Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duranza
I am almost 100% sure that no credit card approval letter I have ever received has mentioned the bonus.

Correct me someone if I am wrong , but I have always gotten the bonus even without them mentioning it.

I just received my card and activated it online, this is my 2nd the first I received back in 2013.
Unfortunately you are wrong.
Since late last year, all Citi's cards come with an approval letter which mentions the detail of bonus, AND some cards also come with the bonus details printed on the "card" page.

People on the Exec thread were the first group to find out they can get a card but not the bonus, AND later they discovered their bonus offers were not shown on their approval letter, plus when called in, the rep would see the bonus offer was deactivated.

If no bonus mentioned in the approval letter / card page, chances are, the bonus is deleted from the account.

Regarding your previous card, if you still have it opened, so it passes the test of the 18 months on both the open and the close part, you will get the bonus. If you have closed that card and the closure is less than 18 months ago, you waste a HP for nothing.

For the Hilton HHonors, the distinction is either the no fee or the fee-based Reserve. It is not like the AA cards that have the Gold and MC World. So one can get each bonus.

Good luck for your 40K. My interpretation is, they are not different products despite different bonuses. Both are Visa Signature.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 13, 2015 at 11:14 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Very good to know, and I appreciate your follow-up. Not that it matters now, but the conversion process ended just about a month ago, so resetting the clock by a month is insignificant, in my estimation.
Not sure you actually understand the rules. In a nut shell, the conversion means you would need to wait 18 months from the conversion before you can be eligible to get a bonus again.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by JBG89
Can i ask if the card is still as churnable (I know the wiki still says its debateable)
I think you would do well to re-read the wiki, which doesn't say that at all.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Since late last year, all Citi's cards come with an approval letter which mentions the detail of bonus
I seem to recall reading upthread that it's only all Citi's personal cards. Specifically, I thought I read that Citi's AA business card approval letter doesn't mention the bonus even if you're going to get one. Citi seems to keep business cards pretty separate from personal cards, so I'd not be surprised if the paperwork is completely different for business cards. (I got one a couple years ago, but I don't remember what it's approval paperwork was like.)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I seem to recall reading upthread that it's only all Citi's personal cards. Specifically, I thought I read that Citi's AA business card approval letter doesn't mention the bonus even if you're going to get one. Citi seems to keep business cards pretty separate from personal cards, so I'd not be surprised if the paperwork is completely different for business cards. (I got one a couple years ago, but I don't remember what it's approval paperwork was like.)
I dont think in the past the bonus is ever mentioned on any paper that came with the card. It is an improvement since late last year. So people will be informed.

This may also explain why a poster was declined a business card but 3 days later got an approval of a personal card - there is no 8 days wait in between.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Not sure you actually understand the rules. In a nut shell, the conversion means you would need to wait 18 months from the conversion before you can be eligible to get a bonus again.
Thanks, I was not clear on this. I received no bonus with the conversion, as I noted above. But I was uncertain how their clunky system would treat the conversion: as a new card, making me ineligible for the bonus, or as something in-between, making me eligible for the bonus. Initially, I was thinking it was worth a try, just to see. But I was looking for a good redemption in Seattle, and nothing I found was good enough to justify taking trouble.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by flyer4512
No dice on the 75K as it was not mentioned in the approval letter so I am not making the spend.

I have 1 million HH points left...........time to start accumulating Marriott again, maybe some reserve cards , Arrival, cap 1 , etc..............it won't be as easy ( convenient) to get free rooms but it can still be done , for now.

Sad to hear this
I was actually waiting on your update.
On a side note, is the marriott card churnable?
thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by express3
Sad to hear this
I was actually waiting on your update.
On a side note, is the marriott card churnable?
thanks!
Sure. Every 24 months!

Don't forget about the Marriott Canada card. 50K bonus and churnable, about every 18 months. But make sure you physically apply for it in Canada. Only Canadian card I know that will deny an app if applying physically from the U.S.

