Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
ALL Citi HHonors application links are now DEAD.

Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends December 31, 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html .
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors VISA (no annual fee version) [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I just got my second card last month,so it appears that I should close the first now,so the 18 month clock starts again. Has anyone attempted to ask Citi to reallocate credit lines before I close the first card?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Consider MSing for Hilton points. Buy $500 GC at grocery stores with your Amex Hilton. At 5X, you'll be buying 10K HHonors points for typically $20. Not free stays, but discounted for sure!

Granted I'm not a MSer but how does a $500 spend at 5x points get me 10K HH points ?

Originally Posted by Auerbach
Regarding the 18 month time limit, my wife applied for the 60k offer by phone. They asked her if she had a Citi Hilton card opened in the last 18 months, and she said no. We didn't think much of it at the time, as we did not know about the 18 month limit. We'll as it turns out, she did have a Citi Hilton card opened 13 months ago, but they still approved her for the card and she still got the bonus after hitting the $1k spend req. This was all within the last 45 days.
When the info came for the card did it mention 60K bonus points the way the 50K churnable offer always did ? This may be helpful if some people apply and don't see the 60K (or whatever the bonus may be) mentioned and you did.

Originally Posted by beltway
Gary Leff blogged a referral link this morning, which I de-referral-ed.

If Citi is really enforcing the 18-month T&C, those of us who have been churning the late, lamented 50K offer really will have to sit on our hands & wait. However, the report above re phone approval (and earned bonus!) for the 60K card after a 13-month wait suggests the enforcement may not be altogether rigorous.
I'm going to apply for the 75K card............what do I have to lose, maybe I spend the $2k and don't get the points. My family has churned the HH visa for over 2 million points............If I spend $2k for nothing ( 4K HH actually) who cares.

Just approved for $13.5 K................I actually cancelled 6 cards last night.

I also saw a new message, it said I have 18k of remaining credit

Remaining Credit Available: $17825.00

Last edited by flyer4512; Jul 7, 2015 at 4:50 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
To clarify, having/had the Reserve card within 18 months doesn't disqualify one from getting this card correct? Asking since the Reserve can ambiguously considered a "Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card"
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
To clarify, having/had the Reserve card within 18 months doesn't disqualify one from getting this card correct? Asking since the Reserve can ambiguously considered a "Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card"

You are all set for the Signature card............I have never had a Reserve card so I'm in the other boat.

Two different cards, one has an AF certs and Gold Status , one has NAF , points and Silver Status
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Granted I'm not a MSer but how does a $500 spend at 5x points get me 10K HH points ?

When the info came for the card did it mention 60K bonus points the way the 50K churnable offer always did ? This may be helpful if some people apply and don't see the 60K (or whatever the bonus may be) mentioned and you did.

I'm going to apply for the 75K card............what do I have to lose, maybe I spend the $2k and don't get the points. My family has churned the HH visa for over 2 million points............If I spend $2k for nothing ( 4K HH actually) who cares.

Just approved for $13.5 K................I actually cancelled 6 cards last night.

I also saw a new message, it said I have 18k of remaining credit

Remaining Credit Available: $17825.00
How long has it been since you last applied for the card before going for the 75K?
Did you cancel the cards over the phone or by chat? Did they question you as to why you were canceling or question six cards?
Where did you see the message about remaining credit?
TIA
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
How long has it been since you last applied for the card before going for the 75K?
Maybe 10 days since my last 50K card as it arrived today.

Did you cancel the cards over the phone or by chat? Did they question you as to why you were canceling or question six cards?
I always use SM............no questions.............I also lowered my new card from $13.5 K to $5k today

I still have 3 ( now 4) HH Visas open as it was too soon to cancel them

Where did you see the message about remaining credit?
TIA
It was on a separate line under my credit limit for the card I got today
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:36 pm
jk2

Got my HH visa last week (50K+$50 offer). Sent a SM to match new offer - no go. Did anybody else try?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeflyin
I just got my second card last month,so it appears that I should close the first now,so the 18 month clock starts again. Has anyone attempted to ask Citi to reallocate credit lines before I close the first card?
The only time Citi allows reallocation is at card opening, before it is approved.

All other times, it not only requires a HP but may not even get approval.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gary Leff blogged a referral link this morning, which I de-referral-ed.

