FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:27 am
st1575

Originally Posted by traveler9020
Your memory has not failed you. Citi did change some accounts from World "Platinum Select" to World "Elite Platinum".

World "Elite" Platinum and Executive World "Elite" are totally different products, however when the notifications went out everyone fixed in on "Elite" and it caused some confusion.
To clarify further, the only thing that changed is the type of Mastercard (World -> World Elite), not the Citi AAdvantage product ("Platinum Select"). Mastercard throws in some extras on its "World Elite" cards, but no real difference from Citi/AA's perspective or benefits despite confused CSRs.

For those who care, what is now the "Platinum Select" card product has been issued as Amex, Visa, and MC cards at different times (like many AA cards). Based on various letters I have received over the last six months, Citi is doing some housekeeping on the branding of the product groups ("Bronze," "Gold," "Platinum Select," and "Executive") so that there is some unity across the cards regardless of issuers. For example, when I call AA about my Platinum Select Visa or MC, no mention is ever made about it being MC or Visa, just a "Platinum Select" card.

The Amex cards are a little more interesting. My 2012-vintage "Citi Select/AAdvantage" Amex card became a "Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select" Amex sometime in late 2014. I never understood the difference between the two, and clearly no one else did either because the "Citi Select/AAdvantage" brand is now toast according to the reduced awards page :

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ed_mileage.jsp

Using the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine on that same page, you can see that both gave access to the 7500-mile reduction on some redemptions. Finally, it appears that the former plain, no-Select Amex also has been rebranded to the "Gold" product family.