But let's get back to Hilton talk...

Another member of our churn team requested the upgrade to the 75K bonus from the 50K today. I'll keep y'all posted as to how our 2 requests go.

Last edited by Preacher7; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD

I made up a story and since I was already on the cal decided to ask about my new card, I asked what the credit limit was ( confirmed $13.5K ) and them asked if there were any points for spending $$$ on the card..............she said she sees that I will get 75,000 points for spending $2K in 3 months.................does it happen, who knows but it can't hurt that the rep sees the bonus on my acct.
I don't know how to multi-quote.. but here is your first post then on another you said

"No dice on the 75K as it was not mentioned in the approval letter so I am not making the spend."

So are you planning to hang on to the card?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:33 am

I don't know how to multi-quote
In the bottom right corner of every post are three icon buttons. From left to right, they are
  • Quote (labeled as such)
  • Multi-quote (plus sign & quotation mark)
  • Quick reply
Hovering your screen pointer over an icon will display mouseover text describing it.

To reply to multiple previous posts, click the multi-quote icon on each relevant post (preferably in the order in which you'd like to organize your reply). The icon on each selected post will turn red. Finally, scroll to the top or bottom of the page and select "Post Reply."

For more info, see this section of the FT FAQ.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:20 pm

I don't know how to multi-quote.. but here is your first post then on another you said

"No dice on the 75K as it was not mentioned in the approval letter so I am not making the spend."

So are you planning to hang on to the card?
Yes, one quote was from what the CSR VERBALLY told me and the other was from the letter that I received.

Most people here know to never trust what CSR's say but if you want to grab the 75K card ( and have had a card in the past 18 months) feel free to make the spend and see what happens.

I activated the card, lowered the limit to $3K ( just in case somebody here gets the card with no mention of the bonus , makes the spend and gets the 75K) for now, I will lower it to $1k when the 90 day window passes to make the spend and then cancel (along with the 4 other HH Visas I still have open) at the ~ 18 month mark after I am approved for my next HH Visa
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:25 am

I just got a 75K card but the approval letter never mentioned the bonus so I'm not spending the $2K but feel free to give it a shot
It is not a lot of spend and you will then know the answer for sure.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Yes, one quote was from what the CSR VERBALLY told me and the other was from the letter that I received.

Most people here know to never trust what CSR's say but if you want to grab the 75K card ( and have had a card in the past 18 months) feel free to make the spend and see what happens.

I activated the card, lowered the limit to $3K ( just in case somebody here gets the card with no mention of the bonus , makes the spend and gets the 75K) for now, I will lower it to $1k when the 90 day window passes to make the spend and then cancel (along with the 4 other HH Visas I still have open) at the ~ 18 month mark after I am approved for my next HH Visa
I was told by the agent that I did not qualify for the 75k points since I was not at the 18 mos mark (I researched and found that I had closed one back in June 2014 and presently have 2 cards)
I am waiting to see if they will grant the 40k points but not holding my breath on that one.
I lowered my $13.5 cl to $5k too.
I will probably try to get the reserve if this bonus is also shot down.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by cutnana
It is not a lot of spend and you will then know the answer for sure.
An extra $2k is a lot when you have to make $8K in spends by September and don't MS

I figured I would take one for the team and risk the HP, if you want to take it further ad make the spend I'm sure people here would love to know your results

I was told by the agent that I did not qualify for the 75k points since I was not at the 18 mos mark (I researched and found that I had closed one back in June 2014 and presently have 2 cards)
I am waiting to see if they will grant the 40k points but not holding my breath on that one.
I lowered my $13.5 cl to $5k too.
I will probably try to get the reserve if this bonus is also shot down.
Let me know on the 40K..........I would love to hear what they say if I call though..........gee sir you had 15 of these cards in the past 18 months, lol
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:41 pm

This thread is dead. The HH churn was the least loved among Citi churns, but I miss it just the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.