Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Some people interpret the T&C to mean that you can't get another Plat AA until 18 months after your last Plat AA is closed.

I take the more plain english interpretation that you can't get another Plat AA within 18 months of the act of opening or closing a Plat AA. So as long as you don't close it before you apply, you should be fine.

My interpretation sounds illogical, but I can totally see Citi doing this. If you decide to try, please report back. At this point no one can say for sure what will or won't work since the rules seem to have just changed (or be in the process of changing). We can only make our best guesses.

I also think that you can only be approved if you are auto-approved. It seems that the recon CSRs are declining people who have a current or recently closed AA card of any type. This does not match the auto-approval rules.

The only problem with this approach is that if you are not auto-approved, we will not know for sure that this is the reason. It could be another reason, like too high aggregate CL with Citi. Were you auto-approved for your previous Citi cards or did you have to go through recon? If you were not being auto-approved before, I would not bother trying now.
I haven't been auto-approved for almost any of my Citi cards anymore. I have had to move around credit limit. So I guess I won't try for the Plat yet.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
I haven't been auto-approved for almost any of my Citi cards anymore. I have had to move around credit limit. So I guess I won't try for the Plat yet.
Have you tried lowering the CLs on your current cards? I had a very high total CL with Citi, and had to call Recon and move credit every app. Then I lowered all but one of my Citi cards to $1K or $2K, just keeping $8K on one card so that if I had to move some CL I could. My four Citi apps since then have all been instant approvals.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
You do not ever (AFAIK) get auto-rejected for too much existing credit line. That is the nice thing about Citi, if you have too much you get deferred and you suggest moving credit line around or they do.

I have only ever gotten auto-rejected for breaking the application time rules. It is probably possible to get auto-rejected for having a lousy (really lousy) credit score---but that is somewhere south of 650---or low income, no credit history, etc.

It is also possible to get auto-rejected for being on their black-list, I think.
Ok, that is good to know. It should make it easier for us to figure out the new rules.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:50 pm

Targeted Plat

A friend applied and was approved for the AA Plat with the 50K bonus. A day later he received a targeted offer for an AA Plat with 50K miles and two Admirals Club passes. The terms of the targeted offer did not contain any restrictive language.

I've seen the reports from members who were approved for the AA Plat and a targeted AA Gold (and vice versa) in a short amount of time. However, I didn't notice any reports of having the Plat approved, then a targeted Plat approved a few days later.

Question: It's been 16 days since my friends first Plat approval...If he applies using the targeted offer he received, what are his chances?

Last edited by traveler9020; Jan 15, 2015 at 2:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveler9020
A friend applied and was approved for the AA Plat with the 50K bonus. A day later he received a targeted offer for an AA Plat with 50K miles and two Admirals Club passes. The terms of the targeted offer did not contain any restrictive language.

I've seen the reports from members who were approved for the AA Plat and a targeted AA Gold (and vice versa) in a short amount of time. However, I didn't notice any reports of having the Plat approved, then a targeted Plat approved a few days later.

Question: It's been 16 days since my friends first Plat approval...If he applies using the targeted offer he received, what are his chances?
Recieved how? By mail? If so, it was obviously generated before he applied for the AA Plat. Even if by email, it was likely generated before that, but harder to prove that.

And with a targeted offer that was generated before someone had an AA card, that's probably why it didn't have restrictive terms, but it's very likely that restrictive terms apply now that he does have an AA Plat card already.

Targeted offers that were generated before you applied for a card work quite differently than targeted offers that are generated after you already had the card.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Recieved how? By mail? If so, it was obviously generated before he applied for the AA Plat. Even if by email, it was likely generated before that, but harder to prove that.

And with a targeted offer that was generated before someone had an AA card, that's probably why it didn't have restrictive terms, but it's very likely that restrictive terms apply now that he does have an AA Plat card already.

Targeted offers that were generated before you applied for a card work quite differently than targeted offers that are generated after you already had the card.
He did receive the targeted offer by mail. It arrived a day after he was approved for the 50K AA plat.

Thanks, I'll advise him to apply for the Exec instead.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Have you tried lowering the CLs on your current cards? I had a very high total CL with Citi, and had to call Recon and move credit every app. Then I lowered all but one of my Citi cards to $1K or $2K, just keeping $8K on one card so that if I had to move some CL I could. My four Citi apps since then have all been instant approvals.
This. Lowering my CLs has made all the difference in the world in my apps. If you pay attention, it's not hard to figure out how much credit a company is willing to give you. Make sure you've got plenty of free credit before applying for a new card, and you're much, much more likely to get instant approval than if you don't manage your available credit.

I've got an AOR coming up, and in preparation, I cleared out 20k+ with each card issuer a month or two ago. Chase and Amex may not be quite as good about it as Citi (which is almost automatic if you have enough credit free), but it sure doesn't hurt. From what we've seen with the US Airways cards, Barclays seems to be in about the same boat.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:16 am

Dang it, Citi, why do you have to change the rules right as I'm about to get more of your cards? How dare you make me work a little for free money.

