Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I noticed on the Surpass that you mentioned upgrading rather than getting a new Surpass ( which gives more than 50K). Is the reason for that you already had the Surpass and think you would get the 50K points via the upgrade from the no fee card but would be denied if you applied for the Surpass as a new card ?
Yep, had the no fee, after a year applied for the Surpass while keeping the no fee card open, using in private browsing. Canceled the Surpass after a year when the AF came due. Thought I was out of options for bonus HH points from AMEX, but according to the OP above, I can do the upgrade @once a year, over and over.

Not a great deal at a $75 AF for only 50K points, but still cheaper than paying Hilton room rates. Using the 5th night free option in Europe there are some pretty decent hotels where that $75/50K points gets you 2 nights that would otherwise cost @$250. Worth doing: yes. Worth cheering about: no...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:12 am

Is this something?

Similar to what James Ben found on the Citi Premier thread, regarding a app link without the 18 month language:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25231225-post329.html

I got to this application by checking for pre-qualified offers. I wasn't pre-qualified, but this was among the several cards that were listed. I also saw the app for the Premier that James Ben saw.

There is no landing page, but the description in the pre-qual page says 75000 Hilton HHonors points after spending $2,000 in 3 months. I see no mention of 18 months anywhere.

App link: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...1111101&uc=E8G
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Yep, had the no fee, after a year applied for the Surpass while keeping the no fee card open, using in private browsing. Canceled the Surpass after a year when the AF came due. Thought I was out of options for bonus HH points from AMEX, but according to the OP above, I can do the upgrade @once a year, over and over.

Not a great deal at a $75 AF for only 50K points, but still cheaper than paying Hilton room rates. Using the 5th night free option in Europe there are some pretty decent hotels where that $75/50K points gets you 2 nights that would otherwise cost @$250. Worth doing: yes. Worth cheering about: no...

Good to know as I was concerned about spending $3k ( if I do the upgrade) and not getting the 50K points as I have had the surpass.

Do you downgrade right away in order to get the 50K offer again in 12 months ?

The $75 ( if timed correctly ) can give you gold for 2 years, where we stay Gold is worth almost $100 a day as it includes and upgrade and free cooked to order breakfast. My Gold would be expired when I upgrade

My fiance got her Surpass in December 2014 and her Gold status expires 3/31/2017
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Brewer20

I got to this application by checking for pre-qualified offers. I wasn't pre-qualified, but this was among the several cards that were listed. I also saw the app for the Premier that James Ben saw.

There is no landing page, but the description in the pre-qual page says 75000 Hilton HHonors points after spending $2,000 in 3 months. I see no mention of 18 months anywhere.

App link: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...1111101&uc=E8G
If you go back to the Landing page it has the 18 month Language
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
How do you go back to the landing page?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by chener
How do you go back to the landing page?
I went to Citi.com and followed it from there
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:31 pm

I went to Citi.com and followed it from there
I don't find his application link on citi.com
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I haven't been able to access the landing page. But it seems strange that the landing page would have the 18 months language, and the app itself would only say:

"This offer is only valid for new accounts", which is the old, churnable language for Citi apps.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
I haven't been able to access the landing page. But it seems strange that the landing page would have the 18 months language, and the app itself would only say:

"This offer is only valid for new accounts", which is the old, churnable language for Citi apps.
When I visit the landing page, I see very clear 18-month language, but the app to which it links has no such language. I'm sad to say I think this is fool's gold.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
When I visit the landing page, I see very clear 18-month language, but the app to which it links has no such language. I'm sad to say I think this is fool's gold.
The link on that landing page does not match the link Brewer20 posted.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
The link on that landing page does not match the link Brewer20 posted.
I think you're missing my point, which is that the absence of 18-month language on an app page is not a reliable (let alone definitive) indicator that the offer has no such restriction. Maybe Brewer20's app link is unrestricted, but the odds seem to me sufficiently low that I'll let someone else roll the dice on it first.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Such a fitting description!

I think you're missing my point, which is that the absence of 18-month language on an app page is not a reliable (let alone definitive) indicator that the offer has no such restriction. Maybe Brewer20's app link is unrestricted, but the odds seem to me sufficiently low that I'll let someone else roll the dice on it first.
Totally agree - the app page from the restrictive landing page does not have the same language, obviously does not mean the app page would be free of the restriction.

Too much wishful thinking in many's mind.

You really need to be extra careful so not to be trapped - not getting a bonus and reset the clock...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Such a fitting description!

Totally agree - the app page from the restrictive landing page does not have the same language, obviously does not mean the app page would be free of the restriction.

Too much wishful thinking in many's mind.

You really need to be extra careful so not to be trapped - not getting a bonus and reset the clock...
I agree it seems a long shot.

The only thing that may give it hope is that I got to that link not by the landing page with the 18 month language, but rather through the per-qualified offers page. Again that link was not a pre-qual offer, it was one of the other cards Citi thought I might be interested in.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

Last month, CITI closed both my Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature cards that were opened in 2012 due to over 25 months of inactivity.

Given it was CITI who closed them, am I subject to the 18 month rule?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hpfiend
Last month, CITI closed both my Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature cards that were opened in 2012 due to over 25 months of inactivity.

Given it was CITI who closed them, am I subject to the 18 month rule?
The only way of determining that would be datapoints from other people in the exact same situation as you, who went and applied for a new HH Visa Sig card anyway in that situation. Since this situation is somewhat rare, we have no such datapoints yet as far as I can recall. You thus may have to "be your own guinea pig". In which case, please come back and report afterwards how it worked out. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.