couple of years...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:14 pm

I got a question. Let's say you opened an AA Platinum 18 months ago. You then get approved for a second one. If the first card is canceled before the spend requirement is met for the second card, is the signup bonus lost?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
A good question, since the Plat I canceled a month ago was a Visa. I haven't applied for, or canceled, a Plat MC in the past couple of years...
The app pages for the first 2 "restricted churning" links in the wiki refer only to MC cards, however the landing pages are quite different:

*50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® cardmembers approved through this offer. Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.

So which one is sloppy? The landing page which should have said MC, but left that out? Or the app pages which say MC but really should only say Plat cards?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
So which one is sloppy? The landing page which should have said MC, but left that out? Or the app pages which say MC but really should only say Plat cards?
It is possible that they are both correct, and the two applications have different terms.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I got a question. Let's say you opened an AA Platinum 18 months ago. You then get approved for a second one. If the first card is canceled before the spend requirement is met for the second card, is the signup bonus lost?
In the past, it didn't matter whether your frst Platinum card (from over 26 months ago) was open or closed; you'd qualify for the new card and get the bonus.

Everything is changing, so we cannot necessarily rely on the past as predictions of the future. Be we have no data points for the new changes yet.

Still, your question sounds bizarre to me, because I've never heard of any bank linking the closure of one card (after the second card had already been approved) to whether you got the bonus on the first card or not.

I think all decisions about previous cards are already made by the time they approve you (or not) for the new card. At that point, the only factors are (a) what they decided ahead of time (at the time they approved you for the card itself), ie will you get the bonus or not, and (b) whether you meet the terms of the bonus (minimum spend in the alloted time, or whatever).

It's hard to even get data points on what you're asking, because without lots of data points you'd never know whether the lack of getting a bonus was for reason A or resason B.

It took us a long time of hundreds of data points to come up with the old rules. It's now going to quite some time before we're confident of new rules, and that's only if they settle down and stop changing constantly!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
This question reminds me of the arguments between Church scholars in the Middle Ages about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.

My guestimate, but only a guestimate, is that the status at the point of application is the one that applies, not what may have happened after the application. But I seriously doubt anyone really knows the answer. And those not knowing the answer may include Citi itself, since these rules are not only new, but still in flux.

Not to mention the usual Citi caveat of YMMV.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by touringuy
Apologies if this has already been explained, but which link should I use to apply for the personal MC? In the wikipost it appears several of the links to apply have the same terms. Am I missing something that distinguishes each one?
If you've never had a Citi AA card before, there's probably not much difference. Many of the differences are in the precise language of the terms about previous cards. Or sometimes it's a difference in age (ie, when the link was discovered to work), and we keep all links alive that still work (since some links may stop working while others continue to work).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you've never had a Citi AA card before, there's probably not much difference. Many of the differences are in the precise language of the terms about previous cards. Or sometimes it's a difference in age (ie, when the link was discovered to work), and we keep all links alive that still work (since some links may stop working while others continue to work).
Thank you for the explanation. I've never had a Citi AA card before. So I should probably use the first link provided in the wiki? And would I be better off using the link that doesn't contain explicit churning restrictions?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:58 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I've never had a Citi AA card before. So I should probably use the first link provided in the wiki? And would I be better off using the link that doesn't contain explicit churning restrictions?
Churning restrictions don't matter for you. Since you haven't had an AA card before, you aren't churning yet. The only thing that probably matters is to apply for a Plat card before you apply for an EXEC card. And of course the 8/65 day rule.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:58 pm

I have a question about applying for another AA personal... i got a target offer email for citi business 50K and i apply last week(approved today)

now i had just realize my last personal is about to have it's 18th month from opening. and i would like to know did i screw my self up by getting the business??

coz i don't know if the business application consider a new application?

please let me know that is much appreciated...
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:11 pm

Well, among other things, note that the spend requirements are lower for the newer (explicit churn limits) offers: $2K vs $3K.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:29 pm

Applied and approved for my targeted gold AA offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.