Lots of good information in the last few pages here. Lots of (good) speculation involved, though. What we really need is datapoints. If you apply for one of these cards, please report back on your results, even if it may not be a situation that would have been noteworthy a few months ago. With all these changes, it's going to take a lot of datapoints to pin down the new rules.

Please make sure you include (at a minimum):
- Card applied for & link/offer used
- Citi & AA card history (which cards, open date, close date)
- Instant approval or recon required
- If you lowered your CL before applying
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:45 am

We have no data points indicating that either the new or old business links are more or less churnable, correct? If not, I'll be applying soon with one of the newer links (2k spend vs 3k), and will have some data points about that.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:10 am

data point for biz card

have 1 biz card open in march 2014, still holding it
applied last week used the no restriction rule, pending, called without me saying anything, put me on hold, came back approved for $1 but I can move CL from the existing card, confirmed with CS that the 50K bonus.

Last edited by catcathk; Jan 16, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:01 pm

Experiment time

This thread has heated up recently with the changes and we are trying to figure out what all of the new language means. My wife and I are ready for our next AA Personal churn, so what would be helpful for the community to know?

Abridged History:

06/29/2013 - Last AA Visa approval (IkeEsq) - 18 months since last approval
07/10/2013 - Last AA Visa approval (MsIke) - 18 months since last approval
02/03/2014 - AA Visa closed (IkeEsq) - less than 18 months since last closed Visa
08/14/2014 - AA Visa closed (MsIke) - less than 18 months since last closed Visa
11/06/2014 - HHonors approval (IkeEsq/MsIke) - greater than 60 days
12/08/2014 - AA Biz approved (IkeEsq) - greater than one week
12/15/2014 - AA Biz approved (MsIke) - greater than one week

Apply for one of the no open/closed in 18 month $2K cards for one of us and if it fails one of the old cards for the other?

Ike
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Citi is getting very strict with these AA cards, that's for sure.

Applied y-day for the Business version with the 2000 spend. Previous AA Business version (and not even Platinum) was closed Oct 2014.
No automatic approval. After calling several times, was told the real reason--many notes in my account saying that I already have/had enough AA cards, personal and business. So the last rep said this will affect all new AA applications in the future.
And I even was not that heavy churner, probably all I have done so far was 3 personal and 3 business AA cards since the time of the first 75K offers, 2008 or so, all applications done very carefully and waiting enough time between them.
Need to search for a different bank/airline.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch

Based on data points in this thread from myself and others, I don't think this is true.

I received a targeted offer for AA Gold before I had any Citi cards, and was able to get approved for Platinum and then the targeted Gold later that week. By your reasoning my Gold should have been denied based on restrictive terms coming into effect after receiving the Plat - but in reality targeted offers appear to be able to circumvent all Citi rules regardless of when you received them.

So I see no reason why traveler9020's friend shouldn't be able to get approved for the targeted Plat even after just getting approved for the public Plat.

Last edited by rapishorrid; Jan 17, 2015 at 7:59 am
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pianistat
Citi is getting very strict with these AA cards, that's for sure.

Applied y-day for the Business version with the 2000 spend. Previous AA Business version (and not even Platinum) was closed Oct 2014.
No automatic approval. After calling several times, was told the real reason--many notes in my account saying that I already have/had enough AA cards, personal and business. So the last rep said this will affect all new AA applications in the future.
And I even was not that heavy churner, probably all I have done so far was 3 personal and 3 business AA cards since the time of the first 75K offers, 2008 or so, all applications done very carefully and waiting enough time between them.
Need to search for a different bank/airline.
I don't think it's that. I think Citi just doesn't like you. Take a look at the EXEC thread. Someone there just got approved for his 10th Exec card, after canceling the first 9 to avoid paying the fee. If getting a mere 6 cards, of two different types, was all it took to get blacklisted by Citi, this thread would only be a third as long as it is.

Seriously, there are two basic facts you don't seem to be taking into account:

1) Citi CSRs are clueless, and they make up things all the time that have no basis in reality.

2) AA Bus apps have always been a YMMV situation. Some people can get card after card, sometimes with a card still open. Some people have to close both the card and the master account and wait a while to get approved. And some people can only get one card per lifetime, no matter what they do.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:56 pm

Hello,

We applied for a new business card for DW yesterday. Her last business card and master account was closed about 1 month ago and she wasn't instantly approved. Her last business card app resulted in a rejection due to a stated reason of "already have a business card" although we had canceled it. My guess is that we didn't wait long enough after canceling the card before we applied (only 3 days I believe).

So, should we call into the Citi recon line or see how it plays out? We called into the recon line right after her last app and they looked it up and then came back with the rejection and the above-mentioned stated reason. So I'm wondering if she would have gotten approved automatically if we hadn't rocked the boat by calling in.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.