If Citi is really enforcing the 18-month T&C, those of us who have been churning the late, lamented 50K offer really will have to sit on our hands & wait. However, the report above re phone approval (and earned bonus!) for the 60K card after a 13-month wait suggests the enforcement may not be altogether rigorous.
The enforcement on the AA cards is by system not by human. People found that out first with their Exec cards when they did not get their bonuses, and the reps told them the bonus attached to the application was deactivated, or stripped off - not remember exactly how it was, but the reps could see the offer, only that the offer was not activated to those who did not get the bonus due to the 18 months being violated.

It remains a few more trail blazers to find out how the HHonors cards work.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, the report above re phone approval (and earned bonus!) for the 60K card after a 13-month wait suggests the enforcement may not be altogether rigorous.
But if the loophole turns out to be a phone application only (say, because the 18-month check is done by computer script which the phone application bypasses), that may not help with the 75k, since it doesn't have the same "or call XXX-XXX-XXXX" below the "Apply Now" that the 60k landing page has had.

My guess is that the 60k offer was created for a non-internet media ad of some sort (printed/TV/radio/whatever), and that's why a phone number was created for it. Offers which were intended to be promoted only on the internet don't need a phone number for applying.

At any rate, we have only one anecdote about the 60k phone app working so far (for someone who'd had an HH Visa in the past 18 months), and that anecdote includes the person applying misstating (by mistake, it appears) whether they had an HH Visa in the past 18 months, and the agent taking their word, instead of checking. So will it only work if we "lie" (since we know we had one in the past 18 months)???
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other people wondering if it works, that's who.

In other words, it'd be useful to others (and presumably to you), to find out sooner if you qualify for the 75k. Like look at the letter you get welcoming you to the card and please report here if it mentions the 75k. If it doesn't, call up Citi and ask for the signup terms of your offer on this card. If they say you didn't qualify for a signup offer, please report that here. Then you'll know ahead of time whether your spend will get any bonus or not.

Originally Posted by Happy
The enforcement on the AA cards is by system not by human. People found that out first with their Exec cards when they did not get their bonuses, and the reps told them the bonus attached to the application was deactivated, or stripped off - not remember exactly how it was, but the reps could see the offer, only that the offer was not activated to those who did not get the bonus due to the 18 months being violated.
How many people applied for the Exec card over the phone (instead of online)?

The claim of it being handled by a human in this HH case is only in this special case of an application over the phone, which is not available for most Citi credit card offers. The human asked the caller whether they'd had a Citi HH card in the past 18 months, the caller said no, and the human seemed to not double-check.

That wouldn't happen with an online app, even one checked by a human. The possibility seems to exist only for an app totally done by a human.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 7, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Other people wondering if it works, that's who.

In other words, it'd be useful to others (and presumably to you), to find out sooner if you qualify for the 75k. Like look at the letter you get welcoming you to the card and please report here if it mentions the 75k. If it doesn't, call up Citi and ask for the signup terms of your offer on this card. If they say you didn't qualify for a signup offer, please report that here. Then you'll know ahead of time whether your spend will get any bonus or not.

How many people applied for the Exec card over the phone (instead of online)?

The claim of it being handled by a human in this HH case is only in this special case of an application over the phone, which is not available for most Citi credit card offers. The human asked the caller whether they'd had a Citi HH card in the past 18 months, the caller said no, and the human seemed to not double-check.

That wouldn't happen with an online app, even one checked by a human. The possibility seems to exist only for an app totally done by a human.
I'll report what the letter says ( and if it says 75k if the points actually post) but I'm not calling Citi for a bonus I know I don't qualify for.

No 75K letter = no spend = no big deal.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Granted I'm not a MSer but how does a $500 spend at 5x points get me 10K HH points?
It doesn't. A $500 GC at a qualifying grocery store with your Amex Hilton gets you 2500 HHonors points for $5. $20 for 10K.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:55 pm

Apologies for interrupting a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with the Citi Hilton Visa: there's a new 75K offer with the 18-month restriction. I've updated the wiki.
Originally Posted by LWT3
Your threshold for objecting to marginally off-topic posts is pretty low. The brief discussion above is likely to be of interest to people who have been churning (or rapidly churning) the Citi HH card and are now looking for alternatives.

Not to mention this thread will be on page 4 of the Citi forum in a few weeks as 95% of the people who posted here wanted a RAPIDLY churnable card and may not even be able to get a HH signature Visa for 18 months.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:57 am

Does a decline count as an "open or close" in 18 months?

I was reviewing my tracking spreadsheet, and completely forgot about being declined for "too many inquiries"- had opened 2 other cards earlier in the day- Chase & Barclays. I hadn't broken the 8/65 day rule, but I guess I broke some other